1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SD Cut in half (Literally)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ARGUS_328, Jun 17, 2009.

1. ARGUS_328

ARGUS_328 Regular member

Hey Guys I was wondering if anyone here knows where to get a custom SD card form factor card (8GB or 16GB) with the card cut in half physically, I have a machine that when you stick the SD card into it, it stick out half way! My intention is to keep it in there full time! Any links or ideas would be helpful, I'm debating wether or not to dissect my 1GB Sandisk Ultra II card to see if anything can be done on the inside! So that I would know what to do If I got an 8GB or 16GB card to perform the real operation on! Thanks in advance for any ideas!

**UPDATE**
    I tore my 1 GB apart! Looks like it uses the whole space on the SD card! I trimmed the rear side of the SD card and then carefully pryed it apart.....to my suprise I can still use it! hehehehe! not that I would, I'm probably gonna just throw it away! At least I know....But thats not to say someone out there doesnt make a physical half size SD card....but then again, maybe no one does! and I'll just have to live with it!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  2. Vicious88

Vicious88 Regular member

... I've got to ask. Why would you want an SD card as a permenant fixture? I mean... Is there any practical application to it? Why not get an extral harddrive? But hey, whatever, your call.

But hey, if you're up for pointless SD card projects, well then, you may as well take it to the extreme.

If you're wanting a half-sized SD card, why not try making one! I mean, I can't guarentee your success or that you won't destroy a perfectly good memory card, and I must admit that this is something I've never attempted, but all the same I've assembled a brief tutorial for you -- with pictures!

[​IMG]

Firstly, of course, you're going to want to completely extract the guts of the SD card, as shown in figure 1 above.

Next you're going to want to take a dremel and your thinnest cutting blade and carefully cut between the two main chips, being careful not to hit any componants on the front or back.

Once cut, use your dremel's engraving tool to carefully expose contact points along each of the pathways that you just cut through (the bronze dots shown along the cut in figure 2 above).

Lastly, take a BUNCH of thin, insulated wire, strip and solder the ends, then attach them point-to-point to complete your SD card. If you cut through any pathways on the back, flip the assembly over and repeat the soldering process.

Now, 17 hours and 4 burns later, you have an SD card that you can (probably) fold in half.

I submit this "tutorial" only as a joke, but understand that if you do this, I will be thoroughly impressed (quite possibly forever).

But in short, you may, as you speculated, just have to live with it.

Update: I've corrected one of the most annoying grammatical mistakes I think I've ever made. Just incase anyone was wondering what I edited.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  3. ARGUS_328

ARGUS_328 Regular member

Hey Vicious88, that is an impressive tut!, whiles there is no way in hell I'm attempting that, an impressive tut! I hope you dont mind but I cut and pasted your tut to another forum (Giving you the credit!), here's the link: http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell-mini-10v-discussion/9496-sd-card-slot-2.html
    Thanks again! I'll see if I can get someone else to try this and report back hehehehe doubt it though :)

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

LOL funny but not impossible, however surface mount component soldering is extremely difficult.

5. Vicious88

Vicious88 Regular member

True... Very true. You'd better have a percision tip for your soldering gun (the little pointy pick tip, as opposed to the standard bulky point which comparitivity is a lot bigger).