1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo DRW 500 recorder

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by rbrown, May 9, 2004.

1. faerykiss

faerykiss Member

OK, I got a stack of dvd+r's that work, The Tech Geek had them at a pretty good price, don't know how many coasters I'll get (I believe the brand is AML). Here's my problem they no longer make the SIMA 1 they have the SIMA 2 for $65.00, so hey, I thought I'd get one on ebay, well it came today and I can get the input to respond with video levels showing etc. but there seems to be no output, so I can't get a picture on my tv nor my recorder to record. Am I doing something wrong? It's pretty straight forward yellow video out from VHS player and yellow video in to DVD recorder. Before I write the guy at ebay and tell him it's defective, I need to know if it's me or not, he had a really good feedback etc. I want to record "ALL" my VHS and some DVD's so really need this thing to work. Or am I going to have to buy the SIMA 2? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Riverrat2

Riverrat2 Member

I'd email the eBay seller and level with him. Tell him that the SIMA 2 isn't working and ask him for his help to get it going. It can't hurt anything ! Let us know ! Good luck !

3. faerykiss

faerykiss Member

I did that, his feedback is excellent, only just let him know so need to give him time. I don't see how I could be goofing up the wires, it's pretty no brainer. I guess it must be defective, was just looking around for the cheapest SIMA 2, I want to get this done before my recorder decides to die like so many others in the past on this list have. Hopeing to get some of my money back on the SIMA 1 if possible, will wait a bit and if no luck on the SIMA 1 I will bite the bullet and get the SIMA 2, I guess.

4. faerykiss

faerykiss Member

Opps, I guess I didn't make myself clear, I bought the SIMA 1 on ebay since they don't make them anymore, cause I didn't want to spent the bucks on SIMA 2.

5. bobsatguy

bobsatguy Member

yes ,,I have directv and both my panasonic & my current toshiba record prem. ch's & PPV as well, my panasonic has been retired to just playback, but did hbo last week on my tosh.

6. Bferg23

Bferg23 Member

K, so HOW do I close dvd+r's after I have recorded something on the sanyo drw 500?

7. faerykiss

faerykiss Member

You don't really close it, you finalize it. Read the manual ;)

8. digit17

digit17 Guest

I've had my Sanyo DRW500 for a couple of years. Had bad results with Memorex DVD+R disks, but good luck with Maxcell DVD+R. A new problem has surfaced in the past few weeks. After recording four movies in E+ mode (total 5 hours, 20 minutes) with a chapter setting of four minutes, I can view all four movies without a problem, until I finalize the disk. After finalizing, I can see the four movie selections on the top menu, but get a "Disk Error" when I select a movie. Am I running out of disk space, during the finalization process?

9. usafret

usafret Guest

Hi digit17! You aroused my curiosity so I attempted to do the same thing you described (5 recordings, on EP+ for a total time of 5 hours and 25 minutes). I then finalized and all worked to perfection! So it is not that you are running out of space on finalizing. I use (faithfully) HP DVD+R discs and have never had any type problem with them. I started using HP discs after a wizard of this site (culttvguy) suggested them because they are so universal on different type players. You might try them out..
    OH YEA--HI CULT!!

10. TheHULK88

TheHULK88 Member

SANYO DRW-500

Oh yes, I have certainly have had BIG time problems with this unit. Just like the others here, I purchased this recorder at Walmart about the beginning of 2005. It has given me many headaches. At first I was able to record just fine using Maxell DVD+R discs, but, after a few weeks I ran out of luck. I cleaned the recorder with a DVD cleaner but that didn't work either. I went to Target and picked up a pack of TDK+R 8x, 16x and they seem to work just fine, BUT, the recorder still has a mind of its own. Out of a pack of 25 some discs will work but others you will end up throwing away (same experience as other members here). This weekend I left the recorder on timer and tried to record a few documentaries on TV at EP+ mode (chapters 30 minutes apart) and all discs failed. I can't even click on the "play" button and ended up throwing away about 4 discs with shows I will probably never see again on television. I'm very much into documentaries on the History Channel but this recorder just makes it impossible to keep :-(

What I have noticed is that (and I will try to explain in detail as best as I can) after the disc has failed, I have noticed that there is a wider gap after the first darker colored ring where the disc normally starts recording. On a good disc after being recorded and finalized in this unit, the same gap is a lot thinner. The problem is right there but I have no clue as in how to fix it. Next time a disc fails in your machine, compare it with a good disc and you too will notice this. I have no idea as to why it is doing this.

