1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SATA DVD-RW drive not found by Windows XP

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by scruff311, Nov 30, 2007.

1. scruff311

scruff311 Member

I just got a LITE-ON LH-20A1S SATA DVD-RW drive yesterday and hooked it up. My BIOS detects it and I have enabled the SATA ports. My motherboard is an ABIT IS7-V2. The setting for enabling the SATA is called 'Enchanced' mode where SATA port 1 is referred to as IDE-3 Master. The problem is that when I boot up windows, it doesn't even know my new DVD-RW exists. What could possibly be the problem here? Usually windows will display 'Found new hardware' followed by 'Your hardware is installed and ready to use' at which point i can update the firmware and be ready to roll. This is my first SATA device I've ever tried to use on this computer so I don't have any prior experience with them. Help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

ok this happens quite often,

1)go start
    2) control panel
    3) make sure the window is in category view, change by going to the left hand corner of the screen, the option will be underlined
    4) select the option printers and other hardware
    5)select the option ADD HARDWARE
    [​IMG]
    then a wizard will open(this may take some time)

[​IMG]

follow through with the wizard, it'll pick up the hardware and install it with the supported windows drivers, you will probably see a bubble on the task manager pop up and tell you to settle down everything is done, check to see if the drive pops up in mycomputer

*hint*if that didn't work- try going start>right click on my computer>select the option properties> go hardware tab> select the device manager> run the scan for changes option at the top of tool bar

-if none of this works then post back
    (is the power connection all the way in, the bios will pick up some devices that aren't even powered, check for dust)

3. wrawlind

wrawlind Member

Hi,

I have this exact same problem: I just purchased a Samsung SH-S203N SATA DVD-RW drive. My motherboard is an Albatron Intel 865PE/PE Pro. The new drive shows up in the BIOS, although I have to admit, I don't really understand the difference in the SATA 150 chip settings ("Enhanced" vs "Auto" vs "Combined" etc), as several of them can detect my new SATA drive.

When I first installed the drive, XP found the new hardware and installed some IDE controllers (Primary and Secondary or something of the like). I followed both of the steps that tripplite suggested above (power cable is connected), but no matter what I do, XP just doesn't see the new drive even though it's in the BIOS. I have 2 internal EIDE hard drives (1 master, 1 slave), an EIDE DVD-ROM and an EIDE DVD-RW. I've never owned a SATA device either so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    -R

4. wrawlind

wrawlind Member

So here's what I thought after doing a little research (if I'm wrong, please let me know):

XP does not support AHCI so it has to run my SATA DVD-RW in IDE emulation mode. But since XP also has an IDE device limit of 4 devices, it wasn't recognizing my drive because I was already at the limit (2 HDDs + 1 DVD-ROM as Master + 1 DVD-RW as Slave).

So I removed the DVD-RW drive. Again, my BIOS recognized the hardware update. However, XP still won't find my new SATA DVD-RW.

I've tried this with a variety of BIOS setting but to no avail. Unless you guys tell me otherwise, I'm going to assume that my new SATA DVD-RW was DOA.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have.
    -R