1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serial ATA DVD writer Problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by john179, Aug 26, 2007.

1. john179

john179 Active member

I'm hoping someone can help me sort the following problem out which i have been having since i built this system on and off like and now seems to be getting worse.The problem is when i put a disc in to one of my dvd writers the computer often freeze's up and i have to re boot.I'm currently using windows vista but had the same problem when i was running on XP.I have the following dvd writers installed in my pc.

NEC Optiarc AD SATA 7170S
    Lite-on LH20A1S SATA
    ASUS 1814BLT SATA Lightscribe

Two of the drives are a couple of weeks old and the other a couple of months.Both of my hard drives are also only a couple of months old and same with the rest of the system apart from the graphic card.

So i have my system set up with x2 IDE hard drives and x 3 serial ata writes and i have tried the following things to try and resolve the problem.

1.Re installed the drivers.
    2.Tried different versions of windows.
    3.Used registry software to remove errors.
    4.Updated the bios on my motherboard.
    5.Updated the serial ata driver.
    6.Flashed all the writers with the most up to date firmwares.
    7.Tried different types of media to ensure it's not a bad batch of media.

Still the problem is with me and i'm looking for other ideas of how i can resolve this problem.If anyone can shed any light on this problem i would really appreciate it as it's staring to do my head in.

Thanks

John179

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  2. john179

john179 Active member

This problem has now been resolved.

3. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

john179 was suscribed to this thread would like to know how you resolved it. Chris

4. john179

john179 Active member

I think there was conflict between running Sata dvd writers and having my os boot up from a Ide Hd. I'm now using a Sata Hd for my os and the ide hd's are now storage hd which allows the dvd writers to transfer data without the hd lagging behind and stalling.

This has now solved the problem which has been bugging me for months.So anyone who has a Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard i would recomend that if you want to use serial ATA dvd writers you must use a serial ata hard drive to run your os or you may encounter the same problems i have.I hope this thread will help save someone the hassle i have had.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007