1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sell your stuff on aD?

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by goodswipe, Mar 11, 2008.

1. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

I thought aD wasn't going to ever have a section like this? Cool to see you guys went through with it.

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I think it's just to keep the mods on their toes :p

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  3. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

4. varnull

varnull Guest

I'm really looking forwards to the report button bashing I'm going to be doing.

Piracy galore will happen.. mark my words.

5. creaky

Indeed, i'll be selling my AD towel, mug and pens with the mod buttons thrown in for free

6. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Sweet, aD towels? Where? I want one...I bet it will be a good one to use when drying off my truck.

7. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Heh, yes, I've swore in the past that we'll never gonna open this type of section. But we sorta gave in under the pressure from Finnish users and launched similar forums there couple a days ago and so far, its been pretty smooth sail, which encouraged us to test it here as well. I'm sure it'll cause some problems at first, but ... after we've banned couple of hundred people who didn't bother with the (might I say, pretty damn strict) rules put in place, it might calm down. If it doesn't, we'll close it.

But then again, we have 740,000 members, so it is quite likely that some of them might actually have a use for this type of area. Dunno, lets see what happens.

And ye, creaky, maybe you should put the aD towel for sale.. "Towel of AfterDawn's mod- asking price $100. If you want it unwashed, $10,000" ;-)

8. dRD

Then we'll simply change the rules slightly and not allow any games or movies to be sold. That would restrict the "for sale" posts to hardware items, etc which are bit trickier to pirate :)

9. creaky

Hehe, like the saying goes, they can try to take the towel out of my cold dead hands :p

10. dRD

...reminds me -- off-topicish -- that we seriously need to start selling them or something. We have 200-300 towels in our office :)

11. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Post a pic please, I wanna see what they look like!!

Do they have the aD logo on them?

12. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

hi :)
    now we have a sell/buy stuff section...shouldn't there be a swap stuff part to round the section off
    because i'd love to swap my other half for a younger model ;)

13. varnull

varnull Guest

It takes a few days for them to get into their stride.. I see pirated games being offered for sale on ebay all the time, usually cleverly hidden with the words "xtreme" or "import" attached, when they mean burned..

The Finns as a race seem more law abiding than most.. From the few I know quite well they don't mind pirating for themselves, but making a profit from it they look on as wrong... That isn't the case in the UK from what I can tell.

Anyway.. I will watch with interest.. I hope you have some way to monitor what goes on through the PM system too.. because just acting as a facilitator in the sale of pirate goods and software is enough to land people in pretty hot water, and I'm sure the mpaa/riaa and other copyright protection agencies would love some ammo to use because of all the great backing up guides that still exist here after being taken down almost everywhere else....

Anyway.. I have 4000 pr0n dvd's, mixed quality, some samplers, various regions/languages, mixed subjects.. Will not ship across state/country borders. PM for details. offers???

hehehehehehe.. now it's just a case of if you believe they are legit pressed ones or no ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2008
  14. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

is this a joke or for real? as goodswipe said i would like to see what they look like. might be interested in 1 or 2 myself???

15. dRD

It is not a joke, we have AfterDawn branded T-shirts, coffee mugs and towels. We've actually sold them to Finnish users in the past and have also sent them to moderators and winners of our various competitions. The reason why we havent sold them to anyone outside Finland is the cost of shipping -- one towel could easily cost $50 with all the intl shipping costs added and we've sorta doubted whether there's enough interest from users to pay such price (sure, if we'd ship 3 or more in one package, the price would drop per item).

Plus, we couldn't handle returns, aas it'd cost just too much.

But we have pics of them:

http://i.afterdawn.com/shirt/paita_muki_iso.jpg

and this is from one of our users (who won the aD gift pack from the innovation contest):

http://oma.afterdawn.com/bscd/show_image.cfm/10761/full/inno

The towel is "aD blue" with one small aD logo embroidered (spelling?) to it. The T-shirt has an embroidered logo in chest and a print in back (sticky one, my oldest shirts are 5 years old now and the question mark is still nicely visible).

16. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea i guess $50 for a towel is a bit steep..lol guess its a good point to try not pushing them...maybe the next contest i will try and get in on it...

17. dRD

Ye, the silly exchange rate USD now has makes it even harder to make it reasonably priced for U.S. users :) But maybe some sorta packages of "T-shirt, towel & mug" might work, as the per-item price wouldn't be so high, as the postage fee doesn't really go up if you add more stuff to the package.

18. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Man, those towels are nicer then I expected them to be. ;)

Love the mugs to.

Yea, 50 dollars for a towel is a bit steep. I guess if they were made of Italian silk, then I could see spending 50 bucks! :)

19. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

I'm with you Varnull. As much as I would like to see this develop into a nice & honest trading arena. I have my doubts, that's for sure.

The audience that this site attracts are people that... I'll use Varnull's words here... "The Finns as a race seem more law abiding than most.. From the few I know quite well they don't mind pirating for themselves, but making a profit from it they look on as wrong... That isn't the case in the UK from what I can tell."

UK and the rest of the World!

I must be Finnish then! LOL! Seriously, as I have said in the past I don't always obtain media from legitimate sources but I can not stand people making a profit from pirating games, software, movies etc.

My point is, can a site that provides access to software and guides to back-up anything from Games to Blu-ray expect to peacefully co-exist with a honest classifieds section?

I certianly hope so but only time will tell...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  20. dRD

I agree with you that there are problems with setting up a system like this and therefor we've made sure for now that only trading focuses on physical products, like components, consoles, etc. The whole thing is simply an experiment to see whether there's even need for classifieds section on our site. If there is, we can develop it further and spend time and effort on making a proper "marketplace" for our users. But if we get only handful of posts each month without significant impact on anything, we can say that there's not enough interest from users to warrant us to spend development time on this one.