Something else which might be of help to anyone here. I cannot use Memorex on this system. I did read the Instruction Manual to see what discs are compatible with this recorder and to my surprise, none exist in my state. I called every store in town (even Best Buy) and no one carries it.

If anyone in here knows of a good DVD recorder, please leave a reply. I am very disappointed with Sanyo DRW-500.

Thank you.

P.S. I tried sending Sanyo an e-mail and they never replied.

11. Riverrat2

Riverrat2 Member

We've tried Sanyo 500's, RCA 8310s and RCA 8320's and Philips units. I like the RCAs best but they don't seem to last either. We don't abuse or over-use our units, we always keep things clean and units are covered when not in use, but they still don't last much longer than 6 weeks. We took every defective unit back to Wal-Mart and exchanged it for a new unit. Right now we have a 6 week old RCA 8320 that is going back Wednesday, was trying to record VHS to DVD and it completely froze up, even kept our VHS movie and new DVD +RW. So it pays to buy a backup unit. A few threads back tells of somone buying a Toshiba VCR/DVD recorder and he liked his alot, in fact he says the best unit ever. I wonder if he's changed his mind by now ? If anyone has the answer to a reliable unit, kindly let us all know and thanks! Glenn

12. bobsatguy

bobsatguy Member

Had a panasonic dmr-e20 , it sucked,, recorded about 80% of the time and that was using same media,, got a toshiba vcr/dvd recorder model d-vr4x,, great machine, records 100% , & I can relay on timer record. does only -r format, but all of them ie: -r,-r/w, & ram. auto dubs vhs to dvd, used on my home video's. have yet to see a brand it rejects, however I have only tried fujifilm, ridata, & sony. It sometimes goes 6.4 hours on slp mode, with dvd-r/w, and plays back in very good quality, twice as good as the panasonic @ that speed

13. mkrobins

mkrobins Member

Just purchased the DVR-500 and here's the problem...so far. I'm transferring old TV shows to DVD. The VCR is connected through the AV inputs on the DVD recorder. When the tapes hits a spot where the audio or video may not be real clear or strong, even if for just a few seconds, the recorder stops recording with a message such as "input changed". It starts recordering again in about 60 seconds. When it gets a weak signal, even for just a few seconds, it stops recording and then takes a few minutes to start again. Every time it does this, it creates a new title in the menu. THen, when I go to play the DVD, every time it hits a new title, it stops playing and goes to the title menu. So, now I have 13 titles, where the disc quits playing, because the unit was unhappy with the signal. Any solutions? I was thinking of inputing the VCR as an antenna, but I have already noticed the quality is degraded compared to input through the AV inputs.

14. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

Yes here is a good solytion scrap it get a new one thats better this nit was discontinyed last year.

I had one ysed it so mych byrned the laser oyt.

15. salts

salts Member

Hi everyone, I've realized that this thread is fairly old and not sure if anyone can help me. I just purchased a sanyo DRW500 recorder and I am experiencing problems with the sound...there is none. I have the recorder hooked up to my satellite dish receiver. Im confused because I believe I hooked everything up correctly. I get picture fine but no sound, can someone please help me with this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Shereen

16. CrimsonX

CrimsonX Member

I have been using this for a good couple of years now, but the only thing I been having trouble with is copying the RW's and putting them on my computer so I can burn then to a DVD+R discs.

Another thing is I can't seem to find a firmware update for it. I went to there site trying to look it up its not on there anymore I had it burnt to a disc at one time but I lost it and now I get around to updating the firmware and I can't find it anywhere on the net.

Looks like I'm going to try customer support they might help I doubt it though.

Oh, and for all who needs help with what type of DVD+RW's to use, get the Phillips DVD+RW 1-4X at RadioShack is where I get them. As for DVD+R's go you can use Memorex & Maxell they will work fine also.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  17. john jefferson

john jefferson Newbie

Yea sanyo drw 500 i have one but it wont take the dvd discs i purchased i could afford what i can afford i put a playo 1-16x dvd-r new one also disc it states no disc.Any information on what is the best dvd disc company for sanyo drw 500 it'll record then wont play the dvd disc it recorded im drove somewhere you can call from information also it reply takes 1-646-559-5717 john jefferson jbernj7@yahoo.com