1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up printer with GhostScript

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by isaac4130, Aug 19, 2007.

1. isaac4130

isaac4130 Regular member

Hi
    I have just acquired a G5 Mac, which I want to print through my Windows network to a Brother HL-2040 printer.

I have tried a few options, such as turning on the service "TCP/IP printing" to automatic, & I can see the printer on the Mac, however when I got to print it just spits out pages & pages of blank paper.

What I *think* might solve my problem is emulating a Post Script printer , which I think can be done through Ghost Script.
    However, this is all incredibly new to me.

I have installed Ghost Script 8.57, GS View, and Redmon.
    I have tried two tutorial methods to set this up.
    One was here:
    http://iharder.sourceforge.net/current/macosx/winmacprinter/
    and the other here:
    http://www.stat.tamu.edu/~henrik/GSPSprinter/GSPSprinter.html

The latter one seemed more effective - I got a sort of response when doing a test page, but it tried printing to another printer, not the one I want.

I have created a .txt file called "mswinpr2" and saved it the gs folder, as per instructions on the second link above.
    The contents of this file are:

-Ic:\gs\gs8.57\lib;c:\gs\fonts
    -sDEVICE=mswinpr2
    -dNoCancel
    -dNOPAUSE
    -dSAFER
    -sPAPERSIZE=A4

I have set up the printer and to a redirected port - RPT1
    In the properties box under ports>configure port I have the following information:
    Redirect this port to the program:
    C:\Program Files\gs\gs8.57\bin\gswin32c.exe

Arguments for this program are:
    @c:\gs\mswinpr2.txt -sOutputFile="Brother HL-2040 series" -

"run" is set to "hidden" & everything else is default.

When I go to print a test page, the print icon pops up n the task bar for a few seconds, and if you view the active printers it says there is a job waiting, but then it just disappears.

I've tried a few things and keep running into brick walls - so time to turn to trusty afterdawn!
    I realize that there are probably millions of variables here - but if someone sees something that doesn't look right, or has any ideas I could try, you will save me hours of frustration!

Once I can get it to print a test page I should be ok to go from there...

Thanks in advance!
    Isaac.

2. faqman98

faqman98 Regular member

if this prob is big enough just dual boot osx with some version of windows and that should solve all of your problems

3. isaac4130

isaac4130 Regular member

Thanks - I *would* do that - however it's an older PowerPC Mac - and at this stage is only running OS X 10.3

Without the Intel chip I can't dual boot Windows, so need so go the PS printer route