1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Separating Disk-at-once mp3 files

Discussion in 'Audio' started by codeqn, Mar 14, 2003.

1. codeqn

codeqn Member

I have some mp3 album that as closely as I can teell have been burned as disk-at-once. When you play them back they only show one track so that you have to scan and hope to find the beginning of a song. When I burn a cd from thhem it will read only as one track, but all the tracks are divided on the cd. Does anyone know how to or where I can get a program that can divide them back into individual tracks? Thanks for the help. C:)

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if I fully understand what you mean
    What is "it" and what will "it" read?

So you have an audio CD burned from 1 large mp3 file and on this CD you can choose song #1, 2 ... e.g. using a standalone CD Player? Strange. Either you have (and use) a CUE file (containing information about where songs start, gaps ...) or a smart burning software (what do you use?) - or I missunderstood.

Anyway - To divide = cut .mp3 files (without loosing quality due to re-encoding) use mp3directcut, available at this site's software section, to cut .wav files use a wave editor (e.g. included in nero, in Exact Audio Copy or as seperate free program Audacity).

3. codeqn

codeqn Member

When I copy and play back wheither the cd is on the computer or if it is on a regular cd player, the player will only register one track. If you turn off the cd player you have to start at the very beginning. If I play the cd on a car stereo I can scan through it and search for the beginning of the song the readout says only one track. I talked to a guy that told me about a cd track cutter, that was what he called it, he let me download the program but it won't separate this type of cd recording. I can unzip any that are zipped or unwrap any. I now have 2 programs that will unwrap but when I try to separate this type of cd the unwrap programs say unknown format. I hope this makes since.

4. codeqn

codeqn Member

It might help to know that I downloaded them from someone else. They downloaded that way. I have Roxio Platnium Easy CD software. But the CD was downloaded from someone else like one big file. If I burn my own I always separate the tracks and never have a problem. C:)

5. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Ahh - thanks. Now it's clear.

This sounds to me like you tried to copy the .cda file directly from CD without an audio extraction program. This doesn't work, but nevermind - it's not necessary since you have the downloaded mp3 file. There are several possibilities to get a CD with seperated tracks from this file:

1. Use mp3directcut mentioned above to cut the long mp3 in short ones.

2. Use a wave editor like audacity to seperate the tracks (it decodes to .wav automatically while opening the file), save the tracks to .wav files and use them to burn the CD.

3. Use a CUE-Sheet (file containing information about where to split the file to tracks used by burning software):

3.1. mp3directcut can create Cue-Sheets too AFAIK.

3.2. Use CUEmaster (get it at http://cuemaster.host.sk/)

3.3. If the CD is well-known you can get a CUE-Sheet at http://www.cuesheet.info .

The advantage of using CUE-Sheets is that you don't have to change the mp3 file but you can burn it to seperate tracks and even listen to it in some audio players (foobar2000, winamp with mp3cue plugin), the advantage of using a wave editor: it's easy and fast.

6. codeqn

codeqn Member

Hi! My husband looked and found the directcut download and it looks like that is exactly what I needed. What little I got to play with it, it looks good. Thanks for your help. C;-)