1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

screen for my projector?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by brownie13, Feb 16, 2005.

1. brownie13

brownie13 Member

i was reading in this forum about using sliver paint for those home made tv projectors but i got a infocus x1 and i just have a white sq. on my wall what works beeter?

2. auction

auction Member

Well, this won't help you much, but I have an Infocus X2 and have it on a white wall and the picture looks pretty good. I've yet to get a screen for it though to compare...

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

White gives a birght image. Silver will give you a better contrast ratio, better for home cinema. Screens are complicated, thats just a basic analysis

4. dagaguru

dagaguru Member

hi, I don't know how often u use a projector or about ur setup but here is my 2cents worth. I just built a movie theatre in my house. I use an infoucs projector, and the image is about 146'' I had a white wall, and a 76 inch screen i dont use. I dont use it only cuz its too small. But the picture is cleanest with the screen. I painted the wall silver now and it is much more vivid and darker where applicable.
    so if uc an afford the screen, get it, or go silver

5. cruisin60

cruisin60 Member

I have an Infocus X1 that I bought in Oct. 04 and purchased a 6' x 6' Apollo tripod screen from my local Office Depot store for $150.00. It takes only a couple of minutes to set up and I store it behind my door when not in use. It fits well. Did not want to paint walls and its portable in case I want to move it around the hosue.

6. centrix

centrix Member

Buy the screen, or even better, build one. First, measure out the size of the screen you want, lets say 100". So you get wood, preferably hardwood, and then put it on a frame. so now you have this big peice of wood. on the outside panel, you should paint it a flat black. next, coat it with a dull silver, repeat this, and then you have a simple screen. now, mounting is easy, you can build a stand for it, or you can hang it with standard picture hangers. When i built my screen, this is what i used for materials: Maple slat, 96x54x.5" (16:9) for the screen itself, and pine, 2x1" for the frame. Following the laws of tension, build the frame this way, using a # sign frame. All materials can be bought at any local hardware store for cheap, the piant should be flat black, and eggshell silver.
    ________
    [__|__|__]
    [__|__|__]
    [__|__|__]

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

There is actually specific paint designed for projector screens, and specific materials designed for the screen. If you use the right combination, you can create and awesome screen, however, doing it right is not always an inexspensive method...

Chris