1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sending Home Videos to the US

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by raven219, May 9, 2004.

1. raven219

raven219 Member

I have looked through previous posts and don't think I have found the answer so here goes.

I recently burnt a DVD-R and sent it a frind in the US. They have reported back that they cannot play it on their DVD player which is a Sony DVP-NS315. No I know this player is not hacked in anyway and that it cannot be remote hacked. I also know that the DVD I created was region free and NTSC, so I assume that their player can only deal with region 1 discs. How do I put region encoding on a DVD-R?

Cheers

Raven

2. brian100

brian100 Guest

I am wide open for attack here BUT Is it not true that a Region 1 DVD (IE your friends machine) player is able to play ANY region DVD?. IE 1,2,3,4 etc. Conversely in the UK, where I am based, we are region 2. We can play regions 2,3,4 etc but NOT 1, unless we can perform a hardware hack.

From what I have read on this link the Sony player in question is compatible with a wide range of media, it may be well worth you checking to see if your media is mentioned :-

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=1123&Search=Search&#comments

You obviously checked the DVD-r for errors prior to sending to him & packaged it adequately. Are you really sure that the disk was NTSC & not PAL?

I am sorry I can't be more help
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]2 cardboard boxes
    Cracked Windows 65
    Rusty cranking handle for booting.
    16 Pieces Of Absent Minded Memory.
    16Mb Medium to Prostrate Storage Space.
    Nvidia Crapmax 12 (8 Colour!!) Graphics Card
    36" Long Fish Tank (Including guppies) For Viewing.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2004
  3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I am in UK too & have a Sony DVP-NS305s which plays both PAL & NTSC (it's still region 2 as Ive not remote hacked it due to no need).
    It is sometimes a problem for our american friends to play PAL ont heir TV sets but if you say it is region free back up & NTSC at that ... then you have us baffled.

More info would be needed & as technical as you choose to get ;P)

[bold]herbs[/bold]

4. michigan

michigan Guest

Your DVD players can only play discs fromt he region they are programed to (ie. region 1 will only play region 1) but if you make the disc region free it will play in any player. In the U.S. you will probably have problems with PAL so keep it to NTSC

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Media quality problem maybe?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium[/small]

Last edited: May 11, 2004
  6. michigan

michigan Guest

Yes, It very well could be a bad media problem. To bad we can't just get the word out to everyone before they buy the crap to go with the good stuff to save themselves some money and headaches.

7. raven219

raven219 Member

Media was Packard Bell DVD-R. Any good? If not what would be a good brand (and for -RW)?

Cheers

Raven

8. michigan

michigan Guest

Packard Bell, I don't know about their media but I didn't like their systems. Go with branded Ritek G-04 or branded Verbatim. These are top quality media.

9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Could you ID them for us perchance? Here's a great little tool to do so:

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

10. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi raven219
    I have two sony stand-alone DVD players. The single play Sony DVP-NS300 is picky on what it will play. It is suppost to play VCDs but has major difficulty recognizing VCDs. The other machine is a multi-disc player about 2 years newer - Sony DVP-NS615. It will play almost any disc even VCD's. Discs that will not play on the single play - play on this machine. You may want to burn a +R with the book type set to DVD-Rom
    Since I have made this change I have very few problems with my players reading burnt discs
    I hope this helps

11. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I have a Sony DVP-NS305s & it plays everything I've ever put through it , even Bulkpaq Gen.1 ...
    Only thing it will NOT play is SVCD !!

Packard Bell is not the choice of disc for DVD-Video back ups , I would highly suggest Ritek G04 or Verbatim -R media :)

12. raven219

raven219 Member

Nephilim - As requested. Output from DVD Info.

Media Information
    Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Media code/Manufacturer OPTODISCK001
    Format Capacity Not Formatted
    Free Blocks 411107328
    Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
    Book Type DVD-R
    Media Type DVD-R
    Media Id Code Speed 1.0x 1385KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 1.0x 1385KBps
    Write Strategy Speed 1.0x 1385KBps