1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

server-side-polymorphism-malware

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by Mez, Aug 23, 2013.

1. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Today was my fun day… Mama didn’t have a honey-do list for me so I played with Trojans…

Found 38 New ZeroDay Trojans and ransomware on a Russian site… All were on the same site as of now but you can bet that it will be all over the net in the next few days.

There were Fake Firefox updater Trojan, Fake IE updater Trojan, Fake Chrome updater Trojan and a ransomware that screwed up your computer and then wanted money to fix it.. Most all of these where the same but had different links on the site..

I turned off all my security and downloaded 4 of them, one of each that was a little different. The sad part is that the fake browser Trojans are easily recognized by us old guys because browsers just do not update from a download on the net, but it may hook the newbies..

After installing and playing around with them, I found the best program for removal is MalwareBytes Anti-Rootkit it did a very good job of removing and cleaning up the registry. I ran Hitman Pro for a second opinion after the clean up and it found nothing. Even though it found nothing, I restored my Boot drive backup just to be on the safe side..

Now I’m happier than a camel on Wednesday :)
    2oG

2. Mez

Mez Active member

I was just snookered by a fake Adobie reader. I Googled for the reader and the top pick looked good and the page looked good but I couldn't down load it because the file looked suspicious to one of my scanners. I did a double take and the url only looked OK if you didn't look too hard. I was pleased that even if I was asleep my security was still awake.

Better safe than sorry.

3. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I don't use Adobe reader anymore, it's a big Target for malware.. Sumatra is lite and does a great job without attracting malware…
    Download -> Sumatra PDF

I also uninstall Java on all my machines. It’s a big target and really not needed.
    Article about Java -> Here!

2oG

4. Mez

Mez Active member

Yes I have disabled Flash and I have not removed Java but I have read about how dangerous Java is. It seams like the industry is moving to make itself less secure at a bad time. I will try Sumatra Adobie products are trouble waiting to happen. I had been running without a PDF reader till I got something I really needed to read.

The US Cloud industry is blaming the NSA for killing their industry because they have hacked into all the different clouds. I figure they are doing us a favor. Maybe companies will think twice before putting anything they want to keep secret in a cloud. If you want to keep something secret it can't be connected to the web or any wireless network.

5. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Flash is surely a target but, there is no alternative at this time so what can you do? :(

More that half the people on the street don't even know what the NSA is and really don't care as they text on their smart phones while driving along..... One damn near run over me today. : o

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you are not supposed to be walking with the traffic but against the traffic.

7. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I wasn't walking (didn't have my walker) I was driving my wheelchair. LOL

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you have your flag up so that drivers can see you?

9. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

3 flags, flashing lights and a windsock

10. aldan

aldan Active member

ah see,it was the windsock that confused em.lol

11. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Shouldn't have.. It never unfurls 'til an 18 wheeler blows by me, then I feel like I'm on a merry-go-round.. Yee Haaaa!!!

12. Mez

Mez Active member

I don't watch youtube on this computer. The family computer has Flash and what ever. We consider that one unsecure. Online purchases are transacted on this one.

That about sums it up. We had a fatality this week ran the kid right over, so you were lucky.

As for the NSA the expected big users were to be big business and the govt. Well I guess they are not all the dumb.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013