1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saorview

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by johnwright1, Dec 14, 2011.

1. johnwright1

johnwright1 Member

Saorview is a new digital TV system in Ireland which has bought a change to digital TV industry.

Reda moere:- Saorview

2. menace404

menace404 Member

What does this post have to do with anything??? Saorview has been around for a while now....I think alot of people are up to speed with it (they need to be for the analog switch off at the end of 2012).
    What I would like to see is some more development on Saorsat which is Saorview via satellite. They were running tests on 9degrees East during the summer but now the signals have disappeared. Hopefully they realised the Ka-Sat signal they were testing on was a load of crap (because it requires a totally different LNB than that used on a Sky dish or any other satellite dish in Europe for that matter) and they are thinking of using a more standard transponder like Astra 28degrees east.

3. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

menace, is there any chance they could or would run saorview on 28.2

4. menace404

menace404 Member

I think it would be great but it is highly unlikley due to the fact that the footprint for nearly every transponder on 28degrees east is covering half of europe which leads to licensing rights for some events such as champions league, glee and some other high profile programming. RTE cannot broadcast this programming unencrypted across europe. However, there is a channel on 13degrees east though called LIDER TV which is a free to air channel again covering most of europe. this channel airs premier league matches and when it does they reduce the power output of the transponder for the few hours the game is on therefore only supplying the country footprint it is broadcasting into (which is georgia i think). If RTE could do this on one of the 28degrees east ransponders then it would be problem solved and it would save them a fortune by not having to rent space on 9degrees east satellite.

5. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

menace, thanks for that. interesting. as you might agree most sat dishes in uk and ireland are pointed at 28.2 so it would be fab if rte transmitted on this sat and were able to limit their transmissions to a particular footprint.