1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sceptre 37" LCD HDTV. Any Common!!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by roadkille, Dec 20, 2005.

1. netnole

netnole Member

I'm kind of in the same boat as the Sony guy. I also have a killer 32in Sony XBR CRT (no HD). Have followed this forum since Day One. The Spectre looks like a great deal. However, my Sony gives a spectacular picture regarding SD and DVD's (anyone who visits me says it almost looks like HD). Although I love gadgets, I personally don't see any rush in getting a new LCD until the technology catches up a bit: more HD channels, more 1080P source material (there are like zip now). I do alright, but damn, $2400 is a good chunk of change for a TV. These LCD's will come down a little bit more in the next 6-9 months; maybe you can nail a more reliable brand like (Phillips, Sony). However, if your current TV stinks, and you must have an LCD right now, the Spectre seems like a great deal. My Sony's picture is just too good to give up (even non-HD). I work in graphics and I'm still a huge fan of CRT - I'm hoping they adapt the technology to produce them in lighter/thinner sets (but I'm dreaming).

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  2. bjkimb

bjkimb Member

netnole, I am with you on delaying. They sure aren't going up in price,with all of the new factories being built. I have a late model Panasonic 32" that is very good with Dish Network. Wife says she doesn't want anything better. Figures she would spend too much tine viewing, I guess.

bjkimb

3. 8bobcat8

8bobcat8 Member

The 42" wide screen Sceptre has about the same vertical height as the Sony 32" 4:3. I would not run the Sceptre stretched during SD D*TV watching. I can't understand why people do that! I want my circles round!

Anyway, since I know about pixelation of SD D*TV, I would expect the same on the Sceptre (the Sony shows pixels at about 8'-9' so we watch at 10' plus and get excellent results).

What I am worried about is fuzzyness and/or blur. I saw a bunch of plasmas and LCD HD sets (37"-42") running off D*TV at a brick and morter store. The pictures were fuzzy. Of course I had no way to "adjust" things and could not figure out what they were useing for "inputs" (I think it was RF... yuck). So this is the reason for my question: what should I use for inputs to decrease of eliminate the FUZZYNESS? And, what are the techniques to use for best SD picture, if any?

BobCat

4. zootster

zootster Member

Perhaps its obvious, but be aware of Costco's white glove delivery service. They'll automatically remove the packaging from the set, awhich you'd need if you want to return it to Costco under their return policy. I may not be home when its delivered, and I need to make sure my wife understands thatr - she's compulsively neat....

5. indiprod

indiprod Member

"if you can find another 42" LCD HDTV that handles 1080 anywhere near your total cost of around $2500, let us all know!"

Westinghouse recently introduced a 42" LCD (with very good user reviews on AVSForum.com). Model # LVM-42W2. Lowest price, delivered to So. Calif. with tax, on Pricegrabber is a little over $2500. It has two HDMI inputs and is 1080p, also accepting future 1080p HDMI sources such as Playstation 3 and Blu-Ray HDVD.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  6. hdtvfan

hdtvfan Member

I spoke to Costco cust service. For return, packing material is not mandatory, but Remote is. So, do not worry about the packaging. I asked two persons, both of them said "if you have box, fine. Otherwise just bring TV and remote.". I think, it will still be wise to talk to your store manager first before throwing box.
    Another wise thing to upgrade membership to Executive to earn 2% (learned from cust service). I used american express card and got another 2%. You guys may be doing the same, but I just wanted to share. With 4% cash back, my TV price went down from 2331 to almost 2200.

7. hdtvfan

hdtvfan Member

"
    Westinghouse recently introduced a 42" LCD (with very good user reviews on AVSForum.com). Model # LVM-42W2. Lowest price, delivered to So. Calif. with tax, on Pricegrabber is a little over $2500. It has two HDMI inputs and is 1080p, also accepting future 1080p HDMI sources such as Playstation 3 and Blu-Ray HDVD.
    "
    Crutchfield has this TV at 2800. I shall not buy from that online store which is selling at 2532. Check the return policy. I read horror stories. But this TV is just the HDTV monitor (no built-in TV tuner of any type). Clearly mentioned in crutchfield site. Plus do not forget about extended service cost (300- 400)which is free in costco.

