1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo DRW 500 recorder

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by rbrown, May 9, 2004.

1. culttvguy

culttvguy Guest

Yup Genie,it will remove macrovision from tapes and DVD's.
    Any source running through the enhancer will have the macrovision eliminated and give you a clean outputted signal to record from.

2. dvdmoma

dvdmoma Member

hi everyone!!

thxx so much for everyone's help. i will let u guys know as soon as i get everything together. i'll be sure to check out ur site too, CULT.

dvdmoma

3. usafret

usafret Guest

Hey Folks---
    "(Houston)we have a problem." I recorded a ballgame Saturday and decided to view it today. There were numerous parts of the recording where the playback "froze" for a few seconds and didn't record for those few seconds; then would pick up again. I thought I could live with that but in the final quarter it froze so long that it shut down!! I have been doing so much recording of old vhs' tapes that I have not thoroughly checked out recording actual tv shows that well... Any solutions?? C'mon Cult, I am waiting on you.
    Thanks

Jerry

4. culttvguy

culttvguy Guest

hey Fret,it could be the disc itself.Have you finalized the disc yet? If not,finalize it (if +R disc)and then try it on another player and see if it does the same thing on the other player.
    If it does,you can be more or less sure that the disc was causing the problem.
    If it plays fine with no lock-ups,then it could be the Sanyo that was the problem,although it's not neccessarily the case.The Sanyo may not have likied that particular disc.Even if there was a problem with the disc,another machine may or may not pick up on it.
    Try recording another discs worth of any old stuff from TV,just to test it out and see what happens when you play that one back.Finalize it and then test it on another player again like you did with the first one.
    I always test discs on at least 2 machines just so i can get an idea of what machine likes to play or not play a particular disc.

This is all assuming that it is a +R,and not a +RW disc.I dont think the +RW's can be finalised,but i would not swear to that !! Some machines can play unfinalised +RW's,but not many that i have seen.

good luck with it,let us know how it goes

5. towcar3

towcar3 Member

USAFRET...Sometime the disc it self can get dirty ... this can happen even if its in a jewel case or smudges from your fingers(it has happened to me)...simply run it under a water faucet and make sure it is dry before you put it back into your machine to record....something else to remember...if the disc constantly reads its a sign the disc is dirty ..if it dosen't eject ..simply turn the machine off if it has a switch ..it should ???? eject if you try it again after you turn it on.....all dvd+r's need to be finalized..regardless of the machine

6. usafret

usafret Guest

Thanx for the suggestions Cult and Towcar... Tried everything you both suggested---no go!
    It is an RW disk so couldn't finalize it; don't have an extra dvd player so couldn't try that; nothing else worked.. Must just be the disc, recorded another tv show last night on a new RW and it is fine. The football game disc does not freeze at the same place each time, that's what is puzzling to me.. Sorta makes me sick; I am an avid Tennessee football fan and this was their best game in many moons... DID ANYONE OUT THERE RECORD THE TENN-FLA GAME????????? I'll buy a copy if there is...
    Thanx again to you both for the response.

Jerry

7. towcar3

towcar3 Member

USAFRET

8. towcar3

towcar3 Member

USAFRET

Sorry to hear you didn't find your problem..you don't need to finalize RW's as they are the eraseable type disc's...I have a suggestion for you..find someone who has a dvd player that can play recordable disc's ..not all do ....or put it in your computer if you have a dvd player in it ..I suspect your dvd recorder if it varies location on the disc...if it is the disc if would stay at one location..or so I think...Im guessing ...unfortunely I can't help you on your football game as I live in the Pacific Northwest..in the Seattle area...if by chance I would of recorded it ....it would be yours free of charge ..I send recordings of the Simpsons to a friend who is in the Army in Irag

9. suzzie

suzzie Member

I have been reading this thread for quite sometime and have gotten a little smarter about the Sanyo 500,(a Walmart special)and I also purchased a Sima CT-2. My problem is that I do not know how to properly connect it to my equipment. If I'm in the wrong forum, I apologize, I'm really new to this. Could anyone help me? Thanks

10. usafret

usafret Guest

Hi Suzzie and Welcome Aboard!! I'm surprised Culttvguy hasn't jumped all over this question (just ribbing u Cult)..
    I have the CT-1 and works great but i went to the site I purchased it from and it appears to be quite different than my CT-1.. Did find this at the Sima site though.. It will help you but if Culttvguy responds before you contact Sima take his word and advise.. Sima Corp: Contact them at GoDVD@simacorp.com or call them at 1-800-345-7462..
    The CT2 sounds a little more sophisticated than the CT1 but appears to be a better product.
    Let me know what you find out; I just might get the CT2 later but the other is working OK.
    Good Luck! Jerry

11. suzzie

suzzie Member

Thank you for responding so fast. I contacted Sima today and will let you know when they contact me. I am sure I will be back with more questions or maybe with some helpful information once I get this all set up. This is such a great site, and am glad you are all here to share your knowledge. Thanks again.

