1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SATA DVD-RW drive not seen by Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by scruff311, Dec 1, 2007.

1. scruff311

scruff311 Member

I just got a LITE-ON LH-20A1S SATA DVD-RW drive yesterday and hooked it up. My BIOS detects it and I have enabled the SATA ports. My motherboard is an ABIT IS7-V2. The setting for enabling the SATA is called 'Enchanced' mode where SATA port 1 is referred to as IDE-3 Master. The problem is that when I boot up windows, it doesn't even know my new DVD-RW exists. What could possibly be the problem here? Usually windows will display 'Found new hardware' followed by 'Your hardware is installed and ready to use' at which point i can update the firmware and be ready to roll. This is my first SATA device I've ever tried to use on this computer so I don't have any prior experience with them. Help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

Is the light on the drive showing on at the BIOS screen? Do you know what I mean? The BIOS finds all the drives at boot and displays them on the black boot screen. This is the first place I look in an attempt to discern the problem.
    Go to device manager and do a scan for hardware changes and see if the new drive is picked up.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007