1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scrambled Screen on new laptop

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by AssKlown, Jul 20, 2011.

1. AssKlown

AssKlown Regular member

Hey guys, I recently bought a Toshiba L675 Laptop. For the most part, it works great... I've updated Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, and all the other updates available. I've also updated the Toshiba Software from the Toshiba website (this includes the Video Driver).

My problem is, when using the computer under normal circumstances, the pc will completly freeze, and I will get a scrambled screen. The ENTIRE screen will fill with garbage.. just scrambled lines/colours, and there is no response from the computer. I have to press & hold the power button and force a shut down. Upon restart, other than getting the normal "Windows did not shut down properly" message, everything will work fine again.

This happens completely randomly. I've had it sitting on the desktop with absolutly NO load, and it froze on my. I thought it might be a software issue, but as I said, I've updated EVERYTHING that I could from both MS and from the Toshiba website. I'm starting to think it might be a heat issue, but the laptop was only on for about an hour the last time it happened... I have a work laptop thats been running solid for over 10 days now, without a single problem (about a 3 year old HP)

Any advice? thanks!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is either bad ram or bad videocard. how many sticks of ram is onboard so can try 1 in each slot seperately to so if ram issue or videocard?

3. AssKlown

AssKlown Regular member

its got 4GB of ram that came standard with the laptop. I believe its 2x2GB sticks, and can take a max of 2x4GB sticks.

As for a bad videocard.... well its got built in graphics.... so if its bad, then the whole thing is bad... which sucks..

thanks for the input ddp!

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try each 2gig stick seperately to see what happens.