1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screaming machine ideas?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by bratcher, Jan 30, 2008.

1. bratcher

bratcher Active member

OK I'm not a game player. Mainly I want a superfast (loaded) machine for video conversion & surfing the net plus music & email. In other words I want to build a great gaming quality PC but use it for other things. Why? Well I just want to build the best thing out there even though it's only putting down the road & not burning up the freeway even though it could do it if I ever wanted to.

This is what I'm going for. Intel quad core chip at fast as possible with 1066 front side bus. 4 gigs of ram. 1 to 1.4 terrabytes of Western Digital hard drive space in raid 0. Basically two 500 GB to 750 GB drives in one raid. The best video card out there with a regular port connection for my existing monitor. Perhaps crossfire but I'm not sure yet on that. Crossfire capable motherboard with 4 sata ports minimum & 2 IDE channels. The best Creative Labs sound card out there even though it will only be used for stereo playback. 750 to 1000w power supply. Anything else? Well maybe a cooler system however I don't know whats out there.

Oh & how do you overclock should I ever want to? I've built a few PC's so putting this one together won't be a problem.

I could do what I want with Microcenters ($2495 pricetag) Powerspec G405 however I'd still prefer to build my own machine. What can I say? It's fun!! Basically my 1.7 gb computer with 512 MB of ram is ready for retirement......

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Your plan sounds good, but don't use RAID0. It's better and safer to use individual drives, or better yet, use RAID5.

3. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

I think your build is pretty simple. Just buy the most expensive parts! lol, ok seriously though, I guess you can build a sweet ass system for approximately 2500.00 Go with the Gigabyte X38-DQ6 motherboard (or one of the Asus mobo's depending on what features you want integrated, such as wifi)... Hell if you want to pay a premium for DDR3 RAM you can even go more high end... Not sure if you really should get a Quadcore because they're not really worth the money, but if you're intent on it, wait a little bit longer... I think more QCores are due out soon, there's only 1 yorkfield available on newegg right now, not positive on this though... I'm really diggin' the HD3870 X2 video card that came out... haven't had the time to check benchies on it though...