1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sata & Mobo PSU Questions

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by patchogue, Feb 24, 2008.

1. patchogue

patchogue Guest

Hello All!
    I was hoping that someone could help me on these probably really stupid questions.

- I have a Deskstar Sata HD. It has both molex & SATA power conectors. Should I use both or just the SATA connector?

- My other question relates to the mobo. It has both a 24 pin & 4 pin connectors on it. But my PSU (ultra 500W ATX) only has a 24 that can be split & plugged in 20 & 4. Should I split it up or just go with the 24?

Thanx in advance to any help you can give.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

on the drive power connectors, use either 1 but not both. are you certain there is not a 4pin connector hiding amongst the other cables as the 4pin off the 24pin connector is not compatible with the motherboard's 4 pin connector?

3. patchogue

patchogue Guest

Thanx for the quick reply. OK on the HD. But no there isn't a 4 pin connector, but there is however an 8 pin 12V EPS connector for a server / workstation board that can be splid apart to make 2 4 pin connectors. They do line up with the 4 pin CPU plug.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what do you mean by "the 4pin cpu plug? do you mean the motherboard plug & not the cpu fan plug?

5. patchogue

patchogue Guest

Yes, sorry about that the ATX 12V power connector.