1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem seagate external harddrive 1000gb

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bpanther, Jul 2, 2016.

1. bpanther

bpanther Regular member

i got this external hardrive by seagate 1000gb and all it reads when pluged in is (backup+) how can i get it to read in windows folder drive section as a external storge harddrive so i can store all my files and how do i get access to the drive when all it says is backup+ and says everything working fine????

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Check in device manager that it has a drive letter,if not then assign one using computer management

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what does it showup as in windows explorer as in drive letter & name? does it have an automated program that auto-backup every so often?

4. cactikid

cactikid Active member

am i reading it is he picked up a second hand hdd that needs to be formatted first before using it on his pc for storing files?

5. ddp

what makes you think it is 2nd hand?

6. aldan

aldan Active member

you know,i kinda got that impression as well.maybe a little clarification from the op?

7. cactikid

cactikid Active member

i must have around 6 externally powered and 2 portable ones and none said backup,on 1 pc i have a portable set up as a backup.agreed more info needed.

8. bpanther

bpanther Regular member

yes it is a second hand hard drive givin to me and it reads in bottem bar that the device is connected thru USB and when i right click to it shows only backup+ and not the device assigned letter in the "my computer" windows screen as u would when u choose the letter to what drive i have tried formatting it and it does it but still same and in device properties says every thing working fine --its real mess like what does (backup+) mean? and why ? cant i use this as a storage device? how can i deep format it when connected USB

9. ddp

goto control panel\administrative tools\disk management. disk management will show all hard drives whether internal or external like usb. see what it shows there as can delete the partition(s), make new partition(s) & then format them there. just make certain you select the correct drive as can delete your windows drive by mistake.

10. bpanther

bpanther Regular member

ok ill try that and get back with a responce ty

11. ddp

no problem.

12. bpanther

bpanther Regular member

ok well i guess that hardrive maybe defective as it does say every thing running fine and no errors but still i did every thing u said and still wont show up but its knows its plugged in----but what i can say is all the other extrernal hardrives i have they worked just fine and formatted very well so maybe that one is no good

13. ddp

did you do this? "goto control panel\administrative tools\disk management. disk management will show all hard drives whether internal or external like usb. see what it shows there as can delete the partition(s), make new partition(s) & then format them there. just make certain you select the correct drive as can delete your windows drive by mistake."

tongs007 likes this.
  14. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

do as DDP says format it, ASSIGN a letter, job done

15. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Backup+ is most probably just the name the last user named it as you have to manually change it or when you format it the name will be the same.You did assign a drive letter ?