1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCH-A850[VZW] HowTo/StepByStep: Free Ringtones/TrueTones

Discussion in 'Samsung discussion' started by Smurff, Feb 10, 2006.

1. jobmo

jobmo Member

Smurf's directions were excelent! i used them and it worked great

2. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

since this is a guide, maybe it should be a sticky?

3. studtrupr

studtrupr Member

Hello,
    Nice guide smurf. I'm able to connect via Bitpim with this and everything seems smooth with the exception that my Sammy a850 cannot play anything but real .mid files. Even following your guide, making the mp3 files with Xilisoft MP3 WAV Converter and renaming it to .mid my phone will not play it. I see it on my phone but no music will play. Oddly enough, when I put in the parameters you specified for Xilisoft MP3 WAV Converter, the program will terminate right when it finishes encoding, which makes me think that maybe the file is partially corrupt (even though the final product works fine on my PC). Also, I have my a850 under US Cellular (with easyEdge service), so maybe that effects this too.

4. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

yeah it will crash everytime after the mp3 encoding. you do not need to put the .mid though, u can just leave it w/o an extension if you choose...it could be because of the provider, it sounds kind of strange to me, but i suppose the phones actual firmware/software would be different...but you say it'll show up on the phones menu, it just won't play?

5. LKingMui

LKingMui Member

Oh My God, HAIL to the Smurff!
    You don't know how long and hard I've been searching for custom ringtone solution for my Verizon phone. I've talked to Verizon and Circuit city people and they all told me there is NO data cable for my Samsung SCH-A850 phone. BS! All the wireless phone companies and online ringtone providers don't want you to know how to get your own ringtones for free so cellphone users will keep throwing money in their pockets for ringtones/wallpaper/screensaver.
    The search is over for me. Smurff's guide totally works!
    I hope all interested cellphone owners out there can find out about this and stop wasting money. Cheers!!

6. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

Glad to be of help, enjoy your new ringtones/wallpapers.

7. wesmsl

wesmsl Member

Is it possible to do the same kind of thing for games on the sch-a850? The free ringtone guide worked perfectly. No problems whatsoever. I am looking to get free games using the same technique or to be able to pull voice memos off and convert those to a playable file for my computer. Let me know if either of these are possible. Again, awesome guide thanks alot.

8. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

well for the voice memo's, i'm not sure what they're encoded in for the phone, but i'd assume if you found the loaction in the file tree you could atleast copy them off the phone and look for codecs.

the games thing, i've been trying to figure out since i've got 2 of these phones, and don't want to pay 2x for solitare and the likes. but i've not found the location yet, you could explore if you like, but i'll take no responsibility if it fubars your phone if u write something it doesn't belong.....but all the luck to ya...it does work for wallpapers if you overwrite an exsisting photo.

9. wesmsl

wesmsl Member

Thanks, I'll try that. If you come up with something for the games that would help also.

10. teamcrunk

teamcrunk Member

Hi, i'm have sch-a950 from telus, and i tried bitpim and every driver and everyway you guys showed on here and theres no luck anyone, here knows a different way or were i can get software for it. to download.

11. vernb2

vernb2 Member

HELP! I have the samsung A850 phone. I got the "mobile action Mobile Phone Management tool" USB data suit (says MA-8212P ont he box) when i install the CD my phone isnt listed but then it takes me to the internet site and my phone IS listed there. I install everything (the driver and the program) and it goes fine...I have the mobile action A850 icon on my desktop...click on it and runs great but it wont connect to my phone. I tried doing the step by step listed here and going through BitPM....will not conect to my phone either. Did I get the wrong cable? When I plug the phone into my computer the computer recognizes new hardware and says the right model....I am lost.

12. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

BitPim doesn't recognize the SCH-A850, but it connects through the file-system view, so u missed something when u were following my tut, cuz it does connect.

as far as the MA-8212P stuff, I'd have to get a hold of a copy to help you with that.

13. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

These are the two screens that you'll see, one for Ringtones (where they go) and one for where to get pictures off the phone.

Ringtone Location
    [​IMG]

Pictures From Built-In Camera
    [​IMG]

if there are still questions, feel free to ask in here, and i'll try to help out some more.

14. vernb2

vernb2 Member

I guess I must have a different version of BitPim than you (0.9.10) because my file system doesnt look like yours.
    [​IMG]

15. syntheti

syntheti Member

i used the samsung pc studio that came with the data cable for my dh807, never thought of using it that way until i read this thanks

16. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

np syntheti.

vern - it may appear different, but the actual file structure should still be the same.

17. vernb2

vernb2 Member

Sigh....I did have the "brew" folder but I had no folder called "molodes" like you show in your picture. When I clicked down through each folder I did find where the one ringtone I paid for went, but I did NOT find any folder where the standard ringtones that came with my phone showed up. When I tried to put it with the one I paid for that is when my phone shut instelf off and I had to take the battery out of it to get it to come back on,,,,I even tried downloading and older version of BitPm that looked more like the one in your picture (the tabs were on the top) still no luck. I just got the phone in December...is it possible Samsung has changed it so that this will no longer work?

18. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

it's a possibility.....what version is ur phones software??

yeah, if u try to do anything with where games/ringtones (the bought ones) are stored it shuts the phone down.....

did u try my exact version of bitpm??

u don't have a melodies folder?

19. vernb2

vernb2 Member

I click on file system and I have
    +Cds
    +Ams
    +Cert
    +Drm
    +Api
    +Desc
    +Icon
    +Image
    +Mail
    +Media
    +misc
    +Pim
    +Text
    +Smil
    +Imap
    History
    Junk Mail
    +Omb
    +PMtrunk0
    +PMtrunk1
    +PMtrunk2
    +PMtrunk3
    +Sys
    cds.sys
    omb.sys
    +Tmp
    +user
    +Api
    +Audio
    +Desc
    +Icon
    +Image
    +mail
    +media
    +Misc
    +PIM
    +text
    +sml
    +brew
    +17719
    app.bar
    cacheidx
    etc etc
    i GOT THE CAMERA DID NOT COME WITH SOFTWARE

20. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

try putting a ringtone into the folder DRM.

u have a SCH-A850??? wierd....