1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

server issue...help

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by xopalx, May 9, 2011.

1. xopalx

xopalx Member

Hi Guys,

I have a dm500 setup as a server and am hosting through dyndns.

It was all running fine, but lately the ip address apearing on dyndns under host keeps changing, I then need to log on to dyndnds and change the Ip address to my current location IP address to make the channels work.

This is now happening 3-4 times a day and as far as i know the IP address shouldnt change.

Im using the Virgin Superhub for my internet connection and know that thay have recently had a new firmware rollout.
    So could it be that there is a bug in there firmware or have i not chosen the right settings.

If i was to call virgin and ask them about the IP address what can i say without giving away what i am using a server for.

2. menace404

menace404 Member

Hello xopalx, I had this exact same problem and it took me ages to find the solution so I know how frustrating it is. Ok, on your DM500 there should be a feature called 'INADYN'....it should be under your menu (or the blue panel) under system/device settings, I think google is your friend here to find it exactly on your DM500 but dont worry, it is definitly there somewhere no matter what image you have.
    When you find it, go in and enable the feature and fill in the relevant fields such as your user name and password (the one you use to log onto dyndns.org), your server address etc, and most importantly the update time in minutes.
    What this feature does, is it auto checks at every interval (depending on the number of minutes you configure it for) and updates the IP address accordingly if it has changed on dyndns.org. Therefore, if you ever reboot your router the IP address will auto update. No more logging on to dyndns.org.

3. xopalx

xopalx Member

Hi Menace,

Thanks for the response,
    My server has been running fine for the last 4 months and havnt had this problem until mid April.
    What would have caused this to happen all or a sudden.

Can i not contact Virgin and ask them why my IP address keeps changing.

4. menace404

menace404 Member

There could be a number of reasons why....firstly, are you rebooting your router more regularily now than you were before??
    Virgin may be doing something at the exchange in your area that is forcing an IP address more regularly (could be maintainence/upgrading anything really).

5. piopat

piopat Active member

you have set the dm500 a static ip address ? ,if the box has a static ip address the ip cant change . there is a new version of dyndns updater which you can download from dyndns.com you could try it and see if it makes any difference .

6. glog

glog Member

you have set the dm500 a static ip address ? ,if the box has a static ip address the ip cant change . there is a new version of dyndns updater which you can download from dyndns.com you could try it and see if it makes any difference .[/quote]

Whether the Dm500 has a static or dynamic IP has nothing to do with this issue.The problem appears to be the External IP and not the internal (LAN) IP's.
    Dyndns is only concerned with the external IP of your router.It doesn't care or indeed know what is behind your router.
    I suggest the problem is either with your ISP or your router.You can call your ISP and tell them you are having disconnects.They can check logs and see when /why the disconnects are happenning.Disconnects may not be that obvious with just normal web browsing but in you situation are blatently obvious.
    I had a very similar problem, ISP replaced the router and all good ever since.
    There is no need to mention anything other than disconnects.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  7. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

its the isp. its cheaper for the isp to use dynamic rather than static ips. solution. order a static ip address off your provider, costs a little, saves major hassle

8. piopat

piopat Active member

Whether the Dm500 has a static or dynamic IP has nothing to do with this issue.The problem appears to be the External IP and not the internal (LAN) IP's.
    Dyndns is only concerned with the external IP of your router.It doesn't care or indeed know what is behind your router.
    I suggest the problem is either with your ISP or your router.You can call your ISP and tell them you are having disconnects.They can check logs and see when /why the disconnects are happenning.Disconnects may not be that obvious with just normal web browsing but in you situation are blatently obvious.
    I had a very similar problem, ISP replaced the router and all good ever since.
    There is no need to mention anything other than disconnects.[/quote]

glog with respect on the norm a person puts there dreambox static ip in to dyndns when opening an account and then they set a dyndns account (and have no issues) others of course pay their isp for a static ip and so use this static ip instead of a dyndns host name ,on the whole this works and i should know with the amount of people i have helped . so your problem may not be the norm ,but it may occur . i disagee with what you have said and it wouldnt be the first time ,and you have made a point of pointing out what you see as an error on my part but if so all people i help would have an issue. glog if you had an issue and fixed it why not do as i did and post a tutorial on how to sort the issue instead of pointing out what you feel or mistakes by others .

