1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sceptre 37" LCD HDTV. Any Common!!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by roadkille, Dec 20, 2005.

1. mrscripto

mrscripto Member

It was actually recommended by a computer company that sells high-end gaming and CAD computers. Thats why I wanted to ask the question, as they say it is similar to the apple cinema 30" display and the dell 30" LCD display. The Sceptre has lower resolution, but those 30" LCD computer monitors are priced at $2200 and $2500.

2. capt2278

capt2278 Member

Looks like NewEgg.com has the Sceptre now... for $1499, $99 shipping.

3. fitzerino

fitzerino Member

I bought my Sceptre with my Amex card. If you are buying, make sure you are protected by using your Amex, and closely examining the return policy of the online store you purchase from. My Sceptre x37 went bad within 10 days and no one stepped up. The online store (pcprogress) said 'we wash our hands of it, the moment you bought it'; then, Sceptre wouldn't pay for shipping back to them for service. So, I just said, I want my money back, and that's where Amex comes in. Its called a billing dispute. Just a heads up.

The sad part is, it worked perfectly for 5 days, just as I had envisioned, then it all went to hell. Another point: everyone wants what they buy to work, so I wonder at how many folks are out there who have had the same experience I have had and have chosen not been heard here. Yeah, its painful and time consuming to buy a lemon, but warn your fellow man!

4. pilgrimj

pilgrimj Guest

Got the 42 Sceptre. I don't think my remote is working. If it was working would a red light on the end come on when I pressed a button?
    I am not a TV tech or electronic type of person - just someone who can't figure out how to get the remote to work. Please help. thank you.

5. capt2278

capt2278 Member

There is no visible red light from the end of Infra-Red remotes. The light is Infra-Red. It is in the frequency that our eyes are unable to see. Only way to make sure your remote is working is to press the buttons and see if something happens to your TV. Press the power button while pointing the remote at the TV. Does TV turn off or on? If not, try another set of new batteries and then try the power button again. Is there a slider switch on the remote? Some remotes are able to control more than one media device like DVD, VCR and the TV. If the slider switch is located on a device other than the TV, then the pressing the power button will do nothing to the TV.

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  6. pcmacbob

pcmacbob Member

I would stay away from buying Sceptre TV's. I purchased a 37" one from Costco and when I hooked up the tv to my hd directv box via the hdmi cable the picture would go in and out, even when I tried to use the computer port it would not sinc up to the tv and could not use it at all. I called Sceptre tech line and you have to wait a day for them to call you back, I must have talked to the same woman 3 times and I knew more about the tv then she did. Good thing that I bought it locally at Costco and took it back to them and purchased a Vizio 37" tv and it has had no problems at all, and it was $500 less than the Sceptre. I have a feeling that if you purchase a newer 1080P model of tv then you might be having problems because the manufactures of the tv's don't check them out with everything (directv hd, computer input). Just my opinion

7. capt2278

capt2278 Member

Are you saying that you bought an early version then? Or was your Sceptre a later version?

Did Sceptre not offer to fix your tv? What was the suggested problem that Sceptre thought casused your tv's problems?

8. bayridge

bayridge Member

I just got an email advertising 37" Sceptre for $999 from Costco. I did some checking and it gave good reviews for a model with 1920 x 1080 resolution. When I went back to Costco ad, it had 1366 x 768 on the specs for the resolution. So I guess Costco is trying to get rid of lower quality ones by giving $500 off coupon. I think I'll wait and maybe get the x 1080 resolution one. What do you think?

9. pcmacbob

pcmacbob Member

The support from Sceptre was not the greatest. When you call them they don't get back to you until the next day and when they do the woman on the phone does not know much and same with the email system. They just refer me to the Directv box that I had. The unit was brand new and shipped from the Costco warehouse. I have since taken the unit back and purchased a Vizio 37" tv which I have had not one issue with and not a call to their support desk. My HDMI and computer hookups work great. I even think that the picture is better with the Vizio than with the Sceptre. Sceptre did not even have a fix for the problem and would not even offer to take a look at it and they are based 30 miles from where I live. The remote sucks big time as it is not a learning one and they don't have the codes for it anywhere.

10. indiprod

indiprod Member

bayridge, I have had my 37" 1080p Sceptre for about a year and am very pleased with the exceptional picture quality. I subscribe to Dish Network HD, and have an upconverting Denon DVD player. For my needs, I could not ask for a better picture.

11. Gamer62

Gamer62 Member

12. capt2278

capt2278 Member

Bayridge, I just went to Costco website and they are still offering the Sceptre 37" for sale. It is shown on the webpage to have 1920x1080 resolution. On the webpage they are offering a $200 off rebate for a total price of $1300.

