1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

screen goes blue? dumping physical memory

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jambo1969, Jan 10, 2005.

1. jambo1969

jambo1969 Member

can anyone help when i am playing games my screen goes blue and says dumping physical memory i have changed power supply to a 450w as adviced by computer shop but it is still happening any ideas as what to do know

2. john179

john179 Active member

You need to let us know what spec is your system so we can try and help you.If you let us know what processor graphic card how much mb you have in your system.Also what os your using this would be helpful.

Thanks

John179

3. jambo1969

jambo1969 Member

i am new at this so i hope this is what you need amd athlon xp 2400+ 1.1gb ddr ram nvidea geforce 5200 ms windows xp sp2

4. sisse

sisse Guest

It might just be too high temperatures that makes your system unstable...

5. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

What is your memory configuration? How many sticks do you have and what are their sizes and speeds? Machines with Athlon XP processors and GeForece video cards seem to have this problem when there's a memory problem.

6. jambo1969

jambo1969 Member

i have 2 sticks of 516 ddr ram i dont know the speed it was upgraded in the shop the board is msi kt4av. someone said it might be the prosseser fan is to small .i have also tryed another graphics card but it still did the same

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

after next blue screen, go into bios to hardware monitor to check cpu fan speed & temperature

8. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Were both sticks of memory purchased together and identical or did you install one of them later?

9. jambo1969

jambo1969 Member

both together with new motherboard

10. jambo1969

jambo1969 Member

i have just opened case to have a look and discovered there is 3 sticks 2 are 512 mb ddr 333mhz and the other is pc2100 128mb i have taken out the 128 mb will this help

11. ddp

might but you'll know before us

12. jambo1969

jambo1969 Member

it helped a little i think it does not go blue know it restarts ????????????????????

13. ddp

restate the last part of sentence to understand right

14. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Simply knowing that this action resulted in a change in the problem indicates that you are heading in the right direction. It sounds to me like you had a mixing of memory speeds on your motherboard. It is also possible that a stick of memory simply went bad on you. You can troubleshoot this further by running the machine with one stick installed at a time and taking note of whether or not your problem persists.

15. jambo1969

jambo1969 Member

it does not go blue know when i play games .it just restarts

16. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

It sounds like your PC got reconfigured somehow to simply reboot when a blue screen error occurs. Try to right-click My Computer -> Advanced Tab -> Startup Options and check to see if the Automatically Reboot check box is checked. You can also check Event Viewer if it's a Windows 2000/XP machine in the System log to see what's happening at the time the machine reboots. All blue screen (stop errors) will be logged there even if you automatically reboot.

17. jambo1969

jambo1969 Member

i have looked at report it says dumping memory i have also tryed running with one stick and changing them over but it is still happening i am really at a loss now i can burn,copy,download and everything else apart from play games PLEASE HELP
    THANKS JAMBO

18. qwiksilve

qwiksilve Member

19. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

The wattage count isnt as important as the quality of the PSU (i.e., bigger is not always better). A quality PSU will have stable rails (and help to prevent PSU induced restarts)

What motherboard do you have? Run CPUz (www.cpuid.com) and check the mainboard tab to find out :)

Yes but usually with that the mobo kicks in (hopefully) ;)

Since when?

This is a good step indeed but usually by the time you get to the hardware monitor the temp will have dropped a bit ... and it doesnt help to isolate voltage problems. A better route would be to use a monitoring application like MBM5/AsusProbe and have it record data until you crash and then you can have a look just before the failpoint :)

Shouldnt matter. If the sticks were "incompatible" they wouldnt have booted.

Yah thats usually a bit wierd (i.e., a lot of systems dont like mixing between 1600/2100 and 2700+ memories). In either case, if the machine booted than its running all three sticks at 2100 :)

Quite so :) Running a whole bunch of memory tests (including the BIOS one) will help to eliminate/validate this possibility

That's most likely a heat/voltage induced restart