1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second part of AVI is blank after splitting

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by chuck1010, Aug 1, 2003.

1. chuck1010

chuck1010 Member

When I split my AVI file into 2 parts, the first part of the AVI works fine. However, the second AVI file always has no video. Just a black screen. The file information says it is just fine. But no matter what player I use, the screen is always blank.

I have tried 3 different AVI splitters so far (VirtualDub, Easy AVI, etc.) and the result is always the same. I have followed the directions in the guides and nothing has worked. It looks easy, but the result is always the same. Blank screen on the second half.

Please help...I'm stuck.

File information:
    320x240, 24.997 fps
    Decomp: DivX 5.05 Codec

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

have u been starting it at a key frame??

3. chuck1010

chuck1010 Member

Yes, in each of the 3 types of software I have used for splitting, I have split at a key frame.

I used Hexedit to look at the beginning of the 1st part of the AVI and compare it to the beginning of the second part of the AVI. I did notice that the 1st half (which always works) had the characters (DIVX) in the file. The 2nd half did not have this in the beginning of the file. This must be it. The 2nd half is not getting the Video codec information. I edited the 2nd half to make it just like the 1st but it still didn't show anything but a blank screen when I tried to play it. The tutorials on the net about splitting don't say anything about setting up the software a particular way. It must be harder than the tutorials are showing.

Alas, I'm beat!

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Ok, this os strange cause it happens onj every single program you try, it would be a helluva lot easier if it was only with one program!