1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saw this one coming.....

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by wilkes, Feb 21, 2004.

1. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

http://www.audiorevolution.com/news/0204/20.dvdruling.html
    So 321 studios DVD Xcopy is now officially illegal.
    Must say that I saw this one coming, and it is going to be just the beginning.
    Next on the list, using this decision as a landmark ruling, will be ALL bit for bit capable copying/ripping applications.
    Closely followed, I suspect, by any drive capable of writing in RAW mode.

I've said it before, and I'm afraid it needs saying again: We are going to get screwed by the copyright & patent lawyers.
    Thanks a bunch to everyone who brags about how easy it is to download, and how they will never pay, and this is what inevitably happens - the rest of us have to pay the price.

2. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Patent lawyers make good money, I thought about it for a second once. I just hope this doesnt set a presidend for music backups. Not only backing things up is good, but the software that people endup creating is really good for general music and video editing and mixing. I would like more music editing software.

3. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

This is the tip of the iceberg. The landmark ruling has come in, and it will be used as a legal precedent. Very easy to move goalposts once they have been placed.

4. WMSII

WMSII Member

It seems to me that the MPAA wants to head off a catastrophe similar to what we (the news-reading public) have been led to believe has happened to the record industry: file-sharing has killed business. But sales of DVDs continue to grow at a faster pace than VHS (simpler and cheaper to copy and trade!) ever did. I think that if the MPAA (or whoever) wants to keep making money, it needs to avoid what has been killing the record industry, which I believe is the failure of most retailers to carry a wide selection. I base this idea on my observation of what has happened to the music store/record store/media outlet in the past fifteen years. Most chains carried new releases, catalogue titles, and imports. Now new releases are all that make it to the shelves. I think most people would like to own a legitimate copy of a title they like, but where are they going to buy it? Next time you're at the mall, Wal Mart, or Best Buy, check to see which of your favorite classics are in stock--you'd be surprised at how few are on the shelf. Wal Mart and others are all too willing to carry import-everything but they don't carry import CDs (or movies, for that matter).
    So what's the point? If retailers don't offer the public a selection, the public will find a new source that has a selection. And as in most things digital, whatever roadblocks "the man" (ha ha) sets up will be circumvented by a clever programmer. Most folks want legitimate, high-quality products when they can get them. When they can't, they settle for the low-res crud that exists on file-sharing networks. Sorry for boring everyone.

5. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

It has already started getting worse.
    There is a new act going through the European Parliament RIGHT NOW that will give copyright holders, not police, the right to enter your home, confiscate your assets & freeze your bank accounts if you have stuff from a P2P network that is copyrighted - WETHER YOU MAKE MONEY FROM IT OR NOT!

Please don't churn out the tired old argument that either
    A/. it doesn't mean me,
    B/. I'll download what I want,
    C/. I'm only using it personally etc etc.

IT DOES MEAN YOU.

Check it out if you won't take my word for it. Do a search for "European Union Directive for the Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights", and prepare to be shocked.

I quote from Reuters:
    "The legislation would allow copyright owners, such as record labels, to raid P2P users' homes if they suspect the user for sharing copyrighted material via P2P networks. It would also allow copyright owners to seize users' assets and get their bank accounts frozen whether they had any financial -- or any other -- gain from file sharing or not."

Get your collective heads out of the clouds, or wherever they are.
    Refusal to do something about this is at best naivety, and at worse crass stupidity.
    The days of ALL filesharing, unless you own the copyrights, are almost over.

6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Then we should try and push through the State of Florida legisation. That accept for Police, you are allowed to shoot on site anyone entering you property. Something that would only pass in the USA, but would be good if this one goes through.

But I question, what articles of ID do you need? Could I then randomly enter someones house and take all there movies, music, and computer? Sounds like they are legalizing B&E without the breaking.

7. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Good points, sir! It's a worry, that's for sure.
    I'm going to find a copy of the proposed legislation and post it somewhere for all who are interested.

My big issue at the moment is the threatening letters from the UK Patent office. Apparently vinyl restoration to CD/DVD is illegal in the UK, with an unlimited fine & up to 10 years jail.
    No exceptions.
    The word that comes to mind cannot be written in a public forum!

8. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Wilkes, come to think of it I am surprised you would be against this. If it goes through, flash you badge at someones place and you get CD`s and a computer for free. That would be great. I think I will get some copywrites on random stuff So I can get free stuff.

About that vinyl thing, just say it was 45`s, they were made of slightly different plastic then the 35`s. You can get away on a technicallity. Thats what law school teaches you. There is no illegal, its just what loop holes you can find.

9. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I'm in the U.K aswell and have become increasingly anxious about how the british are following very strict guidelines ...much the same as U.S
    You SHOULD definitely be able to back up whatever vinyl you own , the same as you are on a tap to tape deck or DVD to DVD-R !!

I hate living on this sinking boat , more commonly known as Gt.Britain sometimes.
    Censorship sucks too - GRrrr

lol - rant over ;)

10. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

I Agree with you 110%.
    I think the approach I'm going to take will be
    1/. Sign a form (the customer) saying they own original & it is for personal use. Legally no use, but what the hell.
    2/. Advertise as Restoration, not transfer.
    3/. Tell the whole f***ing lot of them "so sue me then" and make a big stink about it.

Good Luck mate.:)

11. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Now you got the legal loop hole down. Resteration, as far I am know is always and should always be legal. Fixing scratches, repairing boken tape or worst come so worst moving to a new source. Its still the original, just in a new place as repairs were coming to an end.
    Now transfer and copying, thats wrong. Copy I think is defined as making multiple images of a master. You don't want to copy, just restore to the inital conditions, to the state you bought it.

12. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

thats one of the things i loved about growing up in florida, great gun laws. i dont care what state i live in, you come in my door without a warrant or a badge showing, i'll blow you right back out of it. A man has a right to defend his things no matter where he lives, lawmakers have no say over such things as far as i'm concerned. it might land me in jail, but oh well. this world is getting way to stupid anyways.

13. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Ya I love the rate of survival for Repmen in Florida. Just like in Black Addar the Florida 20miners of life expectance.

But these reasons is why on Police should enter a house, if this does go through, should do some search and seasure of the politicians houses. That would get if amendend in a couple seconds.

14. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

hahaha BlackAdder kicks arse !! I have the ringtone on my phone : )
    You go for it Wilkes , make it a precedence to getting silly laws in UK changed ... I'd back a petition ! : )

15. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Moderators - how about it - can we start a sticky poll here that can be used as a petition?
    The current laws are blatantly daft. Fair rights is fair enough.
    Can you let me know?
    Anyone that wants to help get something started here - not just UK but across Europe - LET's DO IT!

16. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Wilkes, as far as I can see, polls are not possible in this forum.

You could do something similar manually (wouldn't be anonymous in this case, but IMO that's no big problem) by starting a thread, giving the poll choices in your 1st post. People vote by replying and saying "A", "B", ... and you would have to edit your 1st (or 2nd) post to add these votes to the results figures.

17. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

you can go to www.petitiononline.com and start a free petition, then just post the link so people can sign it.

18. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Okay. I'm going to do both.
    I will draft a petition for the online one, and make the URL available here. I will also start a poll.
    Meanwhile, anybody who feels strongly about this can you please email me with your support at
    neilwilkes@opusproductions.com.
    It looks like this law is being rammed through fast - and the yanks are watching with a view to drastically widening the scope of the DMCA as well.
    http://www.ipjustice.org/CODE/update20040223_en.shtml

Go read this. It is scary stuff indeed.