1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Services & Programs

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by IonÅphis, Nov 4, 2007.

1. IonÅphis

IonÅphis Member

I realize the title is a bit ambiguous, but didn't know what else to put. Here's the thing, I'm waiting for my new PC to arrive at the end of the year, but even though I realize my current PC is no hardcore machine, I really want to put out the most of it while I can, and it actually makes me feel good to be in control of certain aspects of my Windows.

I have found ways to create batch files to start or stop services for specific occasions, like when playing games turn off all unnecessary services. Although I already have a customized Service listing with only with what I need, there are things like "iPodService.exe" which handles the detection of my iPod that to me, are useless to be running around. I know when I connect my iPod and want the iPodService only running when I turn the iTunes on (I only use iTunes with my iPod).
    So the question is, is there a way to make a service start when I turn Itunes on, and for that same service to stop when I turn the program off? I realize with the batch files, I'd have to create an ON and an OFF batch file, but I'm only using the Itunes/iPod thing as an example, there are many other situations where I'd want this happening and honestly I don't want to litter my Desktop with a load of ON / OFF batch files for each program and its services
    Thanks
    Aphis

2. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

You can try approaching your situation from a different angle by creating hardware profiles. This way you can customize your service settings for certain activities you do. There won't be an on or off switch...but you can log in and out of profiles to change services to meet your needs. So in your case you can create a profile with compatibly for your daily programs, and one for performance. Creating profiles is a fun and easy way to experiment with getting the most out of your pc. Just be sure you monitor the event viewer to see how you computer reacts.

BlackViper has an introductory article on service profiling, be sure to visit his service guides while you are there, as they are quite useful.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  3. IonÅphis

IonÅphis Member

Yeah, I'm well aware of Viper's website, I've based some of the techniques I'm using to Tweak my PC from his tutorials. And really I do have hardware profiles in place, but it doesn't really solve my problem, since all of the occurrences where I'd need services to be turned on would be for an specific application, rather than a whole computer setup issue. So it's illogical for me to log off when I want to turn on iTunes and use the Ipod Service, or use the Ad-Aware 2007 and turn on the aawservice2007.exe service. In these occasions it would be even easier opening services.msc and manually turning them on rather than restart the whole PC.
    Thanks for your support though.
    Aphis

4. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

Well you pointed out what might be the easiest way to do it. It may be a pain to turn on and off, but it might be the only way. You can even create a folder with all of your batch files and have it on your taskbar displayed as a menu, so its out of the way.

To automatically switch it on and off, some sort of script may be written if possible? A trigger that monitors processes that are running?

5. IonÅphis

IonÅphis Member

That was the original idea, something like that, but neither here, or around the internet (from the very limited time I've had to dig around) I've had no luck with it. I just think it's a bit stupid that no one, ever, thought about doing something like this... used correctly it could massively save dozens of memory megabytes.... Opening Print Spooler only when you want to print, ATI or NVidea handlers only when you wanted to reconfigure the card. You could literally go from bare bones to fully functional at the click of a shortcut. And when all is done, and you close everything again, it all goes away, as if it never was there in the first place.... which sounds about right... services have to serve a program or something or someone. To me, there are services on right now that aren't serving anyone but themselves to a couple of my precious memory bytes.
    Aphis

6. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

8chaos, resize your sig to conform to forum rules...max size is 50kb, yours is 88kb.

IonÅphis, clean up the language in your sig...the acronym is fine, omit the definition.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  7. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

8. IonÅphis

IonÅphis Member

well thanks for the support, but to tell you the truth, I have no idea how this helps me...
    I mean, I still have to input the commands when I turn the program on ( to turn the services on) and enter a command to turn the process off, when i shut the program off, right?

9. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

Well, the problem is still the same, yes. You will have to manually turn each additional service on and off.

What you said in your initial post about creating on and off batch files, or something that monitors processes to change automatically seems oddly familiar...

Does anyone have any ideas or want to chime in?