1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screw Blu-Ray !

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by jlg895, Jan 22, 2006.

1. jlg895

jlg895 Regular member

Don't go against your own cause. Blueray wants to screw you. Don't let it. Like all, when I heard the name sony and the space advantage it had over hd-dvd I was like Hell Ya!! Ps3 is going to be awesome! Which gamewise, I cant wait. And look, it comes with a built in blu-ray player. Screw hd-dvd. Then I read this:

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/7216.cfm

What kind of crap is that. I have long been a supporter of sony for the fact that they were always advancing our technology. I would like to eventually live in an interactive world. One where every home would have home networking and digital media at their fingertips. No more, having to surf the cable guide to see whats on. Any media you ever want available. Would you pay a subscription fee for that. You would be a fool not to. And I have to say that at least comcast on demand is a start. A fragile one but at least someone is attempting to bring that world in. It's there, so what could possibly be stopping us? Can it be any more obvious that microsoft -who woulda thought- is the consumers ( afterdawn members ) friend. Its Bill Gates. The man wants to be the innovator. Let him. I dont really care who does it but I am not going to support the company that is holding it back intentionally.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

you're basing your opinion on hearing only one side of the story. Just because you read an article discussing the supposed bad sides of blu-ray doesn't all of a sudden mean that HD-DVD is perfect. I'm sure there's a list just as long of problems with HD-DVD.

3. Jallan

Jallan Regular member

The player is required to have an internet connection for authentication of the media... *rolls eyes* Yeah, this is going to workout wonderfully.

4. jlg895

jlg895 Regular member

I am no newbie when it comes to digital media. I install professional home theatres and hope to be cedia certified by the end of the year. Its no shock that sony will try to encrypt anything it puts out. What started out as a hobby has turned into a profession. And ALL clients would like to transfer media around their home and would also like there options limitless. Isnt that what we are all here to do.

5. dvdsndict

dvdsndict Regular member

Don't HD-DVD burners have an estimated sticker price of something in the $15,000 range? I thought I remember reading that.

6. Logik666

Logik666 Regular member

Im no expert but, i think its more like $2000.00

7. sobhy2406

sobhy2406 Regular member

why is this in the safety valve it should be in the hd-dvd and bd forum

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

thread teleported to relevant forum

9. dvdsndict

dvdsndict Regular member

2000 sounds a little better. Still expensive.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  10. arcanix

arcanix Active member

Yeah, it sucks. I guessed a long time ago, that it will probably need an internet connection to check if media is authentic, because there's sony involved. I even said it here, but everyone said "yeah right" or lol. At least I'm not going to buy any player that requires an internet connection for authentication. Watching trailers from internet with your player is nice, but authentication? Hell no.

Well first cd burners were damn expensive, and dvd burners too. Look at them now. Same thing is happening to hddvd and bluray eventually.

11. Logik666

Logik666 Regular member

The hackers/crackers of the world will find a way around this authentication stuff in time.

12. arcanix

arcanix Active member

I wouldn't be so sure. They must have learned from the css mistake, and this time they'll come up with massive encryption in the video and audio, along with the authentication.

13. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Remember RipGuard and how it was going to shut burning down, all that talk and it wasn't even a bump in the road.

14. arcanix

arcanix Active member

Yeah, but times change. Ripguard was just an additinal copyprotection, we're talking about a whole new encryption here, something that is much more than 40bit key used in css.

15. Jallan

Jallan Regular member

The odds will always be against the advocates for copy-protection. For every 1 programmer they have, "we" have 100. The coding they come up with in months takes days to be undone. It will always be like that.

16. arcanix

arcanix Active member

We'll see about that this year ^_^ Anyway screener's will be always released, it doesn't matter how good the encryption is.

17. Jallan

Jallan Regular member

The technology the industry using with screeners is a watermark that is unique to the person it was shipped to from the studios. From what I understand, most screeners have this watermark and I suppose that has something to do with the practical halt of -actual- screeners hitting the ftp/torrent scenes.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  18. clduncan

clduncan Guest

Why can't they just make a Blu-Ray / DVDhD compatible player, recorder and discs? What is the big deal?

19. djscoop

djscoop Active member

for one because you would need two separate lasers...one red laser to read HD-DVD and a blue laser to read blu-ray discs. and they are two completely different formats, so it will never be possible to create discs that are readable by both.

20. arcanix

arcanix Active member

It's the same as asking why do they do ps3 and xbox 360, why can't they just make one console that plays games of both systems.