1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sector errors and cdmage

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by pofd66, Apr 18, 2003.

1. pofd66

pofd66 Guest

Question:
    Does cdmage distinguish between errors in the image file and errors on the cd as a result of copy protections?I am checking 2 bins of Nightfire"(safedisk2)and I recieved sector errors which I was able to coreect most of.I burned the bin and when I open the cd I am unable to get a few select files to run.However these same files would open\run in the bin when i ran them with winiso.
    I should note the game installed and runs but as yet I haven't played all the way through.So in short are there certain errors that should be corrected and others that should not?
    Also is there a tutorial for cdmage anywhere which might also answer some of my questions?

Thanks

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

You can use the 'locate' function (right-click menu selecting the error).
    If the error belongs to a file, you can try to 'repair' it. If the error belongs to an empty sector, it is the protection (and tou MUST NOT REPAIR it, or you'll spoil the backup).

Maybe I'll write down a guide, in the future...

[bold]
    Technincal note: the 'repair' function uses the ECC info to repair the disk. Normally, the burner uses the ECC info by default, to repair automatically any broken sector during burning, unless you force it to burn RAW DAO. RAW DAO does not correct errors and therefore is risky, but is the only way to backup protected discs.

Only using CDMage you can repair broken sectors on an image of a protected CD (being careful to select only the errors which belong to a file).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2003
  3. pofd66

pofd66 Guest

Thanks.Just curious:I could repair all but 6 files,.avi(think movie cutscenes).When I burned the bin and then opened the cd I could not get these files to run(ie with window media player )when all the rest would.But in the bin image I could get the .avi's unrepaired to run with windows media player.
    I also had the same problem with the Readme text document.Any thoughts or explanations.Is it a esult of the structure of an image.The game seems to work fine however though I am far from playing all the way through but obviously a few damaged clips shouldn't be a major nuisance

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

CDMage uses the ECC info to try to repair the sectors. But on 'High severity' errors it might do more damage than good, also considering that AVI files are made by frames and (except key frames) any frame is encoded in such a way that the decoding of frame N starts by the knowledge of Frame N-1. CDMage could add random errors in this scheme, thus spoiling the whole movie.

5. pofd66

pofd66 Guest

Thanks for your help.I figured cdmage had some how made things worse even though I didn't know the technical reasons.The errors were only of medium severity and a few were low.Could you offer some suggestions on which file types to not correct with cd mage/or instances when I should not use it?Wish the darn thing came with instructions and not alot of info out there on this matter.

6. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

The suggestion is:
    - never repair broken sectors on movies
    - if you have an image of a protected game, repairing it might be risky. Don't do it, unless you cannot replace the image.

The best use I found for CDMage is:
    a) check an image for corruption before buning it. If it is corrupted in a dangerous place (e.g. an executable), trash it. If it is corrupted in a sound or movie file, burn the image DAO/TAO (NOT RAW DAO). The burner will try to repair the error for you (because you did not burn RAW).
    b) replace (NOT repair) broken sectors: for instance, I have two images of the same disk and they are corrupt in different sectors. I use CDMage to replace the broken sectors of the first with the broken sectors of the second.