1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sceptre 37" LCD HDTV. Any Common!!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by roadkille, Dec 20, 2005.

1. kchaco

kchaco Member

Thanks Iniprod..

U have the sceptre as well right? I will get some speakers in a few weeks.

Hey TheReturn - I am not sure about the 42" I just do not have the space and I already have another 37" Sharp that I love and I do not want to return.
    I cant argue that the price is excellent, but I just do not have the space.

2. indiprod

indiprod Member

-- U have the sceptre as well right? --

kchaco, yes, I have the first version of the 37". I like it a lot, especially the 1080p resolution which shows so much detail.

3. WebGuy

WebGuy Member

Glad everyones been talking so long about the Sceptre 42", it made my decison to get a Costco membership pretty easy. I really like the new design of the 42" over the 37" and that HDMI cable is going to make it much easier to place the television on the wall and thread the cables.

Is everybody still standing by the idea that the television will be $1,700 after the $500 coupon?

4. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

Yes, I am. I beleive some others too. However we have to wait. $1,700 for Sceptre 42" LCD HCTV is hella great. No other brands beat this price.

@kchaco
    Ok. I just hope Sceptre 42" will have a better speakers. LOL.

5. WebGuy

WebGuy Member

Well, as far as sound goes the specs look exactly the same.

[bold]Audio functions[/bold]
    - Removable speaker 10w + 10w (stereo)
    - Subwoofer
    - Surround sound
    - Audio output

But that doesn't mean that their not better quality 10w speakers and subwoofer. So we can cross our fingers there.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  6. kchaco

kchaco Member

Hello all

I am writting to you all using the 37 " monitor. I am using the VGA cable that came with. 1920X1080 it is freakin beautiful. WOW!

I will do some gaming tomorrow. I ma planning on doing some Day of defeat source I will late u all know how it goes. I hope my firmware was updated prior to shipping.

I got rid of of the popin sounf from the speakers when changing from channel to channel by removing the stok speakers and adding some cheap ass KLH speakers.

I ran the cables and placed the TV inside my armoire/ent center in my room. It looks Pimpin!

I am keeping this TV... If I can also do some gaming as well without any issues. I wish I coud get the 42" but maybe later.

I shall return...

7. capt2278

capt2278 Member

Ok all,
    How much was the shipping to ship the 37" Scepter from Costco??

Costco now has a final cost, with rebate, of $1499. But, I am curious as to what the cost of shipping is as I have seen prices elsewhere and would like to compare.

Thanks

8. kchaco

kchaco Member

capt2278

I just got my 37" Sceptre and I paid $71.14 for shipping. I live in AZ and the sceptre is shipped from California. I paid a total of $1,764 (with shipping and taxes included). I have not done the second rebate yet. I can be done after your order status shows shipped. I will do mine today. So after shipping and taxes I would have only paid $1664 for the TV.

9. capt2278

capt2278 Member

Thanks Kchaco.
    So, after having your tv for several days, what do you think? How have you been using it?
    I think I read in the avsforum that one can only get the unit to 1920x1080 if both the HDMI and DVI are attached. Is this correct? anyone? If correct, why?

Also, I am new to the HDMI thing. If I use a component's HDMI, say DVD Player, (HDMI including the audio and video) is there also an output for digital audio that I could use instead? I don't want to output my audio to the tv, I want to use my A/V receiver to handle the audio decoding. If HDMI is being used, would I be able to use the digital audio out as well?

Thanks much for any info you share.

10. ksekine

ksekine Guest

Addressing the remote control issue. I just programmed a Logitech Harmony 880 remote for my home theatre, which includes the Septre 37". They have the codes for the TV, and it's flawless.

11. kchaco

kchaco Member

capt2278

I only have analog cable and I can honestly say that the picture is awesome. I do not have any HDMI and when I connected my laptop the other day I used VGA to VGA connection. I have not tried the HDMI to DVI port of my laptop yet.

I am a bit disappointed with my Sharp though. Because I cannot get the display to go 1920X1080 or even display any decent resolution at all. The sceptre was a snap! I am seriously thinking about returning the Sharp now and getting another sceptre.

But since I got it through my neighbor ay a smoking price, I may be stuck with it in order to save the freindship. I want to make sure he is OK with me returning it since he gets commision on the sales.

