1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sempron 2400 temp

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hogan, Dec 12, 2004.

1. hogan

hogan Regular member

I have a Sempron 2400 cpu and a MSI kt4A-mobo, mushkin 256 pc 3200 ram. At idle the temp for cpu is 49-50c and sys temp around 37c. Seems a bit hot to me. My case has two 80mm fans. One in back and one on the side. If I turn the one on the side to pull air into tower instead of out will this help lower the temp. Or is it a waste of time. Thanks id advance for the advice.

2. hogan

hogan Regular member

Just an update, FSB was set at 100MHz, bumped it up to 166MHz( where it needs to be for this cpu) and idle temp is now 54c and sys temp 38. Is this the norm for this cpu. Can't find much info at AMD. Thanks again. Hogan

3. Zeone

Zeone Member

Id think that thats getting up there, im pretty sure that processor is just like the AMD Athlon XP's with a max temperature is like around 60 Degree's celcious, what fan are you using on the processor? Id suggest putting some money into a better CPU fan look on newegg.com or tigerdirect.com you could find a good fan for a really decent price

4. hogan

hogan Regular member

This was a CPU in a box. It came with an AMD fan. The die temp is 90c. At idle it runs 51C. With the aquarium screen saver it runs 60C.This has me a little worried.Will turning the side fan to pull air in instead of out help any.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you can try pulling air instead of out to see if temp lowers. can you get a digital thermometer to place inside of case closed to see if system temp actually 38 cel. ran into temp problem, 2 different boards, 2 different temp readings for cpu & system but same processor. you figure that out

6. hogan

hogan Regular member

This is a new build. I just opened the case up to check if cpu fan was mounted correctly. It is and the cooling fins are cool to the touch. Could this be a false read. Just noticed cpu fan is only turning at 3950rpm. Could this be it. Thanks for the help.

7. owen420

owen420 Member

yea well i had a amd athlonxp 1700+ but it did get to hot because the gel on it was burnt off even with 2 case fans and a amd fan it blew and b4 it did it would always turn on for like 3 seconds then die then eventuly boot so anyways now i got a AMD Athlon XP 2400+ and realize that u need to replace that gel every few months and honestally if u play high end games run a few case fans because its expencive to loose the die temp is about 87 degrees thow with the XP processors but sempron (basically Duron) if they arent used for intence games can have a die temp of 75 degrees or around there because there not that high end and do need a regular amd fan and a case fan nothing less its not worth the risk there not that bad processors anythig AMD is good!

go here http://bradyplanet.tk

8. owen420

owen420 Member

oh yea btw any hgih end gamers this is a must to know with AMD if you overclock (even no u can easy) and play high end games they get 5 - 10x hotter then normal speed and will very easyly blow ( i no) (even with 3 case fans)

9. owen420

owen420 Member

oh yea btw any high end gamers this is a must to know with AMD if you overclock (even no u can easy) and play high end games they get 5 - 10x hotter then normal speed and will very easyly blow ( i no) (even with 3 case fans)

10. wild77

wild77 Guest

If you only have two fans one should be an intake and one should be for exhaust(usually the rear fan)as for the temps they seem a little high(if they are accurate)Use a high quality thermal paste such as http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-100-007&depa=0
    I dont know what kind of case you have, but if there is space for more fans it would be a good idea to add some as well as a better heat sink.

11. Divinus

Divinus Guest

I wouldn't necessarily say this, Owen. I have a 2400XP+M that I can run at 2.5GHz @ 1.8v and be playing Doom 3 or HL2 and still with full load sit at around the mid 40s°C. Right now it's sitting @ 2.3GHz and with a load I never get any higher than 35-38°C.

Of course cooling breaks down into a number of things. Room ambience, heatsync, fan, case airflow, etc...

If you're really worried about temps I'd drop the stock fan/heatsync and go with something copper. Preferably thermalright if you don't mind spending a bit. They definitely make a big difference in cooling. If you don't mind noise go with a Vantec fan, if you do mind noise I'd go with something Panaflo (Panasonic).

As for your problem, if the semprons are supposed to run in the same area, temperature wise as the Athlon XPs, then you have something else wrong. I'm thinking maybe too much thermal grease (unless it came with a pad) or something is seated wrong.

Then again, one of my crappier left over computers has an Athlon 1800XP (Thoroughbred B) and it runs steady at around 70°C because of a crappy Volcano 7 (all I had left, no laughing).

But, like I said before, if this really is bothering you. I'd take it back off, buy a better heatsync/fan, get some arctic silver and remount it.

12. hogan

hogan Regular member

It has a stock cpu fan with a pad. I put a second case fan on the side panel pulling air in and the idle temp is 47c. Alittle high but I think it will be OK.

13. Divinus

Divinus Guest

What voltage does this thing run at again, Hogan? You can look in your bios or if you have sandra or any other monitoring software you can check what the vcore is.

14. hogan

hogan Regular member

Voltage break down:
    Vcore - 1.60 volts
    3 volt rail - 3.26 volts
    5 volt rail - 5.13 volts
    12 volt rail - 12.02 volts
    seems OK to me. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

15. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Actually, now that I think of it Hogan... Is it pretty hot in your room (or wherever your computer is)? Does the temperature stay at a descent room temperature, say 72°F.

I wonder if you wouldn't mind trying something. Take both sides of your case off, and turn your AC down (if possible) and wait until it's a good 10° cooler in the room, boot it up and see what the temps are.

I talked to a friend with an Athlon 2800+. I'm really not sure about the semprons because I haven't read much on them but i'm guessing they're just barton cores with the L2 cache cut in half? Or maybe even Thoroughbred cores. No idea. Anyhow, his room ambience can affect his processor temperature drastically.

For me, I have a pretty crappy case. I don't even have the sides on it. My room is actually an extra room that was added to the house later on. It only has one AC/Heater vent so it naturally gets pretty cold in here. The only problem with leaving your case off is the dust. Every 2 months or so I take my fan off the heatsync, get a paintbrush in there and clean it out.

Anyhow, overall I'm thinking that if your room does stay at a normal, regulated temperature of around 72F, these temps may not be far off from normal. I think still 47°C is a bit high, but hardly in the "danger zone" for AMD. What does the dye burn up at? 85°C, 90C?

16. hogan

hogan Regular member

Room is at a comfy temp. I went to the AMD forum site and it looks like the semprons just run a little warmer. My cooling fins on the cpu are cool to the touch. I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if heatsink cool to the touch probably nothing to worry about.

18. hogan

hogan Regular member

Thanks to all for the advice.
    Hogan