1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

second xbox fan

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Spyder22, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Spyder22

Spyder22 Regular member

i have another fan for my xbox (same as the one thats originaly in the case) and im wondering where to put it to improve the proformance of my box and lower the temp a little? so does any one know where to put an extra fan? any help would be appriciated
    THANX

2. punqewe

punqewe Active member

If you were going to add any fans,I would tell you to put an intake fan in the front left corner under the dvd drive (a 1"-1.5" fan) this would decrease your temps by about 3-7 degrees celcius. If you do you can leech off the 5v power on controller port 4 if you need to....enjoy.

3. Spyder22

Spyder22 Regular member

do u mean inside the box?...blowing on the dvd drive?

4. punqewe

punqewe Active member

under the dvd drive is a nice cavity where there aren't any devices or wires. The front left side would be perfect fot a crossflow cooling scheme.....and since the air would flow across both the cpu and gpu.....there's no question that it's a good place. I see some people out there putting a fan on the other side by the psu,which if you ask me is silly. Considering that the cpu will probably overheat way before a psu does,it would make more sense to cool the cpu. Also having a fan that blows over the psu will generaly heat up the air coming into the case,and thus is more likley to heat up the interior.

In the end,the front left side is the best place (IMO) for an intake fan,and it's not that hard to instal either. Just mount it to the tin and wire it up. You should be able to find a nice thin 1-2 inch fan for just a few bucks....that would be perfect for this mod.

PS-the air will blow under the dvd drive and across the mobo.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  5. Spyder22

Spyder22 Regular member

oohhh ok i think i gotcha now. so mount the fan verticly on the front left side of the case, blowing air in.....right

6. punqewe

punqewe Active member

you got it pontiac

7. Spyder22

Spyder22 Regular member

ok thanks