12. usafret

usafret Guest

You're welcome suzie. Wish I could have helped more but when I read that the ct2 had four connections I wasn't sure so I didn't guess.. If it works as good as this ct1 you will be well pleased. Be sure and keep me informed as to how it goes. When I bought my 500 - WallyWorld Special :-} - this site, particularly culttvguy walked me through a lot of problems.. It's a great site and you can trust the advice you get most of the time, I like it also..
    Have A Great Day
    Jerry

13. usafret

usafret Guest

Hi People!
    Anyone out there know of a good "universal" brand of dvd that can be used on this 500 and a computer cd/dvd?
    I thought I had found a solution to this when I started using Memorex, that is until today. I recorded a tv program on a Memorex dvd+rw and took it to a friends house for him to see. He only has a computer cd/dvd player and it will not recognize the recording I made.. Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Jerry

14. culttvguy

culttvguy Guest

Hey Fret,the ones i normally get are HP 2.4x +r discs from www.asenashop.com $31.95 for 25 on a spindle with free Priority shipping.I have ordered from them about 6 times and each time i get it within 2 days.I havent had any problems with the HP discs,on my 500,Philips recorder or my PC.

And the reason i didnt answer that other question before is because i've just been away for 10 days and just got back.

If Suzzie is reading this,i cant really comment on the Ct-2,as i have not used one.I am sure that the connections are fairly easy to work out.They should be labelled input and output and colour coded so that you can use the correct RCA cables.
    Can you be more specific on the problem you are having ? IE,what equipment are you trying to connect to it,and what outputs does it have? You should be able to connect them all with the red/white/yellow RCA cables at the very least without any problems.

15. suzzie

suzzie Member

Welcome back culttvguy. I guess I can figure it out, I'm just timid about pulling wires out and plugging new ones in. I didn't get any help from Sima anyway. I am going from VCR to Sanyo recorder.
    Like I wrote in earlier message, I have been reading this thread a long time. I took your advice and bought the HP-discs from Asenashop and they were here in two days. If I run into any more problems, which I'm sure I will, I'll be back. I will be back to let you all know if it is going well too. Thanks for all the help.

16. culttvguy

culttvguy Guest

Hi Suzzie,I just ordered another batch of HP's from Asena today too,they seem to be good discs with very little problems.

As for your CT-2,I'm not sure of the sockets it has,but it should have at least a yellow RCA input and a yellow RCA output.(It may also have S-video connectors also,but i havent seen a picture of one so i can say for sure,but if it does you can use that method in place of the yellow cable.)

The most basic way is to use the Yellow RCA Video connectors.On the back of your VCR,run the Red and white RCA cables directly into the Sanyo recorder.Run the Yellow cable from the VCR into the CT-2,and another yellow cable from the output of the CT-2 to the Sanyo.

You only need to run the yellow one(video) through it,not the audio cables.
    Once you have done that,set the Sanyo to the correct AV input that you plugged it into,and then you should see the picture from your VCR going through to the TV.
    Play a cassette on the VCR and see how the picture looks.If it look fuzzy or goes from dark-light-dark and wobbles around,you need to turn on the enhancer to stabilise the picture.

I cant imagine it being any different from the one i have,they are all basically the same.I believe the CT-2 has PAL and NTSC support so you can back up tapes bought in the US or UK if you need to.

Also,don't worry about not being able to put the cables back in the correct place after removing them,all the sockets on the VCR/DVD recorder will be clearly marked.But let us know if you do get problems with that and we will try to help.

Let us know how it goes.

17. culttvguy

culttvguy Guest

Just thought i'd let you guys know that Office Depot are doing a special offer on Philips DVD+r discs,two 25 packs for the price of one.$29.95.I bought 3 and got 3 free.Thats 150 discs for $90 !!The discs are 1 - 2.4x
    I dont know if it is in all outlets,but in my local store the offer is good until 23rd Oct i think.
    good luck

18. usafret

usafret Guest

Hi Cult! Haven't gotten around to ordering the HP discs yet.. Do those Philips work on all your recorders/players?? I'll check my local outlet and see if they have the sale.

Thanx

Jerry

19. culttvguy

culttvguy Guest

Hey Fret,I've tried them on my Philips recorder and they work fine.I just used one on my PC HP200i burner and it worked without problems too,so i say,go for it.Stockpile a few packs for future use.Thats what i did because i've already used half the HP ones i got the other day.

20. karen57

karen57 Member

After my previous post about not being able to watch +R recorded on the Sanyo 500, I found a WalMart that exchanged the unit for another. It still does the same thing. I can record on both the RW+ and the R+, but the R+ still will not play in any other DVD. Is anyone else having this problem? If not, maybe I'm doing something wrong, even though I have read the manual over and over. Unless I can resolve this problem, I've wasted $250.00