1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saved mpeg's using Womble

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by djcsurf, Jun 9, 2004.

1. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

Ive used mpeg-vcr 3.14 to trim some mpeg files. The saved files will not play using the windows media player (or any other)only in Womble, but the original files play perfectly fine. Any suggestions please.

WinXP Pro
    DirectX 9.0b

2. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

In addition to above post, ive checked all the files in question using AVIcodec and they all appear fine!

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Well can you copy-paste the File, Video and Audio lines here so we can have a look?

Do they play in a software DVD player? :)

4. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

I just tried playing them in Power DVD and they worked :)
    Will post the AVIcodec specs shortly for an original and womble saved mpeg file

5. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

Original File:
    File : 44 MB (43 MB), duration: 0:03:21, type: MPG, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 72 %
    Video : 38 MB, 1600 Kbps, 29.970 fps, 352*240 (4:3), MPG1 = MPEG 1 (VCD), Supported
    Audio : 5.37 MB, 224 Kbps, 44100 Hz, 2 channels, 0x51 = Mpeg-1 audio Layer 2 [0xc0], Supported

Womble Saved File:
    File : 41 MB (41 MB), duration: 0:03:09, type: MPG, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 72 %
    Video : 36 MB, 1600 Kbps, 29.970 fps, 352*240 (4:3), MPG1 = MPEG 1 (VCD), Supported
    Audio : 5.4 MB, 224 Kbps, 44100 Hz, 2 channels, 0x51 = Mpeg-1 audio Layer 2 [0xc0], Supported

6. Praetor

I think you need to install the Windows Media PLayer 8 and Windows Media Player 9 Codecs to get the MPEG1 support working properly. For MPEG1 (VCD) you should be able to play them in WMP however MPEG2 (SVCD) requires a dvd player :)

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/48608

7. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

ok, thanks.
    I'll follow the guide for codec installation and see if it solves the problem. If i do a fresh install do you think it might work using WMP9 or should i definately go for WMP8

8. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

Ive done a format (as was needed anyway) took your advice and installed WMP9 Codecs to WMP8 but the files saved using Womble are still not recognised. Do other users of Mpeg-vcr have this problem!
    Anymore suggestions or will i just have to play them using DVD software.

9. Praetor

I would stick to WMP8 ... its a lot faster and stabile (not to mention the default skin isnt to goddamn ugly hehe)

Did you install the WMP8-codecs to WMP8 too? I believe one of the "updates" in the WMP8 codec pack (which isnt in WMP9-codec-pack is a MPEG1 related update, might be worth checking out).

Interesting indeed because here is says your computer has support for those files ... it's also interesting that your VCD bitrate is 1600Kbps .... I thought VCD standard was 1150Kbps ... if you change that, does the problem get fixed? :)

10. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

This mpeg also does't play:
    Video : 32 MB, 1150 Kbps, 29.970 fps, 352*240 (4:3), MPG1 = MPEG 1 (VCD), Supported
    Ive updated WMP8 with the update codecs but still no luck.
    I cant understand it, before i edit them using mpeg-vcr they play perfectly in WMP.
    Ive come across the same problem in a different forum but that never got resolved.
    Keeping my fingers crossed for ya Praetor :)

11. Praetor

To be honest I havnt the foggiest lol ... so the MPEGs play fine until you pass them through Womble and the stuff that comes out doesnt play anymore (do they play in PowerDVD/WinDVD?)

Ill give this some thought .... what functionality do you require from Womble? :)

12. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

They play fine in PowerDVD once edited and fine in WMP pre edit.
    I only use Womble for the GOP Trim function, no more.
    Other edit software causes glitches when trimming mpeg files as you may already know.
    I try to keep the PC in top nick which is why this little problem is so bugging :)
    (All the mpeg's in question are music vid's)

13. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

HI Praetor,
    Ive dl the VideoLan media player and it plays all my files perfectly.
    Would be interested to know your opinion on it, thats if you've tried it yet. So far so good imo
    Thanks for trying to help me out anyways

14. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Just out of curiosity, when you edited the problem MPEGs did you trim anything from the very beginning? The reason I ask is that when you trim on anything besides an I frame I believe it creates a closed GOP (meaning the B frames don't reference the next GOP) and I've heard of encoders having problems reading closed GOPs from MPEG-VCR. However, even if this is a problem the file should play until the first edit, so if you're not cutting frames from the beginning I doubt this is it.

15. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

Some of the problem Mpeg files were trimmed beginning and end, which would make your theory perfectly logical. Tho a couple of the files i ran through mpeg-vcr without editing them, just saving as..
    and they dont work. Can anybody who uses womble mpeg-vcr play there saved files through WMP

16. halala

halala Member

I have the same problem playing mpg files edited by womble mpg edittor using WMP9, I tried using methods suggested , but failed . The file can be played using real player.
    Finally, I think the best method is to convert the edited file using some other converter e.g EO video or EZ converter, it works. It's a bit messy, but who else can suggest better & easier ways ?

17. halala

halala Member

hi, I'm here again.
    I just discovered that if you save the edited video in MPEG-1 System stream video CD(not audio+video multiplex), then it can be played smoothly in WMP9.
    My Womble version is MPEG-VCR V3.14(MPEG-2)(05/2004)

18. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

Thanks halala,
    That problem had been buggin' me for some time

Big thanks :)

19. liftrasir

liftrasir Member

am i missing something or is this program completely useless (for my purpose)?

i want to trim parts of mpeg files (all encoded the same way with TMPGEnc) to fit them on a cd.
    the trimming is great, mpeg video wizard (or either mpeg vcr, i tried both) does a great job at that. the only problem is that automatic export is set to mpeg1 system, and not video cd (wich is the format the files where encoded to. if i change to video cd it reencodes the video. of course i dont want that.
    and if i go with the automatic, it saves the file in a diferent format. if i analise it with gspot it shows the stream has a sys bitrate of 1500 instead of 1411.
    this results in when it comes to burning.. each video minute occupies more than 10 mb. and i end up with the 77 minutes not fitting to an 80 min cd, acouting to more than 850 megas if i recall.

okay. is there a way, with this software or any else, to trim my mpeg and leaving them on the vcd format?

20. halala

halala Member

Did you trim with womble, which version you are using?
    if you are using MPEG-VCR V3.14, I think there shouldn't be any problem.
    Just save as MPEG-1 System stream video CD, then burn with Nero or any other into VCD.
    Did I get the correct point? Or is that what you want?