1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Recorder Utility & Lossless Encoding

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by AaronMB, Nov 28, 2005.

1. AaronMB

AaronMB Member

I'm working on some DVDs and I need high quality footage from a screen capture utility. I'm using a screen recorder program called BBFlashback which can export uncompressed video, but it's about 1 Gb/minute which I think will be too big for Premiere Pro to handle?? (The videos might be up to 3 hours in length). I've tried installing a number of lossless codecs (huffyuv, MSU), but they either lock up the program or the video is unwatchable (various colored squares, no sign of the actual content).

So, there's two options. I can either figure out what the hell is causing the codec to produce unreadable images or I can use another utility to take the uncompressed footage and compress it to something more manageable in size. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

"Adobe Premier Pro" should have no problems handleing Uncompressed AVI files as Long as you have a Fairly fast PC with a Lot Of Ram...

Premier is Made for editing Uncompressed AVI and DV AVI files so you shouldn"t have any problems....

To get Huffyuv to work properly you should go into the Codecs settings and Enable the "Allways Suggest RGB Format for Output" and then the Files should work in Premier.....

There are also some other Good Codecs you can try Like Maybe Try a DV Codec Like the "MainConcept DV Codec" or another good Codec is "PicVideo Mjpeg Codec" or the "Alparysoft Lossless Codec"....

Good Luck

3. AaronMB

AaronMB Member

I'll go check out those Codecs... thanks for the tip. I think I tried the "always suggest RGB" but it didn't work... I'll try again.

Also, I'll be editing 2-3 hour DVDs. We're talking hundreds of Gigabytes... can Premiere really handle that?

+Aaron

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes, Premier sure Can Handle that as I have used it to edit uncompressed AVI files quite a few times, even Files over 200gb shouldn"t be a Problem to edit ..........

OK... I just Figured out why some codecs aren"t working for you and it is Because some Codecs only work properly if the Capture resolution is Divisable by 8 or 16 and when doing screen captures you usually Capture at Strange resolutions which aren"t Most Likely divisable by 8 or 16.....

HuffYUV works Like that and so do Most DV Codecs (DV Codecs will only Capture at Full D1 resolution)......

Good Luck

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes, Premier sure Can Handle that as I have used it to edit uncompressed AVI files quite a few times, even Files over 200gb shouldn"t be a Problem to edit ..........

OK... I just Figured out why some codecs aren"t working for you and it is Because some Codecs only work properly if the Capture resolution is Divisable by 8 or 16 and when doing screen captures you usually Capture at Strange resolutions which aren"t Most Likely divisable by 8 or 16.....

HuffYUV works Like that and so do Most DV Codecs (DV Codecs will only Capture at Full D1 resolution)......

Good Luck