1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secure Network ?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by sandisk, Apr 13, 2007.

1. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Hi guy's, I know I don't have much info here but any help would be much appreiciated.

Basically my mate bought a new Toshiba laptop today and a belkin router to attache to the modem that he is using for his broadband so he can use the laptop wireless.

I was there with him this morning and everything we thought went to plan. We loaded on the belkin software to the laptop and hooked up the router to the modem and "right clicked" on the wireless icon on the laptop and clicked on "Connect to wireless Network" and yes it connected up.

He's out of the country now til Monday so I've no more details to give you about the laptop as in model/make ect....all i know is it is a Toshiba and it's running vista.

But he rang me there before he left and said his Norton antivirus keeps popping up saying " You are connected to an unsecure Network".

What would have to be configured here to enable wep security? Would it be the belkin software that was put on the laptop or would the laptop wireless settings have to be configured?

I'm running a wireless pc in my house and I enter the wep key into the software I put on the pc but I've no experience with a laptop or Vista for that matter.

I know i havn't much details here but any suggestions would be appreiciated.

Thanks
    Sandisk

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  2. sjb007

sjb007 Member

The security settings will be in the router, myself I would go for WPA rather than WEP as it is more secure. To access the security settings - open your (or should I say your friends) default web browser and type in the address for the router (usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1) - I dont have a belkin myself but it should come under wireless settings -> security or something very simular, then, from there you should be able to change and secure your network.

3. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Oh I see. So even though the laptop has a built in wireless card, I shouldn't have to go near the laptop settings at all ? Just the router settings?

I'm sure somewhere buried in the belkin manual it should tell you how to access the router settings.....right :)

Thanks for the reply
    Sandisk

4. sjb007

sjb007 Member

Once you have set the WPA passkey in the router, you can then connect to the network using the lapdog - you should see the wireless network through the connection manager in the taskbar once it has fully booted, then, when you connect to it, it will then ask you for the password.

Once thing I would advise is to keep the connection hard-wired while you make the changes, then you can access the router settings if needed.

5. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Ok i think I have it now.

So when I go to the router settings and enable WPA, then I go to the laptop and right click on the "connect to a network" and instead of just connecting, it should ask me for the WPA key ?

Then i throw in the WPA key and save it and that should be it?

Thanks for the help out on this.

Sandisk

6. sjb007

sjb007 Member

Yep, thats how it should work anyhow ! If you get any problems with the settings then I would shout for help for someone with the same make/type of router as what you are dealing with as mine is not a belkin, what I have covered is the basics of securing the conenction.

Good luck and Regards... :)

7. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Great, thanks for the help out on this.

Sandisk

8. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Got that sorted out with no probs today :)

Thanks for the help

Sandisk

9. K_Mitnick

K_Mitnick Member

A well meant advice on the side, change your WPA passkey often, wardriving is becoming very popular these days.

10. sjb007

sjb007 Member

Yep I agree on that one. Treat yout password like your toothbrush, change it regularly and dont let anyone else use it ! glad your sorted.

11. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Thanks 4 the info.

I also use Trend Micro anti-virus which has a network monitor intergrater with the anti-virus and it's pretty good I have to say.

I have trend installed on my pc and when my wife turns on her wireless pc, it tells me an ip address wants to connect to my network and I hjave the option of allowing that ip address or blocking it.

Sandisk