1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up home network

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jerecho, Jul 4, 2013.

1. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

I have a wireless router in my office that has a default local address of 192.168.1.1

My computer in my office is connected to this router through a ethernet cable. I also have a printer that is connected with ethernet off this same router. I want to set static ip address on all of my devices and computers.

I also have another router that is going to go in the living room (not wifi) that will connect the tivo, apple tv, ect. My question is should I change the local ip address of the second router to 192.168.2.1? And then once I do that does the static ip address of the devices off of this second router have to start with 192.168.2.101?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

why do you want to set as static instead of dynamic?

3. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

It seems like I have ip conflicts when I don't

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i didn't have that problem when using 2 routers 1 of which was wireless daisychained to the regular router then into the modem. turn everything off, both devices, computers & routers. disconnect all devices & computers. power up the routers but the router connected to the modem 1st. connect the devices & computers to the office router 1st if that router is directly connected to the modem then do 2nd router's devices.

5. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

I could do it that way but I'm also trying to learn how to assign IP addresses to routers and devices so I can always have the option of which way to do it. Am I correct in my original post of how to set up the routers?