1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting Fan Speed?(CPU FAN)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by LightXxX, Jan 15, 2011.

1. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

Hi, I have a eMachines W5243 and the CPU FAN(HeatSink) is really annoying(loud) when it's at 1500-1700 RPM... How do i set the speed? When the FAN reached 1900-2191 RPM it's spin faster than 1600 RPM and is almost quiet as 1300 RPM... How do i set a permanent speed? I disable the Smart Fan Function but the fan went straight to freaken 4300 RPM and is really loud and it never gotten to it... I just want the CPU FAN to be at 2191 RPM which is the highest it goes when i run something at 100% CPU Usage... BTW is it even possible to set the eMachines W5243 FAN speed or it's automatically when enabled?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

2 choices - 1: enable the smart fan function in the bios so fan goes faster as cpu gets hotter & slower as cpu gets cooler.
    2: replace current cpu heatsink fan assembly with a bigger aftermarket cpu heatsink fan assembly.

3. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

What do you mean? How do i set FAN speed? BTW is a 4 blade FAN better or 8 Blade better?

4. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

get a bigger chunk of metal on the cpu than what you have, use a utility for it; and cfm and static pressure are the name of the game not necessarily how many blades are there.

5. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

Will, i did some search on PS3 and they said, Get a 19 blades(regular is 17 blades) because air comes through better and is much quieter... Didn't think it work on PC since there's a metal...

6. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

LoL...19 blade fans don't help the PS3 at all. The system automatically sets to fan speed to guarantee YLODs, and a better fan will just be set to run slower. However, this has nothing to do with this thread.

It sounds like the fan in this eMachine is going bad. It should not get quieter above a certain speed. Best bet is to get a quality fan to replace what is on there now. Not very expensive, and no need for a new heatsink. I'm guessing that they used a 70mm fan in there, but I am not sure. Get a ruler and measure from the center of the screwhole on the bottom left to the center of the screwhole on the bottom right...that will give you the size you need.

7. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

Thanks, never knew what side it is and you just told me how to LOL no one never told me XD
    Also, do i replace FAN or the Heatsink? also why does the CPU need a medal part?

8. ddp

what metal part are you talking about, the piece on the cpu or the heatsink?

9. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

metal is one of the best and readily available heat dissipaters in the world. Diamonds surpass it, but so far those guys that make diamond encrusted iPhones havent attempted a heatsink out of it. replace the fan, because the heatsink is custom-built for your needs. id say it is 80mm, but the ruler will tell you for sure. and enermax fans are definitely worth looking into, magma series.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  10. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Actually, most metals are not very good at heat dissipation...copper is good, but expensive, so most heat sinks are aluminum (not metal).

11. ddp

aluminum is still a metal as is copper, gold, silver, mercury(liquid metal),brass, bronze, tin, lead, steel & iron.

12. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

Thanks guys, but why does it need a metal when PS3 doesn't? My PS3 overheat in 10 minutes without the FAN running... Is bigger metal better or stronger FAN?(Faster but same size)

13. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

The PS3 does have heatsinks...two of them...they seem to be a mix of tin and aluminum; not much metal in there if any.

DDP...check out a periodic table; Aluminum is not an alloy or a metal; it is a Metalloid...just like tin. Some aluminum heatsinks may have traces of metals in the alloys; but it is almost all aluminum.

14. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

i was speaking outside of experience, it seems. thanks for the clarification, killerbug.

15. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

Yeah Thanks... So... How do i set my other FAN(System Fans not CPU FAN) to max without turning off Function control? I just took a old PC Heat Sink(FAN not the metal part) but a little bit smaller than the one on my eMachines and reach a max of 3400 RPM or so... How do i set it max? also it's moving RPM as the CPU FAN moves... I don't really get why but it's spinning 100-300 RPM faster than the CPU FAN RPM no matter how high it goes it wont beat the System FAN unless it reach max...

16. ddp

is the system fan 2 wires or 3 wires?

17. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

3-pin PC fans have no in-built speed controls unless they are paired to a specific part (like it it is the fan that comes pre-attached to a graphics card). If your CPU fan is being controlled by the mainboard, it is almost certainly a 4-pin fan.

As for that slow-running system fan: as long as there is power going to it, it runs at maximum speed for that power (If it is a 2 or 3 pin). If you are powering it from the mainboard, it might be getting about 1/2V choked out of it by the resistance of the board circuity, but it is still close to top speed. That fan probably isn't designed to run much faster than it already is (some case fans are only designed for ~1500 RPM). You could probably get a few more RPM by using a molex to 3-pin adapter, but I doubt it would be very noticeable without using monitoring software.

18. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

3 wires

19. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

THe system fan i just pulled form an really old PC that isn't working from it's heatsink fan and i put it as system fan on my eMachines W5243... also it's a 3 pin and it's not using full power... the fan is from a heatsink so it runs faster than 1500 RPM and is much quieter... Waht i need help on now is to get that System Fan to run at max speed which just moves as CPU fan moves and is also about 100-300 RPM faster right now the CPU fan isn't as fast at it(1200-1300) is until CPU at 100% than it will moves but it also goes up to 2000 RPM and system fan would be 2200 RPM

20. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

On the CPU fan, how many pins is the connector? It is just 3 pins or is it 4? If it is just three, then the system is doing fan control by voltage (VERY BAD IDEA, but cheap to build).

If you have a multimeter, check the voltage going to the system fan. Does it change voltage when the reported speed changes? If not, then the problem is with the mainboard...some kind of partial short between the fan speed signal wires for the fans.