1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

saorview viewing

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by thepacman, May 29, 2011.

1. thepacman

thepacman Guest

is there a box that has the rte channels and the free channels from sly on it like itvs and bbcs and so on .theres a sly plus dish on the house and there is a little box in the house for cable from nthell .its my parents house and im just looking for a compatble easy to use box and suggestions if theres any available and are the 2 outlets ive named good enough to recieve them

2. dub12dave

dub12dave Regular member

There are now plenty of combo boxes out there for what you want check here http://www.tvtrade.ie/ they have a few, also check out boards.ie they have a great section there which will help you even more.

3. thepacman

thepacman Guest

thanks dub12dave

4. jondalor

jondalor Regular member

you will have to have an aerial to receive rte the group of the arial will depend on what part of the country you are in, you will also need a saorview box or tv with a mpeg4 tuner ie new tv, not from britain eg goodmans, thompson as they use mpeg2.

5. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Sorry but you dont need a special aerial, I picked this using a coat hanger, yes a coat hanger, in the back of a Edison Combi box, which is a SAT and MPEG4 decoder, so it picks up the HD rte chans via the mpeg 4 tuner using a coat hanger and the sat side is connected to the Sky dish and you will get all the FTA chans including BBC HD, ITV HD, if your TV is a MPEG4 TV, a simple aerial is needed, unless you live on craggy island then you may need an aerial,

6. dub12dave

dub12dave Regular member

The aerials from the pound/euro shops are also good enough to use but as MICKAH said it depends on where you live.

7. jondalor

jondalor Regular member

i didn't say you needed a special arial just an arial, in your case you are obviously in a very high sinal area, this is not always the case, a standard rte arial can be picked up for less than 10 euro, it may need to be installed on a chimney, or on a pole, make sure it's the right group for your area, but i agree, a combi box is the right way to go if you don't already have a fta sat box

8. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Aye, depends where you are but stick a aerial or a hanger in the back before partng with readies on an aerial, seen them work with a aerial out of powercity, hangers, a powered rabbits ears etc, The pic on some of the boxs are very good, some you can add extras to em such as a share, so in effect your getting the full line up of Irish chans and sat chans

9. jondalor

jondalor Regular member

an arial out of powercity or powered rabbit ears will cost a lot more a standard outdoor rte arial, you could also try rte arial in attic. another thing to bear in mind is that if you go with a combi or digital terestial box that does not have seaorview sticker on it, it will not have mheg5 middleware, that means no teletext on hd channels and also in the future no red button features like ppv or picture behind picture.

10. cactikid

cactikid Active member

triax combo does not have the saorview sticker and mheg5,got in powercity for one hundred and forty euro.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  11. saorview

saorview Member

If they had a saorview sticker on it, they should be reported. It IS NOT SAORVIW APPROVED. If they are indeed doing that, I'm sure the folks at saorview.ie would be very interested as power city are a saorview registered retailer. I'b be surprised if they were doing that to be honest.

12. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

there goes another can of worms! lol

13. cactikid

cactikid Active member

i will go down and have another look.
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-23-THD537&pages=1&prod=THD537&brands=TRIAX&image=

maybe i mixed up looking at boxes 1 is approved other has no approval my one is the combo
    will check further into it and report back.

it was the terrestrial one that has the saorview approved logo on packaging which was underneath the combo one i picked up has no label saying approved,sorry for any confusion.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  14. saorview

saorview Member

I was thinking that. Even though there is some underhanded tactics being used by some retailers, would have been really surprised if the likes of power city were indulging in such things.