1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scanning images

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by pickle122, Apr 30, 2005.

1. pickle122

pickle122 Member

I wasn't sure if I should write this in general discussions, or in this forum...

anyways, I've been put in charge of scanning the billions of pictures my family takes (you think I'm exagerating? well your right, but it is still a heck of alot). The scanner, aside from other complaints I have (including that the scanning area is a few millimeters off square), britens the light areas and darkens the dark areas of pictures. I'm currently using Presto! PageManager (actually I think it is just a program to organize the scanned images) on an Umax Astra 3400 scanner with the standard drivers for that scanner provided by Windows XP. Is this problem because of the scanner or the software, or a mix of both?

In either case, what scanning software would be able to compensate for this, and what settings should I use?
    My brother is in a fine arts college so I have access to the latest version of Photoshop, Image Ready and pretty well any other adobe program including their filters and plugins and what-have-you. So, if worst comes to worst, what can I do in photoshop to fix this? What filters should I use -- and once again how should I set the settings?

By the way, that is alot of questions, so if you don't need to answer them all, don't. Thanks for the help.

Mitch

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

all my scanned pictures are never as good as the originals. Mine usually come out darker or lighter as you describe.

I use a all in one HP PSC2210.