If you got an email for $500 off, then that would be a better deal since they don't seem to have Sceptres that have LOWER resolution. Don't even recall Sceptre making a HDTV lately with only 1366 resolution.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11042448&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

13. dixonbm

dixonbm Member

PCMACBOB,

I just got my Sceptre 37" on Friday, September 8, 2006. I am having similar problems to
    yours. The HDMI connection is seriously on the fritz. I had limited success getting it to
    display the picture from my DVD player, and that was only after jiggling the plug a bit that
    I briefly noticed some activity (colors flashing, etc). The resolution in the top left corner
    kept changing from 480 to 720 to 1080 finally resting on a red screen with 480 in the
    corner. Another time it stopped at a blue screen with 1080. At one point when it worked
    the DVI source showed picture albeit it was extremely red.

I have been completely unsuccessful getting my Mac to work via the HDMI to DVI cable. I
    assume the same problem as above. I am also having difficulty getting the S-Video inputs
    to work. I found another thread with debugging information. Hold down the volume
    buttons on the TV. The date listed is 06/06/01. I'm assuming this is the manufacture date
    (June 1, 2006). Perhaps this is a 3rd or 4th run of these monitors and we are now seeing
    quality control issues or are we just lucky enough to get lemons?

I still want this TV, but I want it to work. I don't want to have to pay shipping to send it
    back to Sceptre. I may just try returning it to Costco and have them send me a new one.
    Fortunately they do have a good return policy although I did purchase it with my AMEX for
    backup.

Is anyone else having similar problems? Any thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2006
  14. pangora

pangora Member

I turned my 37inch sceptre on yesterday for the first time and the only thing that comes on is the power light. I purchased it in August and received it two weeks ago. I plan on taking it to the nearest Costco tomorrow. But, before I do I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

15. healimon

healimon Member

I have had my Sceptre 37" for about a year now. It too was purchased from Costco.

The problems that I have with it:

The aspect ratios suck. Half the time they simple don't work and will add more black bars to something othen than what it sould be doing and taking away the extra black bars.

The remote blows and is non-traditional. Universal remotes can not control the volume any many can not change the imput source. I guess I could spend 100 dollars on a harmony remote to learn this crappy remotes functionality but that should not be necessary to just ajust volume.

Firmware meltdown. At least twice the tv (it really is more of a display than a TV) has lost some or all of its functionality only to come back randomly a few days later (ability to turn off, turn the volume up or down, change input, etc from the remote or the poorly placed buttons on the monitor.)

Dead pixels. It does not have any now, but it has had a few pop up the remain all blue for about a week or so and then go away and sometimes come back.

When watching properly formated HD-content on the proper setting the "display" looks great, and at the time of purchase it was a great bargin. Now I simply want to return it and get something else.

Does anyone know what Costco's return policy for TV's that are 11 months old? I know Costco has tradionaly had a very liberal policy with returns but I also know that they have cracked down with some forms of electronics. I am wondering if TV's is one of them because of the whole superbowl effect?

16. indiprod

indiprod Member

To my knowledge you may still return your TV to Costco.

17. capt2278

capt2278 Member

thanks very much for the update healimon.
    that was very informative.

I am glad now that I did not get one.
    Seems, that yeah, they may have put in some good power, but did not spend the time to make good quality.

I think ya'll would agree that we would be willing to pay an extra 100-200 if the quality/reliability was included.

So, what are the alternatives that people have found?

18. indiprod

indiprod Member

healimon,
    First, I must be one of the lucky ones with Sceptre. I have had a great experience with my first generation 37" 1080p which I bought a year and a half ago from Costco. The HDTV picture with Dish Network is nothing short of breathtaking, and I have had no problems and no reason to replace it. I have used the Avia DVD to calibrate the picture.

I also have a Westinghouse 27" 720p. It was very reasonably priced, has an excellent picture (not as detailed as the Sceptre, but still superb) and on Newegg.com user reviews of Westinghouse screens have been quite positive. Westinghouse might be a good alternative for you.

If price is no object, I think the eighth-generation Sony (XBR3) and Sharp (Aquos) LCD screens are great for LCDs. Sharp has excellent customer support. For rear projection, I would go with a later build of Sony's SXRD model. Finally the new Pioneer 1080p plasma I saw at BestBuy/Magnolia with a BluRay input might be the best high definition picture I have ever seen.

I have found the AVS Forum (avsforum.com) a great source of user experience and information.

19. 767tex

767tex Member

I have a Sceptre 37" for about 2 years picture is good but the speakers are awful. The hdmi imput is very poor.

20. jackohil

jackohil Member