1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared newb updating XBMC (Solved)

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by orissacub, Jan 25, 2010.

1. orissacub

orissacub Member

Ok I've had my spof modded xbox for a few years now and I have enver bothered to update xbmc it must be well over 3 years old. It works perfectly but I htought I would try updating it.

I've read a few threads on this but for some one who likes things simple I'm still not sure if I am going to screw things up.

I know how to FTP my xbox I've got the latest TC3H build of xbmc

below you will see the FTP window do I just highlight all the files on the left (on my PC)and transfer over after saving the old userdata.
    Some of the files seem tobe differant I guess things have changed since the old build of xbmc Also some of the file si the xbox E dashboard are not in the new xbmc build do I keep those or delete them

[​IMG]

thanks for any help I just don't want to mess things up after it working fine for so long

2. orissacub

orissacub Member

a couple more points all the guides say to find a folder called XBMC on the xbox I don't have a folder called that but I presume that E\dashboard is where my XBMC is stored THis is what has caused me to make sure I get this right as there is no folder called XBMC on my xbox yet all the guides that I read saying how simple it is say to overwrite the XBMC folder!!!

Also if when FTP'ing the files do I have XBMC runnign or switch to the MS dashboard

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

As you've saved the old userdata folder it's just a case of FTP'ing everything over. Is XBMC your main dash ?, in which case the only problem you should have is XBMC might have the odd blank screen (can't remember which one) due to XBMC running when you copy everything over (obviously it's best to remove files beforehand).
    Why don't you create E:/Apps as that's where XBMC tends to go. I haven't run XBMC as the main dash for a long time, i prefer to use UnleashX as the main dash and then it's easy to update XBMC as you can just blitz the existing XBMC folder and FTP the new one over as-is.

4. orissacub

orissacub Member

thanks creaky

There already is an E\apps folder that has unleash in it but not XBMC

As I say this install is at least 3 years old now and things have obviously moved on

My main worry if I take xbmc out of where it is that it won't be found in its new folder

Would this be the case is there some code that points to E\dashboard that finds xbmc as my start up dashboard.

Is it as simple as just creating a folder in apps that contains xbmc?

Would I thne just delete E\dashboard or just the files it contains my old xbmc files

5. creaky

Oh good, you do have another dash. Just boot up in UnleashX then what i would do for simplicity is (according to your screenshot above) either copy the new XBMC folders and files over to E:/dashboard, or (if you're sure you have a copy of your userdata folder saved elsewhere), remove just the folders shown in the screenshot from e:/dashboard and copy over the new folders/files as-is.
    The only file i don't know what to do with is that default.tbn file, it's a thumbnail file, you can probably just leave that in place or google it.

6. orissacub

orissacub Member

thanks creaky thats a great help I'll give it a go later today.

Just a thought is it possible to sort of have 2 versions of xbmc on my xbox.

I already have my old copy as E\dashboard which I boot straight into but if I put the new version is E\apps will I be able to see it as I do unleashX just select from that screen in my old xbmc install and will it then boot up into the new version?

7. scum101

scum101 Guest

3 year old xbmc .. well as the xbox was discontinued 4 years ago and your xbmc works just fine why risk messing it up? .. no updates will do anything you can't do now, and chances are they will mess up anyway..

my solution.. leave it the hell alone !!!

8. creaky

Well if the OP creates a new folder and moves the existing XBMC sideways, copies over the new, if all goes belly up it can easily be copied back. Don't be afraid of everything modern :p

9. orissacub

orissacub Member

probably right scum yet the new version of xbmc can access youtube and other internet stuff which my current one can't plus some of the skins and the visualisations are in HD 720p

my old xbmc is adequate but the thought of getting high and staring at 720p visuaisations or watching youtube on my LCd somehow seems attractive ;-)

10. orissacub

orissacub Member

well just to update I went the safety route and installed the new xbmc into apps for my original dashboard install of xbmc meaning I access the new build via programms in my old build.

Well the new xbmc is a revelation compared to the old so much more stuff and improvements even got an automatic installer for tc3h's latest builds which I also installed so at the moment I have 3 versions of xbmc on my old xbox ( I've got an 80gb hard drive )

In a way I'm glad I didn't wipe out the old install as part of that I had dvdtoxbox which rips games and dvds to the xbox harddrive which isn't in the new builds.

I can't get it to work in the new build whether by moving the copy of dvdtoxbox from E\apps where its not seen my new build into its apps folder. If I put the dvdtoxbox into the new builds app folder it sees it but the icon is greyed out and it doesn't run if I click on it. Only takes me to scripts fonts.

Anyway thanks for your help.

The new ways of displaying artist and album art and the HD 1080i display skins visualisations are amazing well worth updating if you have an old copy of xbmc

11. creaky

Nice one, though i find 1080 skins too laggy. DVD2XBOX is separate to XBMC hence why you can't find it, it's on the AID (Auto Installer Deluxe) discs.. ~ http://aidtracker.com/

12. orissacub

orissacub Member

Thanks creaky especially for the latest installer disc that is a great resource.

Just had a bit of a wobble thought I would take the plunge and overwrite my old dashboard. When i went to boot I got sound but no picture...took me a while before I realised that there was still some filers lft in my ftp queue why they hadn't gone over I don't know. Anyway recopied them over and I know have the latest TC3H install of xbmc as my boot up dash.

thanks for everything...thats the wonder of the web nice people willingly to give us newbies a helping hand...cheers

13. creaky

Excellent, told you it was easy :)
    I have started using XBMC in anger on my (Win7) HTPC now, see here ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/683586/5022502

..obviously these old xboxes are brilliant, however they have their limits, for instance they'll play 720p Bluray rips just about, until fast moving scenes kick in then the machine will lag.
    So i have the HTPC which plays everything, if i want to watch a movie or documentary or whatever that i know is less than 720p i flick on the main XBMC xbox, if 720p or above i flick on the HTPC