1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Set DVD-R specifically to Region 2

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by poohba42, Jan 29, 2008.

1. poohba42

poohba42 Member

I've done quite a bit of this- however, this maybe a newbie question ;-)

My Philips DVDR 3380 appears to only play the recorded disk on multiregion players. I confirmed this on two dvd players when a disk i created from my camcorder wouldn't play. I found region hacks for these players and then the disk played fine. However, i want to send some footage to relatives and don't want to go thru all the hassle of hacks etc

So what i want to do is actually reset the region coding for the disk to region 2.
    I copied over the video_ts folder and ran FreeDVD, but of course it makes it region 0 (or whatever)
    I know you can remove the coding but i want to specifically set it to region 2, is there any software to do this?
    I remember the original dvd decrypter i'm sure had the option to set it to whatever region you wanted to.

Thanks

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Region 0 means it will play anywhere, BUT make sure format is correct, either NTSC (US) or PAL, for the area

3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

@poohba42
    You cannot make a DVD region coded, like make it region ,2 or 1 or whatever. That would mean that you would "encrypt" the DVD. Once the DVD is copied with a decrypter, it is region free, it will play in any player. The only thing that you have to take care, like iluvendo says, is the PAL/NTSC region coding.

4. Suba

Suba Regular member

Yes Decrypter is able to set region so are other DVD authoring software, but I doubt that region was your problem.
    Most likely you updated firmware by running hack and player ply recordable DVD.
    Since you want to set region 2 (Europe, Japan) from 1 (North America)
    it will make no difference since, if recorded on North American bought recorder, it will most likely be NTSC format, where Europe use PAL for TV. If you play the disk on computer drive (region free)or dick with region 0, than it will play anywhere. On standalone it has to be in TV format, PAL or NTSC.
    Since you, I assume, will send it to Europe, most of their DVD players will play both formats. It is not the same other way around.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  5. poohba42

poohba42 Member

Then i'm confused - In in the UK and the DVDR is a UK model and is set to record in PAL. However, i tried it in a UK tevion dvd/vhs player and it wouldn't play.
    So i found a region hack and it worked after the region hack.

Does this make any more sense?

Are you saying that I was just setting it to play recordable dvds???
    mmmmm

Thanks

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Is it possible that you did not finalize the discs that did not play?

7. poohba42

poohba42 Member

no, they were finalised both in the dvdr and when i did the region free burn in nero.
    Thanks