1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sata drive problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by garyanson, Oct 19, 2007.

1. garyanson

garyanson Member

i am trying to install vista on my new sata drive i have unplugged the ide drives and when i go through the install process it comes up with "this computers hardware may not support booting to this disk, ensure that the disks controller is enabled in the computers bios menu" then when you press next it says "windows is unable to find a volume that meets its criteria for installtion" i have looked in the bios and the sata is enabled but it doesnt show the drive in there were as when i tried to install windows it found the drive.

2. AXT

AXT Guest

This problem occurs if:
    1.)The computer has two or more uninitialized hard disks.
    2.)You started the computer by using Windows Vista installation media.

This problem occurs because Windows Vista cannot distinguish between
    ambiguous hard disks.

In versions of Microsoft Windows Setup that are earlier than Windows Vista setup, hard disks are marked with distinct values to distinguish them. However, this method of distinguishing hard disks is no longer supported because of the potential for data corruption on hard disks.

To resolve this problem:
    1. Create one or more partitions on all the hard disks that are not initialized.
    2. Restart the computer.
    3. Install Windows Vista.

Make sure that the only things connected to your computer are the mouse, keyboard, and monitor.