1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sceptre 37" LCD HDTV. Any Common!!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by roadkille, Dec 20, 2005.

1. bluemax50

bluemax50 Guest

There is a chart of sort that was started in the Sceptre thread in one of the avs forums I belive its in the Plasma/LCD forum.

2. pilgrimj

pilgrimj Guest

New to this group. Interested in wall mount information for
    42" Sceptre. Saw earlier informaion about ergoton - I am not so sure that they have a bracket that will match 500 x 200mm hole configuration. Please advise.

3. indiprod

indiprod Member

I own a Sceptre 37". How do I locate the version number and the software update information that is in this set? Is there a keypad code to access this information?

4. egomaniac

egomaniac Regular member

Question: I am not yet a Costco member(i see on their website membership costs $45 correct?) but i was curious as to how much shipping would be for me if i ordered this. I can't seem figure out how to add the Sceptre 42" to the shopping cart so i can view it and check the shipping so i was wondering if someone with a Costco membership could please check shipping for me. Just make up and address in Martin, TN 38237. Thanks in advance.

5. capt2278

capt2278 Member

dont need a C membership to add it to your cart. Dont even need a membership to order it online. Just add it to your cart and procede to the checkout process. It will give you the shipping before you finalize and purchase the TV. Shipping should be less than $200. Mine was shown to be @$100

6. egomaniac

egomaniac Regular member

Uhmmmm how exactly did you get the shipping for yours when there is no way to even add the 42 inch Spectre TV to the shopping cart on Costco's website?

7. wooly59

wooly59 Member

I too was planning on signing up at Costco simply to purchase the Sceptre 42" hdtv. Previous post said you don't need a membership to buy online. Is this true? If you are not a member will you have a problem returning to Costco? When you have a problem, do you simply return to store or do they make you ship it somewhere? How about extended warranties? Are they offered? If so, by Costco or Sceptre? After reading this forum, I am a little nervous about spending over $2,000 for a tv that may last 5-6 months. I don't normally purchase extended warraties, but would consider it with this purchase particularly if it was offered by Costco.

8. canon

canon Member

I seriously doubt this is true: You need to join Co**co. But why not? One of America's best-run companies with great values and products across the board.

9. jbren

jbren Member

Capt2278 said:
    "So, you think your SD image is crappy? Is it just crappy because you are viewing it on a larger screen? Or do you think that it has more to do with the monitor itself"

I think its just crappy, Cappy. Always has been, always will be. I get a very poor SD signal via Comcast, run it through a Replay TV and <now> push it out on a big HD screen. Don't get me wrong, its watchable, but I'm sure any true videophile (which I don't claim to be) would not be satisfied. BUT, it doesn't have anything to do with the X37 as far as I can tell. It was never anything to write home about before when I was using a CRT, and its no better or worse.

To answer a couple folks questions on getting version info on your X37. Here's the process (using remote):
    Turn on unit and select the DTV input (via Source PC button)
    Click the Menu button
    Scroll to DTV on right and click CRLF (enter) to enter the sub-menu...
    This takes you to the "cooler" digital menu system.
    Scroll over to Setup and down to About. CRLF
    This will bring up System Information in Right Frame
    Here's what mine reports:
    System Information
    H/W: R0.2
    S/W: M4.70c
    Loader: PMON 1.3.8.0
    Lib: HAL 7.2.3.0 MW v1.21

I have a question:
    1- People are talking about QAM on many of the threads re: this TV. What is it and how do I tell if my unit supports it/has it, etc?

My experiences so far have been quite nice, and I mostly use this unit as TV, not HTPC, so count me as one of the people who is satisfied and does not plan to return unit, unless something goes very wrong...

10. zootster

zootster Member

Long-awaited March 6 arrived, and Costco site now advises that the 42" Sceptre is not available. Anyone have any information on why, and if it will eventually show up?

11. hdtvfan

hdtvfan Member

I just ordered through costco.com. 1999.99 + 199.99 shipping and 6% tax. Total : 2331.xx
    Let's hope for the best.

12. zootster

zootster Member

Thanks for the heads up. I was able to order successfully. I'm looking forward to trying this out. The Costco satisfacton guarantee makes it a low risk proposition.

13. vuamp2

vuamp2 Member

My order is in. The risk is $199 shipping & Handling charge. I don't believe Costco going to refund this :eek:)

By the way, Below is the statement in the "shipping & Terms" section of the order page:
    "The estimated delivery time will be approximately 20 business days from the time of order."

Does it take this long for $199 shipping charge if it ship within the US? My guest is the TV ships directly from Mfg. in China to us.

Good luck everyone!

14. egomaniac

egomaniac Regular member

My shipping looked to be $199 also but my taxes showed up as $242 and change!!!! I'm guessing tax is based on the state you live or have the tv delivered to. Bummer cuz that takes my total with $45 membership(otherwise you have to pay a non-membership surcharge of $100) up to $2475 and change :(....not that great a deal after all.

15. hdtvfan

hdtvfan Member

I read in this forum that costco refunds the shipping too. So, the risk is basically the hassles. Since it was Costco, I bought this. Plus, 1080P supported TV( I mean which accepts 1080P signal) at 2331 is also good deal. HP has one at 3500.00 (58").

16. canon

canon Member

Sales taxes are ALWAYS state regulated, dude! So if you live in Washington State, fasten your seat belt because you will pay large; if, however, you live in Oregon=zilch! Yes, Co**co refunds shipping AND rebate check. Incredible. Absolutely no risk. And the hassles are so minimal to be non-existent. Co**co just doesn't hassle people; they will want the tv returned in the box and they will check to make certain all the goodies are put back. Can't keep the remote. So, don't throw away the box and keep all the packing crap and you will be fine--should something go wrong. But the X37 bugs, I gather from talking with others, have been mostly fixed. I would worry about the X42, however.

17. canon

canon Member

By the way, Egomaniac, if you can find another 42" LCD HDTV that handles 1080 anywhere near your total cost of around $2500, let us all know! You will not find anything probably within $1k of that price. So stop whining, dude!

18. 8bobcat8

8bobcat8 Member

So, as I get ready to push the buy button for this TV (42"), will I be disappointed with the SD picture from a DirectTV source? What would be the best inputs for the best SD picture (component, s-video, composite etc)?

Most of my tv watching will be DirectTV SD. I will also watch DVDs via HDMI as soon as I get a new DVD player... I'm worried that I will not get an SD picture as good as my '99+/- Sony XBR HD ready 32" CRT. What say you?

BobCat

19. nowalking

nowalking Member

You have two things working against you as you consider purchasing a larger tv...
    First, you can't really see how many imperfections your directtv SD picture really has on a 32". As soon as you buy a bigger screen, you'll see more detail/imperfections.
    Second, not only will you see more imperfections on a bigger screen, but you'll probably also stretch your SD/4:3 picture to fit the 16:9 screen, amplifying the imperfections even further.

This is something you're going to have to deal with no mater what brand tv you decide to go with.

20. capt2278

capt2278 Member

I agree with nowalking. I moved up from a 25" standard tv to a 34" SONY XBR HDTV. It took me a while to get used to the stretched images. But now, watching the same video on a standard screen seems puny to me. I love the XBR even though it is 250 pounds!!! That is the reason I am going to be selling it and going to an LCD. Yes, the picture quality may not be the same as the XBR, but I will take the hit just for the sake of being able to move my tv by myself. And, yes, the larger screen size you go, the more those set number of pixels have to be stretched to fit the wider screen.

Which begs the question, my XBR has a "standard" setting that allows a 4:3 SD picture to appear as normal on my widescreen. Does the Sceptre allow that as well?
    thanks