1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sceptre 42"

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Rottyhoss, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Rottyhoss

Rottyhoss Member

I have also ordered this 42" tv awaiting delivery.. i have been in contact with Sceptre on a few occasions asking them all kinds of questions about this Tv,, they have been nothing but the best to me,, i was on the phone for allmost a hr with one of the techs while he described some of the technology they used in Stupid people language,, you know us that just dont know the ins and outs of this stuff,, I also asked about warrenty on there tv,, they just like most other companys Offer a 3 yr extended warrenty.. i think he told me it was about 200 or 300 bucks,, that is not bad seeing how that is about what you pay at like best buy and stuff when you get extended warrenties,, But I like you all will be waiting a FEW weeks before i get my Tv.. And i think it was a risk worth taking for the price seeing how Costco is backing it and we all know even if there is nothing wrong with it,, they will let us return it.... Hope to hear more Feedback on here as people receive there TV's

2. Dant2757

Dant2757 Member

Just received my Costco 42 inch HDTV on March 30. It does not work, has a synch problem flickers like a 1950's tube tv. Image keeps flipping/flashing (even the menus and splash screen with no signal input).

I paid $200 to ship/set-up this TV, waited over a month to get it, told all my colleagues about it, finally got it -- and it does not work properly. The $200 delivery folks (furniture movers) simply cut the banding on the box and removed the top left everything in the middle of my living room - NO CHECKOUT -- the problem is obvious had I received the start-up check I feel I paid for.

Costco immediately offered a refund, but I want a 42 inch HDTV. Costco reordered another TV but I will weeks for a replacement to arrive, as they are still filling back orders. Costco does come through, but now that I have it I want to watch my $2300 TV.

It is almost impossible to contact Sceptre. I have sent emails and placed phone calls but no reply. Perhaps this is a big red flag folks for "made in China" stuff. NOTE:---Sceptre does not respond to voice messages or emails, but if you can get through on their 800 number their support people give some comfort (keep trying they only have a couple of support folks). As a backup, Sceptre is fast shipping a replacement media box which is where they feel the problem resides. Have not received it, will post the results.

I discovered that the screen is much more stable if I turn the color control almost off and watch a black and white picture. Looks like the color amplifier is marginal.

Update: The problem was one of the 3 cables between the box and LCD. System works fine with my Dish system. I too am a bit disappointed in the picture quality, there is no "up conversion" or screen streatching built into this system so you only get the actual resolution expanded to fit the screen. All the people appear to have bugger than normal heads and butts when viewed in 16x9.

ALSO: My Dish remote does not have a SONY code that will operate the Scepter volume >>>ANYONE KNOW WHICH DISH CODE WILL WORK???

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  3. yhripper

yhripper Member

Long wait was over and we received our Sceptre TV on Monday 4/10/06. I purchased base on its technical specs. I am diappointed to see the picture from my Comcast Cable. I have not subscribed HD yet, but my analog cable looks horrible. The faces and skin color looks almost black and white. There are several seetings on it and we tried all the settings but of no use. The 1080p signal ATSC looks great from our PBS channel and CBS channel, however our NBC channel has often antenna intruptions. May be we would like to return it and by SONY SXRD for couple of hundred more. The long wait over subscribed great hope has watered down. The 480i DVD like Starwars looks average with several color mismatches. I hope COSTCO will offer a full refund.

4. avtv

avtv Member

puchased the 42 in sceptre from costco.com as well...arrived this week...setting up today and no faceplate for the front of the tv!!! some exposed cables too, most likely part of the IR. did your tv come fully assembled? help! - was the packer asleep at the wheel? we've triple checked the packaging and did not find any face plate to install/screw onto screen...the product did not seem to even be available on costco.com any longer?

5. yhripper

yhripper Member

I am not sure what face plate you are talking? Some TVs come with non-glare glass cover (ViewSonic) some don't. I do not see any cables missing. The box looks different than in the picture publicized on Costco Ad. and on Chinese www. It was an oval shaped box, but the real box we get is rectangular box similar to our stereo box. My major concern is about the quality of analog cable input. It is horrible and reminds me like cheap TVs with and it is no match for any tube TV.

6. avtv

avtv Member

the faceplate I've referenced is the piece of plastic that "finishes" the TV. It is the plastic that goes around the perimeter of the screen, hiding some of the cables that are running close to the screen panel itself. There are 2 sets of wires that appear to perhaps hook into the faceplate as they are loose, exposed ends with white plastic caps.

We contacted Sceptre this am and they told us to take it back to costco for a refund. They said they do not have any more of these TVs.... very strange.

7. mikeyb540

mikeyb540 Member

I have had the TV for 2 months now. Very pleased with the design and HD quality.

Anyone feel the need for a longer cable? the 6' cable is too short for me. I sent two emails to tech support but no response. Am i the only wacko demendaing a longer cable?

8. wooly59

wooly59 Member

Received my 42" Sceptre from Cosco. Picture with SD is unwatchable. I have ordered RCN's HD tuner that is required to receive HDTV, but am concerned about being able to watch shows not broadcast on HD. Does anyone know if SD will come in better through a HDTV tuner? If not, I will be returning to Costco.

9. bstrauss

bstrauss Member

The Sceptre 42" LCD now is listed on the Costco Website at $1,799, which is $200 off of the original $2,000. Either Costco is receiving many customer returns and needs to move them, or demand is much lighter than forecasted (of course anyone who purchased at the higher price is entitled to a refund of the difference, per Costco's price gaurentee. I believe it is good for 60 days from DOP).

I am considering a purchase at $1,799. If any others have received their 42" Sceptre and can comment on the picture quality, that would be helpful. My primary source will by my Cox Cable HDTV DVR. Thanks for any help you can provide.

10. wooly59

wooly59 Member

Thanks for the heads up, I purchased 59 days ago. Unfortunately Costco said that the price guarantee is for 30 days and must be exact product ID. The new product id is not the same and does not have "white glove" service which unpacks the TV and sets it up. Customer service rep said they discontinued "white glove" service because it was not a good value, I agree. $200 to unpack and set up was a rip off. Rep said that the $200 reduction represents the change in service. I purchased from Costco because of all the great reviews I read about them. This was my first experience, mixed feelings. Either you have a price guarantee or not, you don't change the product id to avoid it. If they had given me, or my guess everyone the option to save $200 when we purchased, no one would have opted for "white glove" service.

11. yhripper

yhripper Member

As the technology is changing fast, the Sceptre TV offers 1080P which is offerred by SONY, Pioneer, JVC to name few is expensive. In the future 1080P becomes standard for many DVD Players (Blueray/HDDVD). Keep that in mind, I preferred Sceptre. Unfortunately, I regret for my selection. The picture quality is so poor it may not belong to that category. It belongs to so many other nameless brands and some name brands like RCA, Sharp, Poloroid, Akai Etc. I returned the TV after two weeks to COSTCO. The return was a pleasant one. The guy at the counter said, Oh ! this is another return of TV and called someone to check make sure all the cables were in the box.
    I purchased a SONY KDLV40 a 40" LCD TV online with a 4 year inhome service for $ 3,000. Without warranty it would have been $2,600 including delivery. I feel great difference. The quality matches or exceeds my XBR Tube TV. I am happy and do not have any hesitation to recommend to anyone. This is not a projection TV. With regard to scepture, I believe what you pay what you get.