1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sata hard disk with 8mb and 16 mb cache difference

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by TY4ever, Apr 8, 2007.

1. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

Hi!I just got my brand new maxtor sata hard disk 320gb but to my surprise it's not as exactly as i thought it to be,first i thought it would be with 16mb cache as it was described by the place i bought it but in fact when i went to the maxtor official website and checked at the specific model i got,it's 8mb cache and not 16mb.

I'm not a big expert in pc stuffs so i don't really know the difference between the 8mb and 16mb cache.Does it have a huge difference in terms of performance or speed or some other things like that?Because i got the hard disk at a very affordable price and returning it would be quite complicated,so if there's no real big difference,i rather keep it and just forget about it,but if not,then i should consider about complaining with the guy with whom i bought it.

Thanks in advance.

Vincent.

2. willpow3r

willpow3r Member

There isn't much of a difference between 8mb and 16mb of cache. The hard drive with 16mb of cache will obviously perform a little bit better but the difference is hardly noticeable. I would recommending buying the 16mb cache since it is only a few dollars more but since you already have a hard drive, don't bother returning it for a hard drive with 16mb of cache. If you really want the 16mb then you can complain to the store of false advertising.
    -Willpow3r