1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up RAID 0 with no floppy drive?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mduga, Sep 4, 2007.

1. mduga

mduga Regular member

I just got a new 750 gb hard drive. My computer has been running slow lately and I am sure it has a lot of spyware and stuff to slow it down. So I decided to do a reinstall of windows xp. I figured since I have 2-80gb hard drives, I would try out RAID 0 with them.

Problem is that the drivers for my SATA card came on CD. I set up the RAID and when I put windows xp cd in to reinstall, it says push f6 i think, to install raid drivers... I did. Then it says it needs to be on a floppy? What the hell?

Who uses floppies these days? I bought my computer like 2 years ago and it didn't even come with a floppy drive. I am not buying a stupid floppy drive to just install RAID. Why can't I do it from the CD? I was so pissed. So I had to get rid of the RAID and reinstall WinXP on 1 of the drives. Is there any other way that I can do this without having a floppy drive? Why would they even put the drivers on a CD if it's not even possible to install them unless you have a floppy? Got a fresh install of windows now, but no RAID 0. There must be some way to do it...

Thanks for any help.

EDIT:
    I see there is a way to make a new WinXP install disc, with the RAID drivers on it using nlite. How do I know which drivers to use? I have an Intel 925X Express chipset. On Intels site, there are the drivers, but it's just a program to make a floppy with the drivers on it. I don't have a floppy drive, and it just says to insert a floppy into drive A: (Kind of hard cause I don't have a drive A:)

This just shows how old WinXP is!!! But I don't want vista...

Hopefully someone know how to bypass this problem. I have a usb flash drive, but it won't let me format that as a floppy either... I think it is too old.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  2. mduga

mduga Regular member

Alright, my new question is how do I make my install disc using nLite? I put my Windows XP disc in and copied it to the computer. I just want to add the RAID drivers for my Intel 925x Xpress chipset so I can setup my 2-80gb hard drives in RAID 0. I believe I found the right drivers. The only problem is I wanna make sure it's right, because I will have to start over from scratch and all my stuff will be deleted. I already did this once.

Thanks.

3. jestah57

jestah57 Regular member

I dont know about you, but for my SATA drives, I had to make the floppy from my motherboard CD so that the drivers Windows reads clicks with the mobo, when XP went through the install and read its own RAID drivers, it still didnt see my HDD.

4. mduga

mduga Regular member

I don't have a floppy drive though... Otherwise, I would have already done this. I have an add on SATA card, plus I have SATA built onto my motherboard. I am not sure which drivers to use for the motherboard, but for the addon SATA card, I have a CD. I was thinking of just connecting my drives to the SATA card (since I already know what drivers to use) in RAID 0. I will try putting the drivers into nLite.

nLite supposedly copies the Windows XP disc to your computer, then you can add drivers to it and even all the updates and stuff, so when you install it, you don't have to do all updates. I am not sure how to really do all of it, but think I will give it a try 1 more time before giving up. After you add everything you want, you can burn it on a CD-R. Not sure how XP will like it though, since you have to go through activation and all that. I am guessing I won't be able to activate a burned CD-R of Windows XP. I didn't even think about this until now... Maybe I will just give up now, unless someone know of a way to do this and could give me a little help.

5. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007