1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sceptre 37" LCD HDTV. Any Common!!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by roadkille, Dec 20, 2005.

1. kchaco

kchaco Member

Well the Wife FINALLY drank the cool aid. =-) and she agrees with me in that we need a new TV or possibly 2.

Rear Proj I spoke about before...Out the window.

My next door neighbor works for Fry's Electronics (not my favorite place to buy stuff) - Folks on the LEFT coast of the US know what I talking about. He is a nice guy and could get me some good deals. Here is the final list of candidates.

Sharp Aquos 32" - Reg price $1899 for $1500
    Sharp Aquos 37" - Reg price $2799 for $2250

Samsung 40" - Reg price $3399 for $2600 (I can't remember the Model but I think is the LNR409D)

or

Scepter 37" $1400 (If I can get some guarantee that my set will have the firmware update)
    Scepter 42" $2199

I want to get the tv soon. I hate waiting. The scepters are a no brainer price wise, etc. But I do not want the hassle of having to send a TV set back that should not have left their production facility with the slew of bugs. The 42", well there is no telling yet as to how good this tv will be.

I currently have a 13" Sharp Aquos in my computer room with just analog and I love this tv.

PLEASE KNOCK some sense into me...I need help! which one should I buy???

Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  2. indiprod

indiprod Member

I'm very happy with my Sceptre 37" (version 1), the cheapest of the bunch. I would call Sceptre USA and find out the details of the firmware update, and whether the new firmware has been incorporated into the soon-to-be-released 42". I also like the picture on the Sharp Aquos 37". Have you checked CNET User Reviews, and Epinions.com for the TVs you are considering?

3. kchaco

kchaco Member

good point. i will do that now

4. cyburzaki

cyburzaki Member

5. runnerbob

runnerbob Member

You may find this controversial. I've read that nearly all the 1080p compatible TV's have no way to input true 1080p at this time. That means that when you purchase your new blu-ray player next year with true 1080p source media it won't work on your 1080p HDTV.
    I'm dropping out of my quest for at least 6 more months or at least until Blu-ray / HD-DVD players are released and the TV manufacturers come up with a way to effectivly display the source with out down-converting.

(Great Thread!)

6. indiprod

indiprod Member

7. indiprod

indiprod Member

8. defender_

defender_ Member

I tried putting in the code also and for some reason that link just doesn't work (I think it has to do with "HDTV" being in it....as you can see it's always highlighted by the forum...

By the way this review was also done on a Version 1 set which they no longer produce...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Here is the link you were trying to show. Just copy and paste the whole thing in your browser to view it.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_4/sceptre-37-inch-lcd-hdtv-11-2005-part-1.html

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  10. rreynolds

rreynolds Member

the sceptre 42" lcd price is $2199.00 i work for costco

11. cyburzaki

cyburzaki Member

rreynolds said:
    You mean after the $500 discount in March?

12. rreynolds

rreynolds Member

i pulled up the item # it had a price of $2199.00 i don't know if is be for or after discount sorry

13. rreynolds

rreynolds Member

i think the $500.00 coupon is to off set the cost of shipping and insurance

14. cyburzaki

cyburzaki Member

S&H on the Sharp Aquos 45" LCD at Costco.com is $199.99--as it is on a Samsung 40" LCD. That would suggest the S&H on the new Sceptre will also be $199.99. If that $2199 price you found in their database is before the $500 coupon, this set will be available for around $1900 and local sales tax.

EDIT: Although my guess is the 2199 that is now showing in the Costco database is the price after the coupon discount....

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  15. kchaco

kchaco Member

Good new my fellow threaders....I just bought the Sharp 37" (Piano Black) finish...Looks awesome hanging on my mocha painted walls. And is only Analog cable.

The good news...Is that I am also going to order the sceptre this week or next...as soon as scepter confirms the firmware update is now included on all units being shipped.

I am happier than a pig in mud....

I'll keep you all updated when I hear from sceptre (it could be a while since they are known for horrendous customer service)

16. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

@kchaco

Which size of Sceptre are you ordering? And how much?
    When you get it, can you compare it with the Sharp 37" that you already owned and post your commons for everyone? Anyway, how much did you buy the Sharp 37"? Many thanks in advance.

17. Missippi

Missippi Member

The sales dept. at Sceptre (called the corporate number on posted at the Secptre website) told me today that the price of the 42" LCD HDTV is $2599.

18. kchaco

kchaco Member

TheReturn

I am going to get the 37" for my bedroom! Wife is actually happier then me.

The 37" Sharp (piano black finish) retails for $2899 here in Phoenix, but I got it for $2239 prior to taxes.

I will post the comparison of the two when I get the sceptre TV. I can tell you right now that the only thing the Sharp does not have is PIP, but this is going to be the TV for the Kids and they do not even know what PIP is.

19. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I beg to differ... Kids do know what PIP means... Piss in Public! :)

I'm now going to wait for the 42" LCD since I did get the 32" Proview for $900 and love it!

20. kchaco

kchaco Member

Yeah p.i.p. That proview is a nice one for the price.

Costco Home is going to have the Viewsonic N3250W 32" for $799 this weekend.

Correction: Weekend of 02/03

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006