1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sceptre 37" LCD HDTV. Any Common!!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by roadkille, Dec 20, 2005.

1. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

What happen to Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic, Philip, Sharp?
    Which processor chip are they using?
    Did those chips pass the test that they are support the full 1080p resolution?

Can you list them all?

2. runnerbob

runnerbob Member

My neighbor got the Westinghouse 37" LCD ($1600) last week. He mounted it on the wall with a Yamaha sound unit and a Comcast Digital box. Without any adjustments the picture was superb. Westinghouse does get the highest ratings, and they are 100% 1080p input compatible (for later use). If you don't need an ATSC tuner I would highly recommend the Westinghouse. Incidently they just announced a 42" model with 2 HDMI inputs. Not sure of the price for the 42" yet.

3. desccl

desccl Member

4. wooly59

wooly59 Member

Thanks for info DESCCL, although it is disappointing news for me. If I had known the price less rebate of the 42" Spectre was going to be $1,999, I would have purchased the 37" set for $1,499 last month. For me, $500 more for a 42" vs. 37" is too great a difference. Is there any other differences besides screen size between the 37" and 42" set that might let me justify buying the 42" set. I read on one post that the 42" set has a external input box so you don't have to hook up a million wires directly to the TV. This seems like it's a good idea. Is there any other upgrades that the 42" set offers?

5. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

Shit!!! It is a bad news for me. I have been waiting. damn it.

Anyway how do you compare the spec of Westinghouse 37" and Sceptre 37"? They are the same price. So which one you think is better and support the full 1080p resolution.

6. bjkimb

bjkimb Member

7. runnerbob

runnerbob Member

The Sceptre has more inputs including ATSC & HDMI. The Westinghouse 37" has neither, just DVI and component inputs.
    Now their new 42" will have two HDMI's but still no tuner. Not sure how to compare picture quality as the Sceptre is not available at any stores. External ATSC tuners cost only about $250.

8. bjkimb

bjkimb Member

9. capt2278

capt2278 Member

Guess I wasn't too clear. Sorry.
    On my Sony XBR34" I can have 7 different home theatre components connected to my TV and use a single button to switch between them in order to view them. I can watch cable on video1, hit the button and switch to watching my DVD via component input on video5, then hit the button some more and watch my satellite via DVI on video7.

Does the sceptre allow this or is it one input one view? In other words, does it operate as a monitor? Can I hook up my various components to this Sceptre and be able to swith between the inputs or does the Sceptre only recognize one input at a time?

Thanks

10. cyburzaki

cyburzaki Member

The Sceptre comes with a Media box, which can be seen in this picture:

http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/images/x42gvNaga 300x300.jpg

It provides these source inputs, selectable via remote:

1 - Enhanced HDTV/HDMI or DVI port
    1 - VGA 15-pin D-sub (or as 2nd Component YPbPr port with optional cable)
    1 - HD Component (Y, Pb, Pr) & Audio (R/L)
    2 - S-Video 4-pin DIN & Audio (R/L) or Composite RCA A/V & Audio (R/L)
    PC Audio In

From the media box there are one to three cables going to the display itself.

ALSO, see TheReturn's post above.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  11. capt2278

capt2278 Member

Thank you Cyburzaki.
    That is exactly what I wanted to know. That is the first picture that has shown the "media box". And, the link in Runner's post to Sceptre's website did not even show or mention the media box.

Now I am even more interested.

So, based on vuamp2's web research, this Sceptre does not accept 1080p? Only displays in 1080p?

12. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

Very nice cyburzaki.

The only thing right now is to find out which processor chip in the Sceptre 37" & 42".

I did email to Sceptre tech support about the processor chip yesterday. However they did not reply yet. I dont know why. I will post it when they reply to me. If someone can contact them by phone, that will be great.

13. capt2278

capt2278 Member

Just reread the post a bit more.
    Cyburzaki, that link was for the 42" Sceptre. That unit does come with the media box. When I asked I did not realize there would be a difference between the 42" and the 37". The image on Sceptre's website does not show a media box for the 37" model but it does show one for the 42" model.

I am not able to utilize a 42" model and so I am interested in the 37" version.

So, I guess, my questions still remain pertinent to the 37" model. Kchaco?? Can you answer this? Anybody else who owns a 37" model? Is there a button on the remote to the 37" model that allows you to cycle through the various inputs?
    Thanks

14. kchaco

kchaco Member

Yes there is a button to cycle through the inputs.....

15. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

So do you have the media box like the 42" has?
    cyburzaki gave the link above.

16. kchaco

kchaco Member

There was no media box for the 37" Sceptre.

17. Donisvelt

Donisvelt Member

I have the 37", my first one came with 4 bad pixels, also the dvi input looks distorted no matter how I adjust it. Also, it overfills the screen so that I need to set the resolution down. This does not occur when I use the vga connection. Games look awesome at max resolution!

18. kchaco

kchaco Member

Donisvelt

I have tried the VGA to VGA on my sceptres and I have to agree...everything is set to the max resolution and it looks freakin awesome. I will try HDMI to DVi tomorrow.

With my 37" Sharp Aquos...It overscan in DVI to HDMI and it is the only PC input...I have to adjust the over scan and evrything has slight yellowish hue.

I would like to try a cable or converter from VGA to Component...

Does any one know if such cable or converter exists? and Where I can get my hands on it?

Are you using thecabels that sceptre provided? Sonce we are haveing the same problem...Could it be the cables? Any other sceptre owners having or had the same issue and found out that it was cable related?

it may be a strecth.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  19. Donisvelt

Donisvelt Member

kchaco,

I am using their cables, but I tried a high quality cable that a friend of mine has with the same results. I want to use the DVI output from my graphics card for a crisper display because it did make a difference on my Dell 2405 screen but for gaming with the VGA connector I am still extremely pleased.

20. WebGuy

WebGuy Member