9. glog

glog Member

Piopat,
    With all due respect, if you put your static or dynamic internal LAN IP of your DM500 into DYNDNS then it will NOT work.
    Think about it.You are trying to use an INTERNAL Local Area Network IP address in a Dynamic Name Server out in the big world wide web ??? The DYNDNS server cannot see or does not care what is behind your router.All it see's is your unique EXTERNAL IP which is assigned to you by your ISP.

It IS necessary to make your DM500 (server) or PC server a static IP on your own LAN.This ensures connection when you Port Forward.That however can only be achieved after DYNDNS has made its way to your router using your EXTERNAL IP address.

Like I said with all due respect, but I think you are misguiding people in this particular aspect regardless of how many tutorials you have or haven't written.

10. piopat

piopat Active member

well if you are correct and i am wrong then by your reckoning i shouldnt be able to share (externally)its impossible you say and the people i have helped shouldnt be able to share either ,so im sure you can answer this question how come i can share (externally) and so can the people i have helped is this just a fluke ? .you are entitled to your opinion however that does not give you the right to say that im misleading people as you know nothing about me .

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  11. glog

glog Member

The reason you can share is because the first time DYNDNS compares your current External IP to whatever you have manually entered it sees a miscompare and changes it to your actual current external IP.That is what DYNDNS does.It updates it to your current external IP address.
    If you offered Cline's with just your internal LAN IP instead of a DNS or the current (or static) external IP then external sharing would never work.
    My point is that the internal LAN IP of your DM500 (192.168.1.xx) has nothing to do with DYNDNS.The reason it is important to set it to static when using your box as a server is so that you can port forwrd to a constant (static) IP within your local network.As I have already said DYNDNS knows nothing about whats behind your router.And doesn't care.That is YOUR local area network.

I , you and John down the road could easily have their DM500 set up with the same internal LAN static IP.How do you think DYDNS or your clients find their way to your server ? How would it know to go to my, your or John's router ? The ONLY way is by using your unique external IP address.

I think I have logically tried to explain myself in both posts.Maybe you could try and do the same to explain how using your internal LAN IP address in DYNDNS does work other than repeatedly saying it works because it works.
    I am not disagreeing that your system works.But it is incorrect to say that the static internal LAN IP address of your DM500 has anything to do with DYNDNS.

Whether I know anything about you is nothing to do with it.What you have said on this aspect of card sharing is incorrect in my opinion.End of.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  12. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

piopat, read what you have written! on this count glog is correct. you do not put your internal static ip (ie.dhcp disabled) of your dreambox as your dyndns ip address. the dyndns ip is the external ip assigned to your router and has nothing to do with the internal static ip address of your dreambox. all you do is port forward the external ip address to your static internal ip address and this is done within your router

13. piopat

piopat Active member

fintann i didnt say i use my internal ip address to share externally i never said that .that of course is incorrect ,i said you enter your server ip when opening a dyndns account.

14. glog

glog Member

Piopat, you seem confused.
    First of all I would recommend you re-read what you actually wrote above.

Secondly, you server is behind your router.It is on your own LAN.
    Hence your server IP = internal IP address

I have made my point above.I won't contribute to this thread anymore.

OP I hope you get your issue sorted.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  15. piopat

piopat Active member

i am not at all confused ,i believe i was very clear in what i said ,i said you set the server (dreambox ) a static ip address and you then open a dyndns account and enter that ip address in the space provided .

Hostname:

Wildcard:
    only for DynDNS Pro users
    create "*.host.dyndns-yourdomain.com" alias
    (for example to use same settings for www.host.dyndns-yourdomain.com)

Service Type:
    Host with IP address
    WebHop Redirect (URL forwarding service)
    Offline Hostname

IP Address: (you type your server/dreambox ip here)

Your current location's IP address is :80.34.100.180 (dyndns always displays your external ip here)

IPv6 Address (optional):

TTL value is 60 seconds. Edit TTL...

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  16. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

ack we're all confusing each other. no matter. things of more importance are afoot. jedward and the eurovision. for the first time in many years i might even watch it. beats watching dustin :)

17. xopalx

xopalx Member

Thanks for all the help guys... managed to get it sorted in the end.