8. egomaniac

egomaniac Regular member

Canon said:
    Hey "dude" seriously STFU with the lecture. I'm not whining so much as i am getting my concerns across with my first big tv purchase. I want to know all i can because some of us ain't big bank hank up in here and have to scrounge all our pennies to get what i'm sure we all agree [bold]COULD[/bold] be the best tv for the best price available. However with no way to demo this tv before purchasing it still makes it a big risk for us all.

9. wooly59

wooly59 Member

HDTVFAN - I was not aware that Costco offered an extended wrranty for free. Please give me more info. I wish to purchase the 42" Sceptre, but am concerned about long term problems. Unfortunately, the $500 off is only for a week, so we can't wait until the reviews come out.

10. hdtvfan

hdtvfan Member

wooly59, Costco has great return policy. The customer service told me that as long as you have active membership you can return anything except computer which has 6 months return policy. I specifically asked for extended service fee like bestbuy or circuit city. He said the membership fee is the extended service fee. I returned digital camera after 5 months with no problem.

11. wooly59

wooly59 Member

Does that mean 1 year or as long as you are a member? There has to be some cutoff whether it's 1 or 3 years.

12. hdtvfan

hdtvfan Member

Wooly59, I can understand your confusion. I had the same. You can return after 10 years too as per customer service. I know, no one will return after 10 years, but I am fine if Costco takes care for 4 - 5 years. To avoid confusion, just drop in any store and talk to manager. You will be amazed!

13. jbren

jbren Member

Wait HDTVFAN -
    You're saying Costco will take back TV even after Sceptre manuf. warantee is expired?
    If so, that would be outstanding, but I find it really hard to believe. Is this policy information documented anywhere?

Still hoping someone can answer my earlier question about QAM. What is different about normal ATSC and QAM?

14. WebGuy

WebGuy Member

The content below is strait from their site. The return policy extends as long as you are a member.

[bold]Returns or Exchanges [/bold]
    Costco.com has a 100% guarantee on all of our merchandise. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we offer two convenient return methods. Costco.com refunds include shipping and handling fees.

1. You can return the item to the nearest Costco Wholesale location. To find a location, please click here.

2. If you are unable to return your order to one of our warehouses, please e-mail us at customer service. Please include your name, order confirmation number, phone number, and reason for return. You will be contacted regarding your return within 5 to 7 business days.

Please note, as of November 4th, 2002 , the return policy for all desktop and notebook computers are six months from the date of purchase. Six months after purchase, all computer services and technical support will be subject to the applicable remaining manufacturer’s warranty.

I've also attached a link that speaks on the return policy,
    http://www.bargaineering.com/articles/costcos-incredible-return-policy.html

15. nowalking

nowalking Member

256QAM is the way cable companies send digital programming over their cable line. With my qam tuner I can connect my cable directly to my tv and watch any digital and/or HD cable station that is not encrypted. The reality is that it is an unfriendly option, unless the tuner also accepts a CableCard (to decrypt) - most programming is encrypted. With Comcast, I am only able to tune in a handful of digital, hd and music channels. I no longer use my qam tuner. I've opted to rent the comcast hd stb for ease of use.

16. jbren

jbren Member

Oh, so QAM is over the wire HD, wheras ATSC is over the air?

And, does the Sceptre have QAM?

17. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2006
  18. WebGuy

WebGuy Member

19. pilgrimj

pilgrimj Guest

I am new to this site and have been following it for the last 8 days. I just want to say that I have gained more information from the Q & A that takes place than I have ever gotton from any consumer review mag or product review report. Thanks everyone.

20. wooly59

wooly59 Member

A questions before I purchase. I plan on putting Sceptre in basement in a 12' X 12' room. Is room too small for the 42" model? Kids naturally want bigger TV. $500 difference is fairly significant for a 5" larger screen. Are there any other differences or between 37" and 42" Sceptre or any improvements besides the media box with the new 42" model. Can anyone that has a Sceptre using RCN cable comment on picture quality?