1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sata mode or raid mode

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by hoddey, Jan 21, 2008.

1. hoddey

hoddey Regular member

i have a asus p5w dh deluxe motherboard I'm going to put to more hard drive in there 2+250gb and 2+500gb i got them free from a mate just wondering what will be best to put them in sata mode or raid .I'm going to use the 500gb hard drive for music and video .cheers

2. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

RAID can be any logical disks, so what do you mean by "SATA MODE"?

3. cybrspwn

cybrspwn Member

by sata mode i think he/she means normal sata connection setup and raid is two or more hdds setup as one combined hdd that uses half the space of each hdd and that allows you to have your hdd backed up on all raided drives so it can prevent errors and data loss etc. and read and write to and from the raided drives faster and thats y people use it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd avoid using RAID unless you're setting up a proper array, for which I'd say you'd want to use a minimum of five drives. For four individual drives, they're probably best left that way.

5. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Yea I know what RAID is, just wasn't sure what they meant by SATA mode.

If you have four SATA drives id set the first two drives on a RAID 1+0 and use the other two as hot-spares.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

doesn't RAID1+0 requires four drives?

7. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

So you would actually have a RAID 1 setup on the first two drives and the other two drives would be used as hot-spares. Best way to go IMO because you have the two extra drives for backups in case either of the first two drives fail.

And no, you don't have to have four drives to setup a RAID 1+0, two drive max.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2008
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

yeah, so you'd need six drives. four for the 1+0 array and two as the left-alones. RAID1+0 last time I checked was two stripes mirrored together, or two mirrors striped together.

9. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Yes, that is correct. A RAID 1+0 is two drives mirrored, so you would need either 2 drives to make a RAID 1+0 or 4 drives to make a RAID 1+0 and so on but, in this case, we are going to use 4.

Drives 1 and 2 - RAID 1+0
    Drives 3 and 4 - RAID 1+0

So for every one drive you have in your system, it has to have a "backup/mirror" to replace that drive if one were to fail. So you can't have a system with a 3 drive RAID 1+0. I forgot that there isn't support for hot spares in this configuration due to the fact that there is already a backup drive in the case that one goes out.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think words may be failing me here in terms of how to express this, but I always thought that mirroring a drive was just RAID 1. To have RAID 1+0 you'd have to take two pairs of drives (two mirrored pairs) and stripe them together, which'd need four drives.

11. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

I know you can setup a RAID 1+0 with only two drives because I just setup a RAID 1+0 on the server in front of me. You're right about the whole 4 drive thing but, in some cases, the ACU will allow you to configure a two drive RAID 1+0 and then it's actually just a RAID 1.

With RAID 1+0 in a 4 drive config, two drives are mirrored and striped to the other two, so 4 36GB drives will give you a 72GB mirrored AND striped array. With only 2 36GB drives, your only gonna get a 72GB mirrored array, no striping at all.

Hope we are both on the same page now.

:0)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2008
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ahh I see, that's really interesting.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me!

13. cybrspwn

cybrspwn Member

with raid 1 if 1 drive fails the other still works and has the data from the other drive so its as if the dead drive is still operable thats why it backs up the data on both drives

14. hoddey

hoddey Regular member

15. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Do you have a controller you could hook them to?

16. hoddey

hoddey Regular member

im sorry but i dont no what a controller is

17. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Like this:

SATA PCI card

What kind of slots do you have on your motherboard? PCI-E PCI-X?

18. higgielk

higgielk Guest

Looks like you only have 5 Sata ports with 2 IDE ports. If everything is Sata, you are a port short. Either trade one of the dvd drives for IDE or buy an adapter card. better yet get two dvd ide drives. There isn't a whole lot of difference in them. I have both...

19. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Ahh, save yourself the trouble and get a pci card. Not only will you be able to connect your dvd drives to it, there will also be room if you want to upgrade to more storage.

Here's another one with two internal SATA ports.