1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sceptre 37" LCD HDTV. Any Common!!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by roadkille, Dec 20, 2005.

1. nowalking

nowalking Member

A good rule of thumb to use when moving up in size is to buy as big a tv as you can afford. It only seems "large" for the first week or so. My sitting distance to my 65" is about 12'. It seemed enourmous for a week or two. Now I want a 73". Also, although the 42" is only 5" bigger, it provides about a 20% (ballpark) increase in overall screen size.

2. WebGuy

WebGuy Member

Just Purchased the Sceptre 42" with CONFIDENCE! I think 75% of the value is the great technology that’s packed into the television and 25% is this:

Breaks in 5 Months?.....RETURN IT!
    Looks like Doo Doo?.....RETURN IT!
    A V2 Model is Released?.....RETURN IT!
    Better Deal Comes Along?.....RETURN IT!

Costco is so unique for letting me do this, it just blows any other extended warranty out of the water.

Also, did everyone notice that Sceptre updated the specs on the 42"? The QAM Tuner is fairly new and even better the weight of the television was REDUCED to 52lbs without stand from the old spec of 64lbs without stand. That’s so damn manageable.

3. 8bobcat8

8bobcat8 Member

"A questions before I purchase. I plan on putting Sceptre in basement in a 12' X 12' room. Is room too small for the 42" model? Kids naturally want bigger TV. $500 difference is fairly significant for a 5" larger screen. Are there any other differences or between 37" and 42" Sceptre or any improvements besides the media box with the new 42" model. Can anyone that has a Sceptre using RCN cable comment on picture quality?"

-------------------------------
    As I said elsewhere, the 42" 16:9 screens are 1.4" taller in vertical height then a 32" 4:3 screen. I watch a 32" 4:3 CRT at 10 ft but that is driven by the limitations of the CRT and the D*tv signal I use. A 42" 16:9 LCD screen at this size and resolution 42can be watched at between 5.6' and 10.5' depending on what program sources are driving it.

BobCat

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2006
  5. labsmom

labsmom Member

Thanks for all the info- I made the purchase with confidence and should receive the 42" Sceptre in 3 to 4 weeks. The messages from over the last few weeks helped me make up my mind- plus the extra info on color set up, speakers and DVD equipment will really come in usfull when it arrives.

6. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Happy Viewing!

7. ajaslan

ajaslan Member

Just as an update: I have been happy with the picture on my 37'' so far, especially when connected to a PC. I even have been watching over the air HD with an indoor antenna while waiting for cable/satellite. I live in LA and the picture has been surprisingly good, though not all the channels that could come in do (a function of the antenna, not the TV).

One question: some people have said that the TVs costco has shipped for the 37'' are refurbished older versions of the TV. How can one find this out? What is the drawback of the version 1 vs. the more recent?

8. vspede

vspede Member

Just ordered the TV for my parents so that will be about 5 weeks?

Anyways let me show you how good Costco's return policy is. One time I bought some steaks and I left them in the freezer for a month. I forgot I had them. I cut them open and I was about to cook em but they were ruined. They smelled like Crap.

So I brought them back to Costco and returned them :)

No joke. It was the Costco in Naperville, IL so you can call and ask but I did that. And they accepted it.

9. egomaniac

egomaniac Regular member

Thats awesome!! I think i am going to order one tomorrow, keep it until Sceptre comes with the 50+ incher and then return it to Costco for the upgrade.

Btw found out Costco doesn't charge sales tax in KY and even tho i am in TN i have a friend who will let me ship to his house saving me $224!!! GOTTA LOVE IT!!!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  10. labsmom

labsmom Member

Just received notification from Costco that the 42" Sceptre that I ordered 3/7 was shipped today. Looks like the wait may not be as long as they say--- unless that it was shipped from China today!

11. pkadhr

pkadhr Member

No fair, I ordered 3/6 and am still "in process"

12. egomaniac

egomaniac Regular member

Ordered mine today after a hectic day of moving around some money to be able to afford it.

Hey Labsmom where are you located? Over at AVS there are still a lot of ppl, many of whom ordered theirs as soon as it was available on day one, reporting their order still being shown as "in process". It seems that White Gloves delivery isn't necessarily going by a FIFO(firt in first out) method when it comes to delivering these sets for Costco. Many of them are up in arms over it despite the fact that the set only came available for sale 5 DAYS AGO!!! Oh well i won't lose any sleep at all over it. I figure in a month by the time it arrives i will have almost forgotten i even ordered one and then it will be a very pleasant surprise. :)

13. gizmoh

gizmoh Member

Does anyone have the Visio 50 inch Plasma with 1356 by 1024 res. I need to know how that would compare with this Scepter 42 inch.

14. jef9000

jef9000 Guest

I received my X37SV yesterday. It appears to be working fine except that the display from the component input has a screen-wide horizontal line appearing just a tad below the center of the image. This line is most noticeable during dark scenes or whenever a solid color occupies a large part of the screen, and is noticeably darker than the rest of the image displayed. I've tried two DVD players (a Sony and Pioneer) and a variety of cables (including a 2m Monster 3) and the line appears regardless of the combination.

I've so far seen nothing of the sort through the HDMI, DTV or S-Video connections.

I'd certainly appreciate any info regarding what might be causing this to appear and what might be done about it. Thanks.

15. laugh

laugh Member

Anybody can tell me the box size (estimate) of the Sceptre 37" and 42"? I am in the middle of moving out of my apartment, so I will ship it to my UPS store. I hope there is no problem for them to receive the TV in original box and I have no problem to carry it later in my Prius.

16. labsmom

labsmom Member

to: egomaniac- I am in San Diego CA. Costco notice said shipped but there is no tracking status as of Sunday. I'll let you know if that changes tomorrow.

17. jef9000

jef9000 Guest

It's worth noting that this is my second X37SV; the first (which was quickly returned) also exhibited an annoying horizontal line through the component input. It also, after being on for 30 minutes or so, through the coaxial and component inputs displayed a narrow band of small sparkling red flashes about 25% of the way from the left edge of the screen. And as if that wasn't enough, the first and only time I removed the analogue antenna cable the set's coaxial connector came out along with it. Never had that happen with any A/V equipment I'd ever owned up 'til then.

Has anyone else had similar problems? Maybe these really are refurbished junk (both sets appear to be from the inital production run). Or maybe I've just been very unlucky.

18. hdtvfan

hdtvfan Member

jef9000,
    I am worried now. If this the quality of sceptre then I better cancel my 42" order which is still in process status. I read good reviews on sceptre in this forum, but you had the problem on the second one too ! I can return, but that's not the fun I was looking for. I am really worried now.

19. jef9000

jef9000 Guest

hdtvfan,

The sets I've had were both 37" models, and apparently from the first production run. Given all the positive comments about Sceptre here and elsewhere, you're probably gonna be okay with the set you receive - especially since it's an entirely different product.

Good luck with it!

20. indiprod

indiprod Member

hdtvfan,
    I was one of the lucky ones with the 37" (version 1) which I ordered during C***o's discount campaign last August. If I were getting the 42", I would order it from its first production run like you did. I have heard that Chinese factories are particularly careful about initial production shipments, and that quality can slip in later runs. (I know this is true with refractor telescopes made in China.)