1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Search engine

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by Big_Dave, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Big_Dave

Big_Dave Guest

I think that the search engine could use a little upgrade, having seen this message before posting:

There are well over 100,000 messages already in our discussion forums. You should check before you post, if your question has been asked and answered before. You can do this by using the forums' search engine.

I came to the conclusion having carried out numerous searches that the site would benefit greatly from a improved search engine. One improvement that comes to mind is being able to order the search results by name, posted etc. I think this would be benefitial not only to stopping duplicated posts but also general searches.

I would like to know what other people think about this also.

Big_Dave

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You can search by the name of a user, search posts posted in the last 30,60,90 days i think. Whats wrong with that? The search engine works as any would do.

Any searches i have done have been fine. You dont really have to search posts from months ago. As long as it isnt posted in the last few pages of posts there is no real harm asking the question again.

3. Big_Dave

Big_Dave Guest

I realise what you're saying Oriphus, but I really think that if the searches could be ordered by different factors it would really make finding a previous thread much easier to find.
    For example suppose there is a thread you wish to view again but will not be in history or bookmarked etc you could search for parts you know, and that may result in a massive list! A way of ordering them by name for example would really help I think.
    It would also be useful looking for something with a particular word starting the title of the thread: instead of having to look manually through the list by date you could sort them into name and it would make things much better no?

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I do see your point, though it is unlikely to bother me what way the search engine searches as i can probably remember the questions if i had a similar one myself. I try to check in with Afterdawn for an hour every day or so!