I mean, the Sharp is a nice LCD, but....IF I cant BF2, Day of Defeat while chillin in my loft! Thats un-American.

12. jbren

jbren Member

Hi all -
    Just spent more time than I'd like to admit reading this entire thread, and have a couple comments/questions. I'm also extremely interested in this Sceptre 37" (and/or 42" if price is indeed what people suspect - although I just can't believe it).

KChaco - you have the most recently purchased Sceptre, have you noticed any of the image jitteriness (sp?) or issues that reviewers on Newegg.com reported? Not familiar with controls of TV - are you able to view your model & firmware version?

Did anyone notice that the "coupon" to which everyone is referring is for sale on eBay? I think that's pretty crooked, since its not really a "unique" coupon, is it? A coupon typically has a code (barcode or otherwise), especially if its for use online. This is more like an add that says price will be $500 lower than "normal".
    That said, I'll be waiting until March 6th to buy an LCD!

Interested to hear your thoughts -
    -Jake

13. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

It is weird about a $500 off coupon. I'm a Costco's member, my sister also have a member with Costco. But none of us have a $500 off coupon. I talk to local costco and they said Costco Corperate mails them out.

Someone in here has it for sure.

14. kchaco

kchaco Member

Hello all

I cannot believe that people are actually selling the coupon. There us no need for that since it is going to be available online only. I have the coupon book from costco and this shit is free.

Here is what is going to happen.. When the TV is available online everybody is going to pay the full price of $2,99.00. Once the TV ships and the online order status changes to ship, then you can apply for the rebate. Very easy process.

I love my TV. For a moment last weekend I was able to hookup the PC to it. I just ordered a Bluetooth KB and mouse for my laptop and then I will be doing some playing.

I am sorry to disappoint you all waiting for more news. I can say that is a great TV and the 42" should not dissappoint

15. socalgman

socalgman Member

Will the Sceptre 42 be able to be mounted on a wall?

16. capt2278

capt2278 Member

OK,
    I need some specifics. I currently own a Sony 34" XBR960. It has the ability to switch between 7 different video inputs. One is for the DVD so it has component inputs. Another input is DVI. Others are made up with a combination of RCA or S-Video plugins. Plus there is one on the front of the set. I have a button on my remote to cycle through all 7 inputs depending on what I want to watch.

For example, since my dvd is plugged into the set via component, I switch to vid#5. I could use a different video input if I were using a different cable as input.

Does the Spectre have this capability? Or is it only a monitor with one input? Is it, select cable TV or HDMI/DVI as the options? I'm sorry, I have forgotten, does it have any other inputs and if so, how do you select between them?
    Thanks

17. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

@socalgman
    Sceptre 42" is kind of heavy. I think you are able to mount it to the wall. Look at this

http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/Specifications/spec_Wall_Mount.htm

@capt2278
    This is Sceptre 37" Inputs:
    Enhanced HDTV HDMI or DVI port
    HD Component (Y, Pb, Pr) & Audio (R/L) X 1
    S-Video 4-pin DIN & Audio (R/L) X 2
    Composite RCA A/V & Audio (R/L) x 2
    VGA 15-pin D-Sub x 1
    PC Audio in
    http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/Specifications/spec_X37SV-Naga.htm

This is Sceptre 42" Inputs:
    Enhanced HDTV/HDMI & DVI port
    VGA 15-pin D-sub x 1(or as 2nd Component YPbPr port with optional cable)
    http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/Specifications/spec_X42SV-Naga.htm

I beleive the 42" has all inputs that 37" has. And it also has extra as list above.

18. kchaco

kchaco Member

I just played some DoD Source using the VGA to VGA...Absolutely beatiful...

I will try the HDMI tomorrow!

19. vuamp2

vuamp2 Member

All,

The March 2006 Home theater mag has an interesting artical titled "Are you getting all the HDTV resolution you expected?". This article test about 50 HDTV and found that not all HDTV can support the full 1080p resolution. HDTV with the following signal processor passed the test (getting all the HDTV resolution): Pixelworks (Epson), Genesis (Westinghouse) and Realta HQV (Silicon Optix).

Does anyone know which processor chip the Sceptre 37" or 42" has?

20. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

I will look it up. Where is the artical on the net?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2006