1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Schavio is dead

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Quadratic, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Man crap like this really pisses me off. It's a shame how she died, it really is. And, despite what Michael's lawyers say, about "dying in dignity," I don't think that she would've wanted the entire country to see what she was going through. It's sickening.

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

I totally agree with you!!
    Maybe im just being a bleeding heart but,how is being literally starved to death, dying in dignity?
    What did she do to deserve this kind of torture? JMO

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i don't think this should have ever become the political issue this did. as texas governor, bush signed into law a bill that would have let schiavo die without any intereference. *pulls at hair* there's obviously so many things wrong here and some much hypocrisy that i don't have time to type it all. i'll finish up by saying they should have given her an overdose of morphine or something instead of letting her starve, but she's still better off dead than alive

4. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

She can still feel things such as pain right? If so, what justifies being starved to death?

I don't want to go into the political crap and what is morally right or wrong, but I really didn't think they should've starved her. Seriously, what the hell were they thinking? If you're going to kill someone you love, why not do it painlessly?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  5. c4iscool

c4iscool Member

auslander is right the poor lady is in a better place now.

6. c4iscool

c4iscool Member

I don't think she could feel pain(but what would I know, I haven't been starved to death).

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i doubt she was feeling much, but even if she was, it's over now

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

besides they don't euthanize people unless convicted killer & not always. we do a better job with our pets than we do with humans in that case. if a horse breaks a leg they shoot it but in a human is basically brain dead we keep it alive which is a drain on healthcare & who pays for this??

9. Xian

Xian Regular member

I have to agree that the media circus of what should have been a private family matter and hypocrisy of the people involved is what sickens me. The President on one hand talking of the sanctity of life but on the other hand while he was governor of TX signed a state bill (google for Futile Care) that allows hospitals to withhold care if they decide your condition is untreatatable. <sarcasm> That's exactly who I want making life and death decisions for me, a hospital who keeping me alive might affect their bottom line. </sarcasm> Where was his concern for the right to life then?

I wouldn't want to live like that, but please give me a lethal injection, not starve me to death if I was in that state.

10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

people who can't afford it, that's who.

11. arniebear

arniebear Active member

There are enough people in this world who are unnecessarily starving to death, we do not have to do it to someone intentionally.

12. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

hmm...we could send some of those feeding tubes to Ethiopia or something.

13. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I would have to say that I was a fence sitter on this issue. I am not usually that way. Either way, it was a sad situation.

The one thing that I do know, if it weren't for the fusking liberal press, none of us would have know about this situation.

Let the slams begin. :)

14. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Most Dr.s have said she died from dehydration not starvation. As to pain, it depends on how much brain function beyond brain stem remained. A healthy person can live quite a while with out food but generally about a week with out water. A highly publicized case which shouldn't have been.

15. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

She was on morphine to help with some of the pain, but according to expert Doctors, she didn’t really feel anything. You must be conscious to feel such pain, not just in a robotic or neurological state, example being to pinch the skin and have the nerves react to that stimulus but the mind didn’t feel the actual pinch which would be required to cause an emotional state to react, letting out a yell.

I also agree that it would have been better if there was an option to just euthanize her instead of waiting for dehydration to take place to end her life.

I would not want to live in such a state, even conscious, without the ability to move or speak for over 14 years. I would have pulled my own plug, if I had the means if that was the case. My wife knows this also now and I hope that at least Living Wills will become the norm from now on.

16. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

This whole political debate on whether to keep her alive was alot of energy that could have been spent on other things. I am not trying to sound insentive, but the fact is, is that when she was married, her father gave her to the husband, whereas the husband was going to care for her till DEATH do them part. That is what is alittle irritating, the guy didn't want ANY money, he even turned down a million dollars, he isn't getting anything out of this, but all he wanted to do was fulfill his wifes wishes, because he loved her that much. He stayed with her for years, even becoming a certified nurse so that he could take care of her. It is really sad that she did die, but what alot of people didn't realize that they were doing more harm then good. If I were him, I would have pulled the plug on my wife because that was her wish, not keep her alive for over a decade because they thought she would come out of it. Let's be honest, there was a SLIGHT chance that she may have recovered, but after her cerebral cortex was like non-existant, there was no hope. She was a great person, who definately lived a great life. She met the man of her dreams and left this world a better person.

My thoughts go to her, her husband, and her family, because this is something that everyone has been affected by.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...ar31,0,7278320.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...ment,0,7951071.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...rial,0,6820798.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

These articles are from South Florida's newspaper, and they are going to have alot of information that most people didn't know or was said.

17. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Should this even be an issue? Why should we debate on whether to take someone's life (either by starving them or otherwise)?

18. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

because people have been debating it since before written language.

19. clouser

clouser Guest

the persentiage of her ever recovering was like 3% out of 100% i dont mean to sound like a dick but if it were up to me id have pulled the plug a long time ago all this time did was wast taxpayers money and have nothing good come out of it but the ending of any suffering she had.

20. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Because of this case I am now drawing up a living will. 14 years as a vegtable - no thanks - I'll give 1 year to 'cure' me after that